The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-17-2007, 01:04 PM

Default Bose PA system - Incredible!!!

One of the vocalists in my band just picked up a Bose PA "stick". We used it for rehearsal last night and it is absolutely incredible!! I plugged in my 914ce and couldn't believe how nice it sounded. The vocals were clear...the instruments were just perfect in the mix. Highly recommended!

We were so impressed that we are going to pick up a second one with the bass unit (used). They are a bit expensive (though, used prices aren't that bad). The thing I noticed was a real 3 dimensional sound without the need for any monitors.

Anyone that uses these have any tips or tricks. I also noticed that the "presets" card only included one Taylor acoustic. I know they have more presets. Are these something you have to upgrade or download something?
Taylor 914ce
Martin D28e Modern Deluxe
Fender American Stratocaster
Fender Custom Shop '55 Stratocaster (Sunburst Relic)
Fender Custom Shop '51 Nocaster (Blonde Relic)
Old 08-17-2007, 01:51 PM

Big Bose fan here too.
All the info and help you may need is on this bose web site.

come to one of our shows just east of Atlanta!
http://mikeandkayte.com
Old 08-17-2007, 02:56 PM

My duet has been using the Bose L1 for over a year now.

They are great, actually, we are playing tonight and I can't wait.

I can't wait to use the Bose System more than anything.

I still get excited about this gear even after a year.

It is so..so...easy. Everytime we play, I just turn it up..

No eq, no effects, no check 1 - 2 - 3 for 5 minutes.

Just play and think about playing, not how we sound.

Compliments are amazing.

Usually everyone who ask says "Oh Bose, that's why it sounds so good."

Later and good luck.

Steve
Old 08-17-2007, 05:31 PM

Quote:
The thing I noticed was a real 3 dimensional sound without the need for any monitors.
That's what I hear from mine also.
Old 08-17-2007, 05:45 PM

I only got to demo one but I was convinced at that moment that if I ever needed a live rig, that was the one. Takes a bit of getting used to, the sound coming from behind you and all, but it's just flat out awesome. You really need to hear a full band, each player with their own L1 to truly appreciate how excellent and balanced the concept is.

All I need is $2k and I'm in........
Old 08-17-2007, 06:14 PM

how much and where can u get used one...or where is the cheapest place for a new one?
Old 08-18-2007, 08:25 AM

jlott00

You can get them from Bose direct or The Guitar Center.

There is also a 30 or 45 day return policy, no questions asked.

Bose doesn't allow the dealers to negotiate price..Bose has 1 price no matter were you go.

Now if you buy other items they may say they lowered the price but they don't. I had this happen at a GC and when the manager found out he changed to the correct pricing.

My duet played last night outside on a patio with around 150 people. Had a great time, many compliments..even had some musicians say it sounded great and they are gear guys.

The best thing, I was packed in 10 minutes!!
Old 08-18-2007, 09:36 AM

GC does carry some return (used) models at a discount. Actually, they had a couple of used one's on hand (we'll probably pick up the 2nd one too). FWIW, the salesman indicated that some have returned them to upgrade to the L2 model. I'm sure you can find them occasionally on EBay.

For new units, there's no price benefit in buying direct from Bose or going through GC. Bose may offer 12 mo. financing. GC may also offer a similar deal.
Taylor 914ce
Martin D28e Modern Deluxe
Fender American Stratocaster
Fender Custom Shop '55 Stratocaster (Sunburst Relic)
Fender Custom Shop '51 Nocaster (Blonde Relic)
Old 08-18-2007, 09:39 AM
Cocobologist

Musicians Friend carries them also. I bought from MF to save on sales tax and got free shipping. For something this pricey and heavy, the savings turned out to be significant...

| '02 814c Custom (Coco/Sitka) | '03 912ce Custom (Coco/Engelmann)| '06 K65ce | '17 J45 Std. | '10 Breedlove Revival OM DLX (EIR/Adi) | Lots of electrics...
Old 08-19-2007, 05:50 AM

I'm well into my third year with the L-1 and wouldn't use anything else. For a solo or duo acoustic act it's perfect. Mine stays hooked up all the time and is used every day in my music room/studio. Heck, I use it with my iPod at home and for break music at gigs.
Be sure and get the B-1 as well. I'm looking to buy a second one soon to add more bottom end, even though I get nothing but compliments on the sound as it is with only one. If you get a used one, ask if it's got the Taylor Presets update. If it doesn't, Bose will send you a free upgrade disk or you can download it from their website. It's worth it.
Old 08-19-2007, 06:53 AM

Though I still use regular PA's from time to time, I love my L1 as well. Service is amazing. A few months ago I was doing a corporate gig where everything was run by generator and when they finally brought me power, said it was up, so I started everything up and it blew up the powerstand. I called Bose and they overnight shipped a container and total time with cross country shipping was under 3 weeks, even though they claim 4. Service is a flat 250 clams no matter what the problem is. You can exchange for a rebuilt unit for a little more, to save time. In short, they are a great company to do business with.

As to the presets, I'm not aware of any firmware versions beyond 2.0, but there's there's one just right for your guitar I'm sure, it just takes some experimentation. Same for mics; a SM 57 preset may well work better than the preset for your (hypothetical) Beta 58. Your style and sound has an influence.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:22 PM

I'm another Bose user - I have the L1 Classic, 2 B1's and I just recently got the T1 to add a little bit of verb and chorus - it's a joy to setup and use this system!
Old 08-20-2007, 06:28 AM

I'm another Bose user. They are fantastic. Just helped to run sound at MartinFest in Nazareth aq few weekends back. Two towers, two bass units. Ran them in stereo. Had a small board inserted which gave us up to 4 vocals and 5 instruments. A touch of reverb and wa lah... awesome sound.

They are fantastic for solo/duo work. They get pricey and have some feedback issues when trying to get enough stage volume for loud band work, but I've been experimenting with boards and monitoring and using them more like a traditional PA with some success.

max
Old 08-20-2007, 06:54 AM

Count me in, too. I've used the system for 3 years and love it as much today as I did when I bought it. This is one product that lives up to the hype.

You can find used ones on Ebay or craigslist. Expect to pay around 1500 for a used L1 with a B1 (subwoofer).

Last edited by Earthworm; 08-20-2007 at 06:55 AM. Reason: sentence construction
Old 08-20-2007, 10:13 AM
Cocobologist

One more Bose user here. L1 "Classic" with two B1 bass units and the T1 mosdule. This single tower fills a town square with clear, balanced music when I play the local Farmer's Market, but is intimate enough to play a small coffee shop without taking our the room.

You simplay cannot ask for a better system thant he Bose L1...

| '02 814c Custom (Coco/Sitka) | '03 912ce Custom (Coco/Engelmann)| '06 K65ce | '17 J45 Std. | '10 Breedlove Revival OM DLX (EIR/Adi) | Lots of electrics...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification