The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-23-2017, 01:45 AM

Sure, reference to concrete numbers will help. A bit. But anyone who really knows guitars knows that action is a product of many factors, not just string height in a few locations. It's not as though the strings and the fretboard are both straight lines. The fretboard isn't -- depending on the amount of relief and the actual curve for a particular guitar (they're not all the same!). And, of course, fret height is directly related to action as well. And string gauge and tension. And the individual player's touch (pressure). Personally, I find all the postings focused on "string height at the 12th fret" to be only minimally helpful. I never, ever, ever set up any guitar by measuring string height. It doesn't help at all -- not one bit -- when my goal is to get the quickest, clean action for that guitar and my own hands. So I agree that for purposes of comparison, using measurements is absolutely the way to go. Just remember that unless you measure a whole lot of things, and a whole lot of locations on the fretboard, you're not devlivering much relevant information at all.
Old 12-23-2017, 03:35 AM

For me it's a bit like buying clothes, the measurements on the label are a useful reference but you have to try them on to see if they're a good fit.
Old 12-23-2017, 03:54 AM

As far as I am concerned measurement of action is pointless. We all have our individual preferences, there is no ideal setup for everyone and, as was pointed out, what feels correct is all that should concern the player-and not what someone on the internet suggests, be it metric or imperial.
I set up my guitars purely by how they feel in my hands, and there isn't a ruler, feeler gauge or other measuring instrument in sight.
Old 12-23-2017, 04:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahorsewithnonam View Post
Don’t have any measuring tools at age 62 and not about to go buy any. So, low, medium, and high for me.
That must make it very difficult for your tech. There is no "standard low, medium or high."

Most of my Collings are set up with whilst they describe as
"2/32" treb, and 3/32" bass, by which I assume they mean .625" and .9337"

So every time I've bought one the first thing I have to have done is to have a new saddle made to raise it to .080" and .110"

Ten thou means a great deal in terms of playing speed and buzz.
Old 12-23-2017, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmf View Post
'polite' in one sentence and 'no stinking[sp] metric' in the next?
get ye to open mic.
I am assuming you have never watched "The Treasure of the Sierra Madre".

Thankfully, most people here will have "got" the "we don't need no steenking ..." allusion.

Old 12-23-2017, 06:23 AM
Charter Member

An argument against using measurements? So you just do stuff and feel it? Or ask the guitar tech to make the guitar feel and play better to you? So how do they do that? Feel the bumps on your head?

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 12-23-2017, 06:44 AM

It all a bit weird and confusing this metric and imperial thing.

I got berated recently by a guy in a sweet shop (!) for asking for two ounces of sweets, saying I need to get up to date! I asked him how tall he was - he told me 5' 10"!!! [emoji48]

I was born in 1967, was taught metric at school, and yet consider myself to be 5" 8", weighing 13 stone (give or take a few kilograms!) and measure distance in miles and yards. I also prefer my action to be 2.5mm at the bottom E and 1.75mm at the top! I have no idea whatsoever about 64ths etc. as there's all those variations and the whole thing's completely alien to me. I know where I stand with millimetres...and I still have no idea what that shopkeeper was getting himself worked up about!
Old 12-23-2017, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
An argument against using measurements? So you just do stuff and feel it? Or ask the guitar tech to make the guitar feel and play better to you? So how do they do that? Feel the bumps on your head?
After over 30 years of doing business with them the techs at my favourite guitar shop (Manson's), know how I like my guitars. They'll do a quick 'ball-park' set up, ask me how I like it, then continue until it feels right. This is how it should be because, quite simply, all guitars vary and a setup on one might feel very different on another, albeit using the same measurements.
Old 12-23-2017, 07:35 AM

interestingly enough, my luthier gets in the ball park for string height by making little wood wedges sliding them under the strings and marking of the position of the E and e strings, he then writes the players name on the wedge and keeps it for reference.

he has some very famous names on some of those wedges
Old 12-23-2017, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moocheng View Post
interestingly enough, my luthier gets in the ball park for string height by making little wood wedges sliding them under the strings and marking of the position of the E and e strings, he then writes the players name on the wedge and keeps it for reference.

he has some very famous names on some of those wedges
Similarly I have had shoes made by Church's and now have my personally sized last. Any time they don't have a style I like in stock, I just need to quote my last size and number and, voila...
Old 12-23-2017, 09:03 AM

I never measure. I look and feel. If both seem ok then it's low enough. Same at the nut. I just look how much clearance there is between the string and the first fret. The string has to be nearly touching the fret, but not quite. If it can be pressed down to the fret with just the lightest touch it's good to go.
Old 12-23-2017, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silurian View Post
For me it's a bit like buying clothes, the measurements on the label are a useful reference but you have to try them on to see if they're a good fit.

The best answer yet.
Old 12-23-2017, 09:27 AM

Imperial measurements are only better if you don't understand metric.

Everything in Metric is in tens. 10 mm x 23=23 cm I have never found adding or dividing in tens to be difficult. BTW, how long is 11/64 x 23?
Old 12-23-2017, 09:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadfastly View Post
BTW, how long is 11/64 x 23?
3 and 61/64 inches

Last edited by J Patrick; 12-23-2017 at 09:57 AM.
Old 12-23-2017, 09:50 AM

It's all in what you're used to.

I was born and raised in the USA so I'm used to our system, but fully understand Europe's base ten system is than 12" to a foot, 3 feet in a yard.
I worked in a field requiring metric so I'm pretty fluent with both ...

but ...

I'm not fluent (deeply annoyed, actually) with fractions denominators of 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, etc.

When reading a guitar has a 1 3/4 vs. a 1 11/16 nut, I have to stop and think in my head ...
Oh, the denominator of the first must be multiplied by 4 to get the denominator of the second.
So, I have to also multiply the numerator of the first by 4 to compare the first fraction to the second.

What a hassle!

In decimal it requires no time or thinking to instantly just know that 1.9 is that much larger than 1.75 cm.

But hearing the weight of people in stone makes my eyes cross for a fortnight.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion