The Acoustic Guitar Forum  

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-24-2008, 10:20 AM

Default Taylor 555 12 string

One day I'd like to pick up a 12 string because I've always loved the 12 string vibe. What do you think about the 555, which is now discontinued? I see them around occasionally and they always look nice. Why did Taylor stop making it? I really love the all Koa 12 strings, but it would be quite a long time before I probably consider that kind of $$. Is there a big difference between the sound of the 355, 455, 555 and 655? I haven't had much experience with maple, but it seems like the 655 would be a great wood combo for a 12 string. Thanks!
Old 10-24-2008, 10:43 AM

555 is a great guitar and essntially the ssame model kottke fell for...

but if it were me, and i wanted a 12, i'd go maple or rosewood....

1971 Guild D25
1971 Marin 000-18
2013 Klema K300-JC
Old 10-24-2008, 12:50 PM
Perennially Maladroit

Quote:
Originally Posted by zookroo1 View Post
One day I'd like to pick up a 12 string because I've always loved the 12 string vibe. What do you think about the 555, which is now discontinued?
I owned a 555 for a number of years (10+) and for me, it was the quintessential 12-string for that time. Very easy to play, rich, full tone, rumbled when tuned down a step or two— just a real pleasure to play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zookroo1 View Post
I haven't had much experience with maple, but it seems like the 655 would be a great wood combo for a 12 string. Thanks!
Personal preference...I don't believe you'll hear a HUGE difference with Taylor 12s with regards to wood choices (maybe a bit more punch with maple or rosewood vs mahogany).

“Blessed are the poor in spirit, For theirs is the kingdom of heaven.—Matthew 5:3 (NKJV)
Old 10-24-2008, 10:36 PM

Thumbs up 555 times the love

I cannot speak to the subject of woods. All I can tell you is that I can't get enough of my 1982 555 (mahogany body, spruce top, rosewood bridge). I acquired it only about two months ago.

I have never felt this way about a guitar - even when I bought a new Martin D-35 back in 1977 (now THAT was one great guitar and I pined over the loss of it for years).

This guitar has a life of its own. It sparkles. It rumbles. It roars. It sighs. I play a hybrid finger-picking style - flat-pick + finger-picks on middle & ring fingers. I look forward to coming home from the office and playing it. I am seriously hooked, and Doc, if there's a cure, I don't want it.

Gushing aside - every guitar is unique. You just have to sit down in a quiet room with each of them and play 'em until you find the one that you've just gotta have.

Taylor 555 '82
Martin DM '97
Yamaha EZ-AG
Washburn Rover /w Fishman Matrix Infinity UST
Shen SB-100 (double bass) 2010

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion