The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-02-2012, 03:45 AM

Default Can leaving cables plugged into amps / effects consntantly cause damage ?

Just wondering as I like to have my amps, DI, effects pedals set up in my music room so I just switch them on and off I go.

Meaning, all the cables are constantly plugged in and my 'set up' is ready to go at any time.

Is there any danger to leavign the cables plugged in at all times ?

thanks in advance.
The Pickers 43' Gibson LG-2, 09' Furch OM 32SM (custom) , 02' Martin J-40
The Beater 99' Cort Earth 100
What we do on weekends:
http://www.reverbnation.com/doubleshotprague
Old 05-02-2012, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GibbyPrague View Post
Just wondering as I like to have my amps, DI, effects pedals set up in my music room so I just switch them on and off I go.

Meaning, all the cables are constantly plugged in and my 'set up' is ready to go at any time.

Is there any danger to leavign the cables plugged in at all times ?

thanks in advance.
In physical terms, no. No damage will be done. However! most FX units' are switched 'on' when the 'input' jack is inserted, so if you subsequently leave the jack in, then the battery will run down prematurely. So for battery powered devices, always remove just the input jack plug. For acoustic or electric guitars with electronic (battery powered) pickups, then similarly, remove the lead from their output jack socket in this case. All others are ok to leave in.
Yamaha CPX-700/12
Yamaha LS16
Yamaha FG-300
Yamaha FG-580
Vox V2000-DR

+ electric guitars..
Old 05-02-2012, 05:47 AM

Thanks Steve. All my boxes and amps are powered through an adapter, while i plug out from my acoustics which have a batter. Hence Im assuming it should be fine. cheers !

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveyam View Post
In physical terms, no. No damage will be done. However! most FX units' are switched 'on' when the 'input' jack is inserted, so if you subsequently leave the jack in, then the battery will run down prematurely. So for battery powered devices, always remove just the input jack plug. For acoustic or electric guitars with electronic (battery powered) pickups, then similarly, remove the lead from their output jack socket in this case. All others are ok to leave in.
The Pickers 43' Gibson LG-2, 09' Furch OM 32SM (custom) , 02' Martin J-40
The Beater 99' Cort Earth 100
What we do on weekends:
http://www.reverbnation.com/doubleshotprague
Old 05-02-2012, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Thanks Steve. All my boxes and amps are powered through an adapter, while i plug out from my acoustics which have a batter. Hence Im assuming it should be fine. cheers !
Indeed. Dont forget that your (Gibson!) electro-acoustic will need to be disconnected to save its battery.
Yamaha CPX-700/12
Yamaha LS16
Yamaha FG-300
Yamaha FG-580
Vox V2000-DR

+ electric guitars..
Old 05-02-2012, 11:29 AM

IF you live in a particularly damp climate it is good to unplug ALL your cords/cables occasionally and wipe them down and let them air dry. Over time moisture can seep in. I was told to do this back when I lived in a very hunid climate.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Is there any danger to leaving the cables plugged in at all times?
You might trip over them.

Your pets, if you have any, might develop the habit of chewing them (for some reason cats and even some dogs like chewing cords) and then "graduate" to power leads with shocking results.

Other than that, no.

The 1/4" jacks on your equipment will last longer if you leave the cables connected. The cables will last just as long (assuming they aren't exposed to direct sunlight, abnormal temperatures, people stepping on them, sharp tugs from people tripping, etc.) out or in a drawer.

Last edited by him; 05-02-2012 at 02:14 PM.
Old 05-02-2012, 02:47 PM

Only if you trip over them. Don't worry about it.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:15 PM

Like RustyAxe and Him stated above, if you trip over them then you may have issues. Also, in some cases leaving a cable plugged in will still use the battery, as steveyam stated. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:42 AM

That would be correct!! Not so much XLR, but 1/4in will oxydize over time in humid climates, like South Georgia!!
kwh

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrapin View Post
IF you live in a particularly damp climate it is good to unplug ALL your cords/cables occasionally and wipe them down and let them air dry. Over time moisture can seep in. I was told to do this back when I lived in a very hunid climate.
2022 Yamaha FG5
2010 Taylor DN3
Old 05-03-2012, 08:52 AM

Umm... all that humming and popping noise you get when you plug in again is NOT good for your speakers. Depending on how your amp is biased, it might also hasten tube burnout as well. Don't be another lazy slob. There are too many of us as it is already.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabdart View Post
Umm... all that humming and popping noise you get when you plug in again is NOT good for your speakers. Depending on how your amp is biased, it might also hasten tube burnout as well. Don't be another lazy slob. There are too many of us as it is already.
That's a different issue. Gibby is talking about leaving everything "ready to go" but powered down. So it's just a matter of plug in the guitar, power on the amp, and playing. No popping from that, no problem from that.

If you are switching guitars you should zero the volume somewhere in the sound chain (not the guitar) or put the amp in standby/mute.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification