The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-21-2009, 01:04 AM

Default Is anyone familiar with the Yamaha FG-250D?

Since i did not win the Woolson guitar, i decided to buy this yamaha FG-250D on my local craigslist today which looks like it has not been touched . I bought it for a VERY good price, practically nothing.

Is anyone familiar with this particular model? I did not get much from google, only that i assume its from the 80's? There is a fg-250D with snowflake fret markers that i saw, but mine does not have the snowflake inlay. It is just the regular dot.

The main thing i am wondering is if the top is solid or laminate. I am assuming the back/sides are laminate (nato?)

Overall the guitar is in perfect condition and sounds good with the very old strings it came with. Once i put new strings on it im sure itll sound great especially for the price i paid!

Any input or thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Bad pictures, i know...

Old 03-21-2009, 01:36 AM

A check of Yamaha's Guit-Archive reveals the following...

SPECIFICATIONS: FG250D

Year(s) Sold: 1980-86
Top: Spruce
Back / Sides: Agathis
Neck: Nato
Fingerboard: Indian Rosewood
Bridge: Indian Rosewood
Color(s): Natural
String Length: 636mm
Notes: No MSRP/No US distribution

Yamaha always tells you if the top, back and sides are solid.

Since this one doesn't state it, it's probably all laminate.

I'll bet it sounds great, though.

Congrats on your score!

Old 03-21-2009, 02:14 AM

Ahhh ok. Thanks for the info! I didn't even know you could search in yamaha archives until you stated you checked in the archives! Just googled it and there it was!

All laminate does not bother me at all. These older laminate yammys still sound awesome and can be found for great deals. Just last month i also scored a yamaha fg-170 for cheap also.

I think some people that wanted to learn started off with yamahas because of the price. When they found out playing guitar wasn't for them, the guitar would probably sit untouched for years and then listed on craigslist for very little money!

Again thanks for your input buck!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion