The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-10-2018, 09:51 AM
Guest 720

Default Nylon/Folk strings on Rainsong

Anyone try nylon or folk strings on their Rainsong? Thoughts? Recommendations? Thanks!
Old 03-10-2018, 10:23 AM
Guest 928

Hammer;

If you are talking about a steel string CF guitar then you'll probably find that nylon strings will not give you much projection (though you may still get nylon tonal qualities).

The only exceptions that I can think of are the John Pearse/Thomastic-Infeld folk and Classic S strings.
Old 03-10-2018, 12:23 PM

They look like they might be cool strings.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 03-10-2018, 12:32 PM

Rainsong does make a Nylon version of their Parlor.

As far as I can tell, the only difference between the NP12 and the P12 is a tie style bridge. The neck is the same as the steel string, and Rainsongs do not have internal braces.

Given the technology, I have a hard time believing that there are any actual structural differences. (obviously the nut slots will be cut wider, and possibly higher)
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 03-10-2018, 12:44 PM
Guest 720

I have seen a few videos on youtube where folks have done it, successfully it seems, just curious is anyone here has.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgD1D4dy61g
Old 03-10-2018, 02:04 PM
Charter Member

Interesting, looks like you would want to swap out the nut for the wider treble strings. Or widen the existing one.
Old 03-10-2018, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
Rainsong does make a Nylon version of their Parlor.

As far as I can tell, the only difference between the NP12 and the P12 is a tie style bridge. The neck is the same as the steel string, and Rainsongs do not have internal braces.

Given the technology, I have a hard time believing that there are any actual structural differences. (obviously the nut slots will be cut wider, and possibly higher)
There is a bridge plate like area of hard material in the build up of the RainSong top that could be downsized for nylon. Outside of the bridge plate area, there is a lightweight spacer between the inside and outside layers of CF which might be thinner in the nylon version. They could use lighter CF for the outer and inner surfaces. Or even a wider no spacer flexible flange along the top perimeter (if you look carefully at the top of your RainSong you can see it -- combines a Taylor-like relief route with CF kerfing to attach the top to the sides). There is a lot of complexity hiding inside an unbraced RainSong top...
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 03-10-2018, 04:05 PM
Guest 928

Given the different tensions with nylon and steel strings, it is difficult to believe that one face would work equally well for both--a face strong enough to handle steel would not be as moved by nylon and a face made light enough for nylon might warp under the pressure of steel. Brunner is the only guitar maker I know of who tried to make one guitar (with interchangeable necks) work for both nylon and steel. I've never played one so I can't vouch for how it does or does not work.
Old 03-10-2018, 05:06 PM
Charter Member

A lot of speculation, the one in the video with high tension strings sounds good. Best I can tell on a computer anyway. I have a WS1000 that I was about ready to sell, I think I will see if Rainsong has an opinion before I waste any time or money. I would like to have a Nylon RS.
Old 03-10-2018, 06:56 PM

If you have a WS-1000 in hand, it seems like an easy experiment to make (or have made) a new nut with wider slots for nylon strings. You could probably even just buy a replacement nut for a Taylor nylon string guitar, but those are for a 1-7/8" nut width. (It might stick out a little on either side). Ball-end nylon strings are readily available, so the bridge pins would even work.

Hard tension nylon strings run about 100-105 pounds of total tension, whereas light gauge steel strings are 160-165 pounds. It may be that the nylon won't drive the top well enough for best tone. But it's worth a try before selling. Then you might try a "for trade" ad in the classifieds. There could be someone out there that went nylon and would rather have steel.
Old 03-10-2018, 07:07 PM
Guest 928

I've tried nylon strings on a number of steel string guitars and never been satisfied. The Rainsong Parlor nylon, the Emerald nylons, and the Blackbird nylons are the way to go, in my opinion, if you want a CF carbon fiber nylon strung guitar.
Old 03-10-2018, 07:20 PM
Charter Member

I'll contact RS to see if they have any comment, and go from there.
Old 03-10-2018, 07:38 PM

Just ordered some of those there Pearce string things... hmmmm ..which guitar..?? You all make me buy too many strings.. sigh.. just purchasin'.
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 03-11-2018, 09:47 AM
Guest 928

Jd;

I hope you let us know the Rainsong response.

Mr. K;

I'll be interested in your impression of the new strings.
Old 03-11-2018, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Jd;Mr. K;

I'll be interested in your impression of the new strings.
Not sure which critter to put them on.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber