The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 04-28-2008, 10:27 AM

Do what John Mayal does! Buy a Squire, cut it down so that it looks like a Steinberg, refinish, then play. I have not read about whether he modifies the electronics, but he does have some great tone.

Hamer Korina Artist
Hamer Daytona
Martin 000-28EC
Cordoba 1a Flamenco
Fender American Vintage Tele 52 RI

DIY Home
Old 04-29-2008, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoder View Post
Do what John Mayal does! Buy a Squire, cut it down so that it looks like a Steinberg, refinish, then play. I have not read about whether he modifies the electronics, but he does have some great tone.
I do want to do that, but after I look at everything (such as getting nicer tuners, etc) it turns out to be as much as a strat from the factory! paint is expensiveeeee

My friend says that Fender has very inconsistent quality and that he wouldn't order one offline. I'm thinking of going through guitar center, placing an order for a Sienna Burst w/ Maple Neck American Standard, then I can play it once it gets there. Do you think that would be my best bet?
Old 04-29-2008, 12:55 PM

That might be a good option for you. I would say the inconsistency is worse on their lower end models, the Squire's, IMHO, are awful. The MIM's occasionally are very good, occasionally very bad, from the ones I've played. The MIA's are, for the most part, all pretty good, and the deluxe/custom shop models are generally spot on. That's a generalization from my personal looking/playing experience.
Old 04-29-2008, 03:46 PM

I've played Strats for decades and have not seen them to be inconsistent at all. There are different models and within those models they are very consistent. As mentioned the American Standards, American Deluxe, and most of the Made in Mexico guitars are superb. Most people (read all) who down-talk Strats - don't play Strats. There's a reason such a large number of well-known professional guitarrists play Strats. You won't go wrong with one.
Old 04-29-2008, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastorSteve View Post
I've played Strats for decades and have not seen them to be inconsistent at all. There are different models and within those models they are very consistent. As mentioned the American Standards, American Deluxe, and most of the Made in Mexico guitars are superb. Most people (read all) who down-talk Strats - don't play Strats. There's a reason such a large number of well-known professional guitarrists play Strats. You won't go wrong with one.
Well, the only two electrics I own... are both strats...

An MIA, and a Clapton...

Just trying to give him my honest assessment regarding his concerns...

YMMV, as always.
Old 04-29-2008, 06:58 PM
.tom the übergeek

Agreed,

I have owned 4 Strats over the years. All American. Some Deluxe, some Standard. I played 25-30 looking for those 4. Each and every one was different. Some better, some worse, some just different.
Old 04-30-2008, 11:09 AM

I also own several Strats, and with the recent use of CNC machines by most American guitar manufacturers, the inconsistencies, if there are any, are usually in the set up, not in the necks themselves.
Old 04-30-2008, 11:19 AM

I have a MIM Strat and it's a great guitar. I've also had an American to compare it to...the MIM still holds up nicely.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagull Lover View Post
4. Go Canadian and buy a Godin.
+1! Maybe one of these....

http://www.godinguitars.com/godinpassionp.htm

Taylor 414e Ltd Claro Walnut__Takamine EC132C__Larrivee 000-40R__Yairi WY-1__Alvarez PJ85SC-DVS & PJ85SC-12DVS, RB30SC__Guild GAD-JF48__Seagull Model 12, S12, S6+ Folk, M4 Spruce__Ibanez AW-25 (12s), PF5CENT __Olympia OD?, OP2__Hohner Morena-HAM 712 mandolin__Flight Ukulele__Yamaha Guitalele
Old 05-01-2008, 08:23 AM

I've found most of Fender's products to be pretty consistant, although you sometimes find one that is exceptional. I ran across a squire the other day that felt and played like an American Standard. I've also run across a number of MIM that were every bit as good as the American counterpart.

But umm... let me throw in another option, Schecter.

Authorized Dealer of:
Breedlove - Jackson - Fender - Martin - Schecter Guitar Research - Crossrock Cases
Old 05-01-2008, 06:33 PM

Thanks for the advice, I'll have to tell my friend this. It seems liek the American Deluxe is the better deal, but I can't find it in Sienna Sunburst. I want the SSS with Sienna Sunburst and Maple neck. Is there any way to sort of 'custom order' this?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars