The Acoustic Guitar Forum  

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-24-2008, 08:50 AM

Default Bone vs. Graphtec on my new Larrivee OM40

Hello all.
Just signed up to your community after lurking for a few weeks. After exhaustive research, I've just purchased what I consider to be my first fine guitar. A Larrivee OM40 and I'm loving it.
My question as indicated above is regarding the stock saddle (Graphtec) on the OM.
I've read here that a bone saddle can make a significant difference in the tone of the instrument. When I discussed this with the retailer, he said that the Graphtec saddles on Larrivees are so close to bone that I would probably not notice a difference in tone.
Opinions?
Old 07-24-2008, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidb View Post
Hello all.
Just signed up to your community after lurking for a few weeks. After exhaustive research, I've just purchased what I consider to be my first fine guitar. A Larrivee OM40 and I'm loving it.
My question as indicated above is regarding the stock saddle (Graphtec) on the OM.
I've read here that a bone saddle can make a significant difference in the tone of the instrument. When I discussed this with the retailer, he said that the Graphtec saddles on Larrivees are so close to bone that I would probably not notice a difference in tone.
Opinions?
I've anything but a golden ear, but I've always replaced stock saddles with bone replacements on any guitar that didn't have perfect intonation ($30 is a small price ot pay for good intonation!). the best results were on a weird sigma with macassar ebony b&s that had a plastic nut originally. after poping the bone in there, the guitar literally came alive. the bass response on it was flipping phenomenal after that!

with the other 8 or so guitar's I've had professionals install bone nuts in, there was no noticeable difference in tone, just better intonation than the non-shaped nuts that were originally in them.

actually, my mahogany/spruce dread tak had slightly better sustain afterwords, but it was most likely the better strings it was strung with.

but once again, I am guessing my ear isn't great at hearing the differences
Old 07-24-2008, 09:51 AM

I believe that Larrivees are reasonably well compensated at the factory. My OM-05 has no problems with its intonation. That being said, at the next string change, a Colosi bone saddle is being installed. What's that old statement, "do what I say not what I do."

2007 Taylor GS M/S, 2002 Taylor 710 Ltd, 10 year old app. Seagull S12, 2007 SilverCreek T-160, 1960s Harmony Tenor, Harmony Parlor, 1969 Martin D-18, 1954 Gibson J-45, 2003 Taylor Big Baby,1961 Fender Jazzmaster, 1920s-something Martin Mandolin, Metcalf OM, Metcalf Walnut Dred, 1938 Paramount Tenor, Larrivee Parlor.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:23 AM

I've had guitars that the bone was just too soft and wore very fast. Unless the manufacture or builder can affirm that the bone is consistent and hard, I usually change to Graphtec Tusq with the first string change (still, I only have one guitar that still has a bone nut and saddle). I have also found Tusq to be more consitent in volume across all strings to my ear. I guess I'm one of the few that will admit I like the Graphtec Tusq product.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:26 AM
Bang for the Buck Guitars

what's a OM40?
Old 07-24-2008, 11:35 AM

OM-40 is a special edition OM-03R (with some extra detailing) made specifically for a Canadian retailer. I'll post a picture when I get the chance.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:39 AM

Default Ivory

I went with ivory and yes I can tell a major difference, especially in sustain. and yes it is documented pre-ban elephant ivory from a museum piece. so no need to lecture me, lol

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion