The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-23-2018, 09:47 PM

Default McPherson being built

I always admire the craftsmanship of a good guitar being built. https://youtu.be/aUvd3CPDpA8. I’ve never played a carbon fiber guitar but this sure makes me want to!
2005 Alvarez AJ-60S/12 NAT
2005 Aria Sinsonido AS-100S
2004/5 Fender Stratocaster Deluxe Series (MIM)
1988 Fender F-210S
... and because I love all my children equally:
1974 Tiesco “Strat”
1971 Ronda made for Paul A. Schmitt Music Co.
Old 03-23-2018, 09:52 PM

Wow how cool! Great to see all the workmanship that goes into these, really helps to appreciate the craftsmanship of a good carbon fiber guitar
Old 03-23-2018, 10:34 PM

I was really interested in how things are made, and came across that video recently. It does really make you appreciate and understand the value of these guitars. I tried looking for similar videos for other brands, but only found Factory tour of Composite Acoustics, which is also really fascinating to see how they are made each step of the way.

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3
Old 03-23-2018, 10:34 PM
Charter Member

Nice video! I hadn't seen that before; interesting to see some of the process.
Old 03-24-2018, 09:48 AM

This is the one guitar I really long for, IMO the best CF there is, but I have held off because of standard scale. All my guitars now are 24.9 scale and when I went back to a full 25.5 scale for a while I noticed the tremendous increase in string tension. Because of some hand issues I need less tension. IF McPherson ever builds this guitar in short scale I will own one!
Old 03-24-2018, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
IF McPherson ever builds this guitar in short scale I will own one!
Oh great ... if they do then I have to have one as well.... I need a bigger box... or house or warehouse.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 03-24-2018, 04:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
Oh great ... if they do then I have to have one as well.... I need a bigger box... or house or warehouse.
Funny you should say that...

I have been looking for ways to replace a LOT of stuff with just a few items that do what I need/want. So far, it is looking pretty good.

As for guitars, I really was quite satisfied with my Cargos, and still am. I honestly don't know why I hang on to all the other guitars since I am no longer playing in bands or otherwise performing. It is likely that I will be unloading much of that (except my three Cargos and probably my classical guitar) later this year.

As for my electronics, I just sold one piece of gear and bought a Roland FA-07 keyboard workstation with that money, that will replace EVERYTHING else for non-acoustic music I have except the V-Grand, which I will never get rid of. With 16 tracks, 2000+ instrument sounds built in, and the ability to do a full production that outputs a stereo WAV file mix all on just one keyboard, who needs all that other stuff? So I will be busy this spring really cleaning stuff out. I just don't need the clutter anymore.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 03-24-2018, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbe View Post
I always admire the craftsmanship of a good guitar being built. https://youtu.be/aUvd3CPDpA8. I’ve never played a carbon fiber guitar but this sure makes me want to!
I live just up the road from the McP factory. I took a tour a few years ago and was absolutely blown away by their focus and commitment to perfection. I have little interest in a CF guitar, but if I were to purchase one it'd likely be a McP. I'd assume that commitment to utter perfection in their wood guitars would translate over to their CFs. Only CF guitar I've ever played was a Rainsong. I was pleasantly surprised. Nonetheless neither the Rainsongs, nor the McPs in their videos (taking into account the sound is coming over the internet), despite sounding good, have the clear, projection and "ring" that their wood guitars have. I'll admit to being a traditionalist, but I still think a good wood guitar outshines a good CF--JMO. I suspect Matt McP has more experience with CF from his decades of bow building than most other guitar builders.
Old 03-24-2018, 05:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailpicker View Post
I live just up the road from the McP factory. I took a tour a few years ago and was absolutely blown away by their focus and commitment to perfection. I have little interest in a CF guitar, but if I were to purchase one it'd likely be a McP. I'd assume that commitment to utter perfection in their wood guitars would translate over to their CFs. Only CF guitar I've ever played was a Rainsong. I was pleasantly surprised. Nonetheless neither the Rainsongs, nor the McPs in their videos (taking into account the sound is coming over the internet), despite sounding good, have the clear, projection and "ring" that their wood guitars have. I'll admit to being a traditionalist, but I still think a good wood guitar outshines a good CF. JMO
I tend to agree. However, the convenience of CF is a strong factor in its favor and the fact that they do sound quite good. What I don't get is the folks who continually seem to need to feel that a CF guitar sounds like wood. They don't, just as different types of wood sound different, and even the same type of wood can sound different in different maker's, hands, CF, in all its variations, are a different material again, with a different sound.

To me, CF sounds "good enough" to satisfy me these days, just as MP3s sound good enough for me these days too.

I have a collection of wood guitars, and all are very nice instruments. However, I continually find myself reaching for one of my Cargos simply because it is there, ready to play, rather than stored in its case.

Edit: I should add that I don't think one can compare CF and wood guitars in terms of which sounds better, because they sound different, rather than one being better than the other. CF presents yet another perspective to the sonic collection of the world of guitars.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 03-24-2018, 06:32 PM
Guest 928

I ride with Tony--CF is different. But it is precise, it is clear, it is reliable, and it is sweet. Once you get over the fact that traditional (habitual) sound is not the only contribution to music, CF begins to take on a strong character in acoustic and electric guitars.
Old 03-24-2018, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
I ride with Tony--CF is different. But it is precise, it is clear, it is reliable, and it is sweet. Once you get over the fact that traditional (habitual) sound is not the only contribution to music, CF begins to take on a strong character in acoustic and electric guitars.

Ok, I'm sold..Ill try some of them composite guitar things... yous guys are good.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 03-24-2018, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
I tend to agree. However, the convenience of CF is a strong factor in its favor and the fact that they do sound quite good. What I don't get is the folks who continually seem to need to feel that a CF guitar sounds like wood. They don't, just as different types of wood sound different, and even the same type of wood can sound different in different maker's, hands, CF, in all its variations, are a different material again, with a different sound.

To me, CF sounds "good enough" to satisfy me these days, just as MP3s sound good enough for me these days too.

I have a collection of wood guitars, and all are very nice instruments. However, I continually find myself reaching for one of my Cargos simply because it is there, ready to play, rather than stored in its case.

Edit: I should add that I don't think one can compare CF and wood guitars in terms of which sounds better, because they sound different, rather than one being better than the other. CF presents yet another perspective to the sonic collection of the world of guitars.

Tony
Tony,
I hope I didn't come off sounding like I was bashing CF. I understand the convenience aspect, and I understand that they sound different than wood, just like different woods sound different. But as with woods, I'll only plunk my money down on ones which are tonally pleasing to me. Whether certain kind of wood or CF, if not pleasing to me I won't put down the green. To me, "sounding good enough" is not good enough for me.

My wood guitars are always stored in their cases and are always there ready to play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
I fully understand this. Yet I believe it is a matter of what sounds better to the player, whether a particular wood combo or CF. And as I mentioned, although I was pleasantly surprised by the RainSong I played, it didn't light me up, bring a smile to my face, have me clicking my heels.....or, parting with my money. I'm a strong believer in never saying never. But at this point of my life and playing I'll simply say "no" to CF, for my playing tastes and wants. I recognize those tastes and wants vary from player to player. For me CF simply doesn't give me shivers like my Taylor all Koa, or a McP Macassar Ebony with Port Orford top, or a guitar by a small custom maker (I'm blank on his name just now) I recently played. I've gotta admit, I like shivers
Old 03-24-2018, 09:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailpicker View Post
Tony,
I hope I didn't come off sounding like I was bashing CF. I understand the convenience aspect, and I understand that they sound different than wood, just like different woods sound different. But as with woods, I'll only plunk my money down on ones which are tonally pleasing to me. Whether certain kind of wood or CF, if not pleasing to me I won't put down the green. To me, "sounding good enough" is not good enough for me.

My wood guitars are always stored in their cases and are always there ready to play.

I fully understand this. Yet I believe it is a matter of what sounds better to the player, whether a particular wood combo or CF. And as I mentioned, although I was pleasantly surprised by the RainSong I played, it didn't light me up, bring a smile to my face, have me clicking my heels.....or, parting with my money. I'm a strong believer in never saying never. But at this point of my life and playing I'll simply say "no" to CF, for my playing tastes and wants. I recognize those tastes and wants vary from player to player. For me CF simply doesn't give me shivers like my Taylor all Koa, or a McP Macassar Ebony with Port Orford top, or a guitar by a small custom maker (I'm blank on his name just now) I recently played. I've gotta admit, I like shivers
No, I didn't get anything negative from your comments. I agreed and was just adding my own observations.

What you are saying about your personal choices makes perfect sense to me. What I was saying is that CF is just another choice among all the choices we have long had with wood guitars. There is nothing (in my opinion) wrong with whatever choice an individual wishes to make.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 03-24-2018, 09:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
Ok, I'm sold..Ill try some of them composite guitar things... yous guys are good.
Yep! Darn good. We should be selling siding or vacuum cleaners or cars, or maybe even ... encyclopedias. I could be Rich (if I hadn't already been named Tony).

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 04-01-2018, 02:42 PM

What I love about CF guitars happened today. Played two services this morning and we were going to some friend’s house for lunch. I left the Sable in the trunk and didn’t worry a bit. Obviously would never do that with a wood guitar of that caliber. That’s why I love it.

1998 Very Sweet Wife
2000 Cute Daughter (Grand Concert)
2005 Handsome Son (Dreadnought)
2007 Lovely Daughter (Parlor)
2017 Cute Puppy (Duke the Uke)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber