The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 11-18-2014, 09:05 AM
Musical minimalist

Default Workin' on a building.....

Not many things amaze me anymore, but I must say this is pretty crazy - and the music's not bad either

http://petapixel.com/2014/09/05/mesm...wer-team-work/

Old 11-18-2014, 10:54 AM

That's really neat!

My experience with Amish construction here in KY was not good.
We hired an Amish framing crew when we got swamped several years ago and couldn't keep our schedules without outside help.

These carpenters were experienced in home building and they were extremely fast. The problem was when we started to install the finishes to the framing, some walls were not plumb, others were not square, (a wall in a 4'x5, shower was out of square by over 2"). Our crew had to come in to straighten out the mess.

Our foreman said "They are great barn builders because nobody cares if their barn isn't square."

I'm sure this isn't true for all of the Amish, but I did try again with a different crew and got similar results.
Old 11-18-2014, 11:06 AM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by architype View Post
That's really neat!

My experience with Amish construction here in KY was not good.
We hired an Amish framing crew when we got swamped several years ago and couldn't keep our schedules without outside help.

These carpenters were experienced in home building and they were extremely fast. The problem was when we started to install the finishes to the framing, some walls were not plumb, others were not square, (a wall in a 4'x5, shower was out of square by over 2"). Our crew had to come in to straighten out the mess.

Our foreman said "They are great barn builders because nobody cares if their barn isn't square."

I'm sure this isn't true for all of the Amish, but I did try again with a different crew and got similar results.
Yes, I'd guess it may not be perfect at that speed....

Old 11-19-2014, 04:45 PM
Guest 2563

There are many Amish in the surrounding area where I live and just like everyone else there are those who are exceptional craftsmen and others who are fly by nighters that shouldn't own a hammer.
They are fearless however when climbing which eliminates the expense of renting aerial lifts,which seems to garner them more work.
Ron

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic