The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-31-2016, 01:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
The guitar pictured looks like my X10-OSN, other than the pre-amp. While the guitar generally receives a lot of attention, the aspect that most amazes guitar aficionados is the offset on the tuners--it's subtle and innovative. The best thing is that guitar plays and sounds like a dream.
Yes....those offset tuners are slick!

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
Old 12-31-2016, 02:03 PM

I would love to see a OOO size Blackbird with a Truss Rod! My RS Shorty is super to play because I was able to dial in the relief I like not be stuck with what the maker thinks is optimal. I like a almost flat neck I only dial in about .003 relief and remade my own saddle to get the 5/64" action I prefer. Now it's perfect!!
I had a L13 and I liked it but being restricted to only saddle adjustment for the action killed it for me. Had no way to control string buzz when the action was lowered. Need that double action truss. JMO

I am going to search out another CF guitar this year and the BB Ekoa certainly looks like a promising one, don't care for Jumbo body though with the huge round lower bout. But I see it does have a truss and that's a huge step up.
Also like the more traditional wood appearance.
Emerald IMO builds beautiful stuff and that headstock is outstanding but expensive for sure. The only thing I am not totally sold on is the offset soundhole they use and the futuristic headstocks, but that is probably just me because I play traditional Americana and it looks more like a rockers electric headstock to me. Wish they had a more traditional series for the US. Jerry

Last edited by JerryM; 01-04-2017 at 11:26 AM.
Old 12-31-2016, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
Probably not what you're asking, but I'm predicting I'm gonna buy my second CF...
I'm for this one.
Old 12-31-2016, 02:18 PM

Default I predict...

That, unfortunately, we CF, owners will continue to be a fringe group until we get then into the hands. "Mainstream" guitarists. Imagine if Leo Kottke, James Taylor, or Neil Young REALLY made the switch.
Old 12-31-2016, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Man, ya got that right! As Canadians who winter in SW Florida, my wife and I certainly feel it. We're just thankful that we set ourselves up down there in 2012 when our dollar was at par. Not to get political, but we suspect our dollar will fall even more following the incoming U.S. government administration.
Good news for Americans planning to vacation abroad.

As to perditions, both Journey and Blackbird will introduce models at NAMM that will be well received I think, in fact, I would be surprised if one of both don't end up in my personal collection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
...I also wish RS had better customer service and the ability to custom build what a person wants. They are not flexible at all, and have no techs to work on your guitar if sent in. You buy one you need to know how to work on your own or your out of luck. Love the guitar hate the service or lack of!
I'm confused by this complaint, Jerry. It is well known around here that Rainsong has outstanding customer service, and have an excellent staff who can handle any warranty related issues that would ever come up. No, they don't offer custom work, but neither does CA, or Journey. Can I ask what work you would like done on your Shorty?

Last edited by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales; 12-31-2016 at 02:36 PM.
Old 12-31-2016, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
..... I am going to search out another CF guitar this year and the BB Ekoa certainly looks like a promising one, don't care for Jumbo body though with the huge round lower bout. But I see it does have a truss and that's a huge step up. Also like the more traditional wood appearance.
Jerry, the Blackbird El Capitan is actually a small jumbo, much closer to a GA body size than a true jumbo. To avoid repetition, please see my more detailed comments in post #7 on page 1. It might be right up your alley, ticking off most of your wish-list boxes.
Old 12-31-2016, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixedgear60 View Post
Hi Everyone,

It is that time of year again and would love to hear what was exciting to you in CF guitars and what you would like to see in 2017!!!

Chris
What I would like to see:

Emerald make the X10-os a standard stock item.
Rainsong start making a 12-string again, WS3000 or WS3005
Rainsong make a 00.
Blackbird make a 00 with an adjustable truss rod.

Of those, I think the X10 is the most likely.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 12-31-2016, 06:40 PM

Oh man, if only the manufacturers paid closer attention to these threads we create (of course with the exception being Emerald since they are showing quite a presence on the CF).

I would love RainSong to create a non-cutaway OM in a satin finish. Don't know why I would need one, but I'd probably buy one. A 14 fretter preferably. Actually, it would be cool if RainSong made any of their models in a non-cutaway.

Tell me that wouldn't be cool folks!

Last edited by steelvibe; 12-31-2016 at 06:53 PM.
Old 12-31-2016, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
What I would like to see:

Emerald make the X10-os a standard stock item.
Rainsong start making a 12-string again, WS3000 or WS3005
Rainsong make a 00.
Blackbird make a 00 with an adjustable truss rod.

Of those, I think the X10 is the most likely.
I have a feeling that Emerald has a new X10 in the works but just haven't perfected it to the point that they're ready to mass produce it yet. There sure is a lot of interest in it, including myself.
Old 01-01-2017, 03:50 AM

Not so much a prediction as a wish: An ekoa lucky 13 (or something 00-ish), burst is good. I have seen a burst on an el capitan which was subtle but I liked it. Academic in my case as I can't see me purchasing another guitar any time soon....so here's another wish: a Blackbird distributor in Australia so I can at least try my hypothetical guitar when it comes out!
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 01-01-2017, 04:08 AM

Blackbird being my favourite guitar company, I'm watching closely. I asked a while ago is they had plans for an OM in eKoa, but they replied that they hd no plans for a Super OM in eKoa. Bad communication its seems.

They now have a range of models and each new model has not been competition to any other due to body shapes. So this guitar will either be a new body shape + ekoa (this is what I predict), or a similar body size to an existing Blackbird guitar in eKoa.

I'm going to predict that it won't be a L13 in eKoa, because that guitar was wholly designed around CF, eKoa as a different material might(?) need different construction considerations.
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos

Last edited by sirwhale; 01-01-2017 at 05:42 AM.
Old 01-01-2017, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
Oh man, if only the manufacturers paid closer attention to these threads we create (of course with the exception being Emerald since they are showing quite a presence on the CF).
Sean, I can assure you that all the builders read these forums, but unlike Emerald, the others have a much better source for valuable info, their dealers. For instance, countless people have been in our store trying CF guitars over the years, and I've talked with many, many more over the phone about what they are looking for in a CF guitar. I can tell you this, no one ever asked me for a slotted headstock, fan fret, double neck, or a 9-string version of a Rainsong, and the interest in nylon strings CF guitars is minimal at best. I was an Emerald dealer for a few years, long enough I think to know what would sell for them, and IMO, they actually dropped their most competitive models.

Yes, I would love to see a 00 Rainsong, as it's my favorite size, but they already have a 0 that can do everything a 00 can, so I doubt the 00 would bring more consumers to the brand. Building guitars with, and without a cutaway would also be great, but given that cutaways are not a deal breaker for most, spending huge resources on new molds to provide that option probably doesn't make much financial sense.

So while most builders don't seem to be giving us everything we are wishing for, know that they are listening, and are taking our suggestions in to consideration.

Happy New Year everyone!
Old 01-01-2017, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post

Yes, I would love to see a 00 Rainsong, as it's my favorite size, but they already have a 0 that can do everything a 00 can, so I doubt the 00 would bring more consumers to the brand. Building guitars with, and without a cutaway would also be great, but given that cutaways are not a deal breaker for most, spending huge resources on new molds to provide that option probably doesn't make much financial sense.

Happy New Year everyone!
I agree, those molds are expensive. If anything I would expect Rainsong to offer a dread WITH a cutaway before spending the money on a OM mold without one.

And much as I would like them to make a new mold for a 12-string, I think that 12s only comprise about 5% of the total acoustic market, so...
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 01-01-2017, 02:48 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
Sean, I can assure you that all the builders read these forums, but unlike Emerald, the others have a much better source for valuable info, their dealers. For instance, countless people have been in our store trying CF guitars over the years, and I've talked with many, many more over the phone about what they are looking for in a CF guitar. I can tell you this, no one ever asked me for a slotted headstock, fan fret, double neck, or a 9-string version of a Rainsong, and the interest in nylon strings CF guitars is minimal at best. I was an Emerald dealer for a few years, long enough I think to know what would sell for them, and IMO, they actually dropped their most competitive models.
All of the composite guitar builders are innovators who took huge risks when striking out into the great unknown to create their own niche and have needed to evolve fluid business models to keep them in business. Emerald is no different, except that they've raised the bar on what is possible within very flexible processes that only they, thus far, seem to be offering...AND they have modified their delivery model to direct-to-consumer that appears to be working for them (anyone following here and their FB page knows that they are striking a really big chord). Assuming they follow-through on their 'road trip' try-before-you-buy program to get their guitars into the hands of players, their success will probably be enhanced. Traditional dealers may not like it, but we live in an ever-changing business environment. Just because players don't ask in a store for unique innovations because they haven't been exposed, doesn't mean there isn't interest. By nature, we aficionados are types open to innovation and aren't afraid to defy convention, even in the face of ridicule. I very much appreciate that Emerald is pushing the envelope, and I'm not alone. Hopefully, the other builders will feel pushed to become more flexible. We players will be the benefactors.

Last edited by Acousticado; 01-01-2017 at 03:11 PM.
Old 01-01-2017, 03:07 PM

I would like to see Composite Acoustics actually build and ship the GX I ordered back in September. Does Ted (or anyone else) know if CA is having any production issues right now?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber