The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-14-2021, 03:32 PM

I had some time this afternoon to play with the mic/dazzo setup. I'm really liking having a little mic in there. Just adds a bit of "air" to the sound. Now to figure out the 2nd guitar. I could plug it in ch 2, but I'd need to configure it to both ch on/off instead of the ch 1 or ch2 mode I'm currently using. That's no big deal, but when switching guitars on stage, I'd have to remember a) turn "mic power" off b) plug guitar cable into ch 2 c) turn volume of ch 1 off d) adjust the level of 2nd guitar. That's assuming the eq for both was the same, which it probably could be as I don't think either the baggs anthem or the mic in the dazzo/mic combo would really need a lot other than the HPF to avoid feedback. It still seems like a lot to do when I'm on stage at a gig.

I'm going to keep playing with it, I'm sure there is a solution to be had, and adding the mic does sound really great. I don't use a pickup for recording, but I still have to find some time to play with the mid/side part of the preamp.

BTW - a shoutout to Sunny at Sunnaudio. He really helped me put this thing together, sent his mic pre-soldered to the endpin jack with the Dazzo's, gave me a lot of advice and got Teddy from Dazzo involved for that end of it. He even upgraded it to expedited shipping and didn't charge me. That's pretty darn good customer service in my book.
Old 06-14-2021, 06:31 PM

Here is a quick clip of the Dazzo olny, then the same thing with the Sunnaudio "experimenters mic" added in, direct through an Apollo Twin into Logic. Preamp is the Sunnaudio MS-2, which was set to flat, no eq. No post processing - what you hear is what you get. Guitar is an Eastman E20-OM. Let me know what you think.

Old 06-14-2021, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklotz View Post
Here is a quick clip of the Dazzo olny, then the same thing with the Sunnaudio "experimenters mic" added in, direct through an Apollo Twin into Logic. Preamp is the Sunnaudio MS-2, which was set to flat, no eq. No post processing - what you hear is what you get. Guitar is an Eastman E20-OM.
It sounds great!

How is the HighPass Filter set on the mic channel? I guess in a LIVE context, you would probably need to set it up…. Could you please demo that also?
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 06-14-2021, 11:00 PM

I am glad it’s working out for you so far. You can easily hear a difference with the mic. When I am playing live, I never think the mic was needed. Recording direct, the mic seems necessary.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 06-15-2021, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancebo View Post
I am glad it’s working out for you so far. You can easily hear a difference with the mic. When I am playing live, I never think the mic was needed. Recording direct, the mic seems necessary.
You are probably right. I think the Dazzo's sound really good by themselves. I play solo fingerstyle, so the difference would probably be more noticeable doing what I do as opposed to, say, a strummer? I also doubt I'd be able to have as much of the mic blended in as the clip live because of feedback. Like I said, still more experimentation is necessary. Even if I don't use the mic altogether, I'm still really happy with the sound.
Old 06-15-2021, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
It sounds great!

How is the HighPass Filter set on the mic channel? I guess in a LIVE context, you would probably need to set it up…. Could you please demo that also?
Hi Cuki. The HPF was on for that clip. I pretty much always have it on, as I figure there's not much below 80 Hz in an normal acoustic guitar except feedback, at least for what I do. Here is how the preamp was set for the clip. Ch1 is the pickup, ch 2 is the mic. The boost was not engaged:

Old 06-15-2021, 06:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
How would you compare the Anthem and Dazzo?
Ditto on this question. ???
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 06-15-2021, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Hi Cuki. The HPF was on for that clip. I pretty much always have it on, as I figure there's not much below 80 Hz in an normal acoustic guitar except feedback, at least for what I do. Here is how the preamp was set for the clip. Ch1 is the pickup, ch 2 is the mic. The boost was not engaged:
Thanks jklotz
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 06-15-2021, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbroady View Post
Ditto on this question. ???
I saw that question and intentionally avoided it. I still need more time to experiment and play a few more gigs with both before I can give you my honest thoughts. Part of the problem is the dazzo's are in a short scale, OOO style guitar with an addy top and the anthem is in a fan fret long scale GA style guitar with an Engelmann top that I use for drop tunings. Both pickups sound really good, but they are in very different type guitars.

I will say I think the dazzo/mic combo sounds more like "my guitar only louder", which I prefer, but I'm not unhappy with the Anthem by any means. I do like having an external preamp with separate eq for the mic and the pickup, and I like not having a lot of "stuff" inside the guitar and no battery to worry about. But the preamp (I got mine used) and the Dazzo's are expensive. It's all about trade off's I suppose. My initial thoughts are yes, I'd prefer to have Dazzos, mic and preamp instead of the Anthem. Would I remove and Anthem to replace it with Dazzo/mic? Probably not because I'd feel that I was getting in too deep money-wise. This may change, who knows, still too new to me to know for sure.
Old 06-15-2021, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Here is a quick clip of the Dazzo olny, then the same thing with the Sunnaudio "experimenters mic" added in, direct through an Apollo Twin into Logic. Preamp is the Sunnaudio MS-2, which was set to flat, no eq. No post processing - what you hear is what you get. Guitar is an Eastman E20-OM. Let me know what you think.

I actually preferred the first, Dazzo-only clip, though they’re both viable sounds. My first thought when the +mic clip started was “wait, now there’s reverb?” because the mic seems to add a bit of an ambient “tail” to the sound. The Dazzo-only clip seemed clearer, which I liked.
Martin D12X1AE
LaPatrie CW Concert
Old 06-15-2021, 09:58 AM

I like the clip with the mic better. You may find that a different position with the mic may counter some of the reverb quality. Some of the artists using the dual source systems will point the mic perpendicular to the strings, somewhere in the center of the sound hole. Others use it at the back of the sound hole near the x brace cross.
Old 06-15-2021, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightchef View Post
I actually preferred the first, Dazzo-only clip, though they’re both viable sounds. My first thought when the +mic clip started was “wait, now there’s reverb?” because the mic seems to add a bit of an ambient “tail” to the sound. The Dazzo-only clip seemed clearer, which I liked.
Guys, I discovered a problem with the last clip. I had headphones on and didn't realize I had the speakers on and turned up and pointing directly at the guitar from 2 feet away. Ooops. That's where the "reverb/echo" thing was coming from. Try this clip instead, makes a difference when I remember to mute the speakers

Old 06-15-2021, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Guys, I discovered a problem with the last clip. I had headphones on and didn't realize I had the speakers on and turned up and pointing directly at the guitar from 2 feet away. Ooops. That's where the "reverb/echo" thing was coming from. Try this clip instead, makes a difference when I remember to mute the speakers

Wow, yeah, that’s different.

Now the mic version definitely sounds better — has the clarity of the first one plus a healthy serving of midrange richness. You can really hear the harmonics blooming. That’s a very nice sound.
Martin D12X1AE
LaPatrie CW Concert
Old 06-15-2021, 02:54 PM
Charter Member

It seems to me finger style players always want that mic airiness blended in with whichever pickup they choose. My friend's Cole Clark three way sounds really good. Crank the volume with a band? Turn off the mic and the SBT.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 06-15-2021, 04:02 PM
Charter Member

Both with and without the mic sound good!
Adamas I 2087GT-8
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification