The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 03-21-2018, 03:46 PM

Default Redwood for Bracing?

Any examples of redwood braced acoustics? It seems like I recently read about one but can't find the link for the life of me...

I have acquired some really nice, really old, really stiff Redwood that I am making a bunch of top sets out of. The boards were 2 X 10, which means I have some scrap. Perfect for bracing, and I kind of like the idea of a redwood braced redwood top...
Old 03-21-2018, 05:54 PM

I don't think I've ever seen redwood sold as a guitar bracing material. That's probably saying something.

Those planks you found sound awesome though are they vertical grain too?
Old 03-21-2018, 06:25 PM

Well, actually I just received a Honduran Rosewood, sitka top, redwood braced OM from Ben Wilborn that is outstanding. The guitar hr built before that was a BRW/sinker redwood top braced with the same material. He said this redwood was just slightly less stiff than his stiffest spruce bracing and yet weighed significantly less so it was perfect.

I will post links to videos of the two guitars being played if I can find them. Otherwise go to Wilborn guitars on facebook and look for videos involving the Cinnamon Girl which is mine and the Jupitar which is the BRW guitar.
Old 03-21-2018, 06:28 PM

Here is the Cinnamon Girl:

Old 03-21-2018, 06:32 PM

And here is the Jupitar:

Old 03-22-2018, 10:24 AM

Thanks Tom, that's the one!

@redir - 10 foot long, straight and vertical grain, 40 GPI, God knows how old. Cut from an old snag. Drop dead gorgeous. I also have some 1-piece tops, vertical all the way across.
Old 03-22-2018, 10:39 AM

double post...
Old 03-23-2018, 07:33 PM

You are welcome. I have played them both extensively (The Cinnamon Girl is mine permanently) and both have a beautiful sound and sparkle to them. But Ben did a better job explaining than I.
Old 03-23-2018, 08:52 PM

Well it sure is hard to argue against that. Ben's guitar sounds wonderful. I love those body lines too.

You can do some really simple testing on your redwood. Get some blocks of Sitka and cut braces out to the same dimensions as the redwood and do a simple deflection test on it to get a gist of how it compares.

I love redwood but it makes me nervous too becasue sometimes it seems very brittle, especially the figured stuff.
Old 03-26-2018, 06:34 AM

I am sorry, but I just noticed I posted the same video twice. Here is the other video I wanted to post, it compares two Elliebelles, but the Redwood topped is braced with Redwood also. So the Cinnamon Girl and Jupitar are redwood braced and the Bevelbelle is Engleman I think. Sorry about that.

Last edited by TomB'sox; 03-26-2018 at 06:44 AM.
Old 04-01-2018, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Here is the Cinnamon Girl:

That’s a beautiful sounding guitar to me. Very, very nice! To me there’s an element of warmth that’s more appealing than the other two guitars in the second video.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair