The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-17-2007, 02:53 PM

Cool Best effects pedals for worship guitar

Perhaps my title is a bit misleading. I know there is no "best" pedal that will somehow magically enhance worship. Nor is there a pedal that would be used just for worship.

That being said, let me describe what I'm looking for. I play acoustic guitar on my worship team- some strumming, mostly a sort of hybrid flatpicking that sort of sounds like fingerpicking but is done with a pick.

I'm looking for something to enhance my sound, and allow me offer a slightly different sound from time to time. I'm not looking for heavy distortion, just something to add some variety from time to time, as opposed to the sound of just going straight into the PA. I have used a chorus pedal in the past, and it seemed to work well. Would a compression pedal be worthwhile? Would a DI make a difference in sound quality? Is there something else out there that you are using that you would recomend?

BTW I usually play a Taylor 110E or a 455ES through a Yamaha sound board.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Jack
Martin DX1ae
Fender CD 60SCE-12
Old 09-17-2007, 03:18 PM
Me

The Yamaha AG Stomp is very versatile and offers a lot of different sound possibilities. If you like gear and a lot of options/knobs, that might be a great choice. You might like the Boss AD8 also.

If you want something simple, look at the Boss AD3.

Last edited by SteveS; 09-17-2007 at 03:28 PM.
Old 09-17-2007, 03:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum205 View Post
...I'm looking for something to enhance my sound, and allow me offer a slightly different sound from time to time. I'm not looking for heavy distortion, just something to add some variety from time to time, as opposed to the sound of just going straight into the PA. I have used a chorus pedal in the past, and it seemed to work well. Would a compression pedal be worthwhile? Would a DI make a difference in sound quality? Is there something else out there that you are using that you would recomend?
Hi Jack...
The two best enhancements to the guitar in worship are a good keyboardist and a great bassist...better than any pedal. A third enhancement is to sing in tune...I'm not kidding about any of the three.

Give me a good guitarist without effects if you have these three and we will create a dynamite sound! Pedals don't substitute for talent...

If I were forced to use a pedal it would be chorus or phase, and in that order. Perhaps a tiny bit of Delay (I own a Line6 delay for my electric and use if mostly for looping).

Are you looking for some fullness that seems to be lacking or motion when you are not busily strumming?

Compression won't do it, nor distortion for all-encompassing light pick-me-ups. Flanging and tremelo are very specific to certain sounds/songs and not universal tools.

Chorus is what most folks use because it can pretty much be turned on and forgotten and still sound ok.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 09-17-2007, 03:39 PM
Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Pedals don't substitute for talent...
Ouch, no need to get personal.

I like the AD3 a lot. It has chorus and reverb. It has feedback and tone controls. It adds a bit of warmth and richness to a pickup. Nothing fancy or hard to use, just a simple tool that makes your guitar sound better. No, it does not make up for lack of talent.
Old 09-17-2007, 04:00 PM

Yamaha AG Stomp

That seems like a very popular pedal (which I think is no longer made?). Also, maybe consider a Line 6 Pod?
Old 09-17-2007, 04:09 PM

Has anyone heard beachbum play? Jeez.

Anyway, I would agree that in a worship setting less is more when it comes to effects. I play off and on during worship and I don't use anything with electric or acoustic. Maybe a little reverb if the room is small (which usually isn't the case). I personally wouldn't want chorus or phase, but either would work I guess if they were added carefully. In a prior incarnation of our worship band I used some distortion on certain things, but once again it was highly dependent on the songs we were playing that morning (we were doing quite a few originals).

All of these comments are based on my individual taste, however. I may lose a bit of credibility with full disclosure ... I don't listen to any contemporary Christian music outside of church, so I'm not familiar with the recorded versions of the songs in most cases. For all I know they are drenched in effects like chorus.
Old 09-17-2007, 04:15 PM

at our church, usually we don't use any sort of effects pedal for the lead acoustic. we either plug into an avalon U5 or a LR baggs PARA DI. and when i use my 810ce, i'll plug straight into the PA. =)
Old 09-17-2007, 04:23 PM

I agree, less is more. Rather than effects, I would suggest a Baggs PADI in your signal chain.

If you'll excuse the expression, I wouldn't trade mine for God, love nor money!
Old 09-17-2007, 04:23 PM

Default Line 6

I occasionally run a Line 6 POD. LOTS AND LOTS of effects. A ton of stuff I'll never in my wildest dreams use. But the good thing about it is that you can download effects so you could set a whole bank with just various acoustic stuff.
It's also kind of handy when you don't have an electric guitarist. You can tap a pedal and bingo, you have one.
Old 09-17-2007, 04:35 PM

This isn't meant to be smart assy, though I am sometimes, but what about a delay reverb pedal from boss. Great stuff but a little pricey. I could play for hours using that thing. I never tried it with acoustics but I bet it would sound great, like the voice of God echoing down from the heavens.
Martin dm 112
Carvin h2 holdsworth

Our task must be to free ourselves by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature and it's beauty.
Albert Einstein
Old 09-17-2007, 05:39 PM

I've seen the Line 6 POD used at my church ... great pedal.
www.cornerstoneguitar.com

Ukuleles...
www.cornerstoneukes.com
Old 09-17-2007, 06:26 PM

Best effects for worship guitar are none. You know, out on a rock looking over the ocean or in the forest with just you, your guitar and your maker out in nature.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:46 PM

I don't use any myself during our worship, but i'd enjoy a chorus pedal now and again. I do'nt think anything else would be appropriate for our situation.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:06 PM
Only visiting this planet

I'm only using the PADI myself, I got straight to the board, I like chorus too though but haven't used it in church yet, just my acoustic, pianist, bassist & vocalists.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:19 PM

I was using chorus for awhile, but the sound has gotten so overdone over the years that I decided I like the clean sound better. Sometimes just a touch of chorus to "fatten" your sound up is a nice touch. Any more than a touch though and it starts to sound like the overdone chorusy pop music of decades past...IMO.

One effect that I did like was the BBE Acoustimax. The Maximizer does not really color your sound. It just enhances certain frequencies to make it stand out more in the mix. I liked it very much. It's similar to the Aphex Big Bottom Exciter.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion