The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 11-18-2014, 09:17 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Default About the dullest package track ever

I've got a Gretsch case coming from Amazon in Dupont, Washington. That's a one-week trip via Amazon free UPS Ground (Sorry, text updates unavailable). There's a profound irony in this trip that I'll post about later. But this is clearly the dullest tracking job I've ever done. Normally you can watch the thing checking through regional centers, etc. I get a kick out it, enjoying the ride, popping onto the UPS app every few hours and driving the system mad with info requests. But here's this one:

11/14 at 12:03am, "order processed by shipper: ready for UPS"
11/14 at 8:53pm, "origin scan, Dupont WA" (picked up)
11/15 at 4:47am, "departure scan, Portland, OR" (packed into a cross-country semi-trailer at OR distribution center)

Crickets.

That probably means it is winding its way to the East Coast in a sealed UPS express trailer, enjoying rest stops at Hess, Marathon, Flying J, or Pilot truck stops and possibly overnighting at other UPS distribution centers, with the entire trailer being handed off to fresh drivers and/or tractors without scans. They probably started on I-84 and waved at Boise before taking a left onto I-80 near Salt Lake City. I'd say the truck is probably near Chicago about now.

Oh, about seventeen hours before expected delivery time it will probably show up in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania or Columbus, Ohio or Baltimore, Maryland, and begin the march down the list of region and local centers to my home. But until then, I am mightily bored.

Tick, tick, tick.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 11-18-2014, 10:14 AM

If it isn't delayed, anyway. We had a nasty snowstorm late last week that caused no end of problems on I-84 and I-15 in south Idaho/north Utah. Hope it gets there soon.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 11-18-2014, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Oh, about seventeen hours before expected delivery time it will probably show up in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania or Columbus, Ohio or Baltimore, Maryland, and begin the march down the list of region and local centers to my home. But until then, I am mightily bored.

Tick, tick, tick.

Bob
the waiting is the hardest part.
Old 11-18-2014, 03:01 PM

With these frigid temps, be thankful it’s a Gretsch case and not a guitar!

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.
Old 11-18-2014, 03:12 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Yeah, I was up there once for the last week of December when the wind chill took it to -40. We had to walk everywhere. I had mountaineering boots with thermal socks, long johns, and a (genuine) Air Force survival parka but there was just no getting warm for me

Bob

Old 11-18-2014, 03:29 PM

I'm a truck driver and work for line haul company that is similar in operation to UPS. Those drivers likely spend very little if any time at truckstops. The average MO is haul trailer(s) from point A to point B approxamately 300 miles away in a BIG hurry. Then drop trailer and hook to another to go back to point A. There may be points, such as truckstops along the way where trailers are swapped with other drivers to continue in a particular direction. And stops at various larger city hubs along the way where trailers are unloaded/processed for varying destinations and reloaded w/freight going same way.
You rarely if ever see a FEDEX or UPS truck overniting in a truckstop. Those guys are humping it.
Old 11-18-2014, 06:12 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Thanks, F-S. I was actually just kind of daydreaming, remembering a cross-country bus trip I took by hopping between the Union76 Travel Center truck stops and trying to figure out what path a UPS truck might take between Portland and their center in the Mid-Atlantic.

I've dodged the UPS trucks while they were literally hauling the mail so I know they don't waste time. I once actually asked one how he did his runs and it squared well with what you said. I asked because I noticed that their tractors in this area don't have sleeper cabs.

Bob

Old 11-19-2014, 07:06 AM

Try ordering something from China! I recently bought a camera lens off Ebay from someone in China. There were 3 boxes on the tracking info..."shipped", "in transit", and "delivered". Plus, the scheduled delivery date was within a two week period. It sat on the "in transit" box FOREVER. I kept hearing, "Slow Boat to China" in my head over and over and over... lol
Yamaha FG730S
1950 Epiphone Triumph
Old 11-19-2014, 11:30 PM

I regularly order from 2 companies in Washington, both ship UPS. I commonly get my package in 50-60 hours from the time of origin facility scanning. That's flyin' low.

2005 Gibson J-45
1985 Guild D17
2012 Fender Am. Std. Stratocaster
1997 Guild Bluesbird
Old 11-20-2014, 02:40 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Okay, it shows an arrival scan at Laurel, MD at 3:18pm today, so it made it all the way across the country through the snow in six days. Now for the regional hand-off.

Bob

Old 11-20-2014, 03:12 PM
Charter Member

This is like trying to watch the pot boil, Bob...

I was just out visiting my daughter and her family in western New York, in the Fingerlakes Region, and I ordered her a stereo player that receives Bluetooth signals so that they could listen to music in the room (with real speakers) from files on their tablets, smart phones, etc. I luckily got out of there just before all the snow hit the region, but since I have been back in Washington state, I've noticed that her stereo has gotten stuck in Buffalo. With more snow falling there, it may be a while before they get that stereo system.

But just like Bob, I keep watching to see what might happen...

- Glenn
Old 11-20-2014, 04:18 PM

It pays to watch the national weather forecasts when ordering things. Look at the weather between point of shipping and point of receiving and decide if it's worth it to you to pay more for shipping for it go by air. If you have the option.
Old 11-20-2014, 04:19 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Don't ask me why but I enjoy watching this particular kind of pot boil. There's just something reassuring about watching the miles march by. Maybe I'm just into logistics, or fascinated with the genius of private enterprise. By the way, my wife lived a few years in the Fingerlakes region (Cortland).

Bob

Old 11-20-2014, 04:40 PM

I placed an order from a retailer in Vancouver Saturday - they shipped late Monday and I had the parcel when I got in from work Tuesday. I was impressed as the last time I ordered from them it took over a week and the tracking was mind boggling. Vancouver to Toronto to Montreal (a little too far east the to the wrong province), then it vanished from tracking for a few days, back to Toronto and then finally a few days after that (4 hour drive normally) it was finally delivered to me.

Ensor ES (Sycamore/Lutz)
Halcyon (Flamed walnut/Engelmann)
Taylor 324ce
Taylor Baritone 6
Warwick Streamer
Eastman MD505

"I only drink coffee on days ending in 'y' "
Old 11-20-2014, 05:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Don't ask me why but I enjoy watching this particular kind of pot boil. There's just something reassuring about watching the miles march by. Maybe I'm just into logistics, or fascinated with the genius of private enterprise. By the way, my wife lived a few years in the Fingerlakes region (Cortland).

Bob
Ah yes -- I drove through Cortland a couple of times as I went back and forth from Ithaca to Syracuse and back down the next day. Nice little town...

- Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic