The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 11-16-2014, 09:28 PM

Sheesh -- the thread title tells me nothing about the actual topic and neither does the first post.... Movin' on!

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 11-16-2014, 09:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slewis View Post
Sheesh -- the thread title tells me nothing about the actual topic and neither does the first post.... Movin' on!
Certainly a level of wisdom to take note of

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 11-16-2014, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Shelton View Post
Even with labelling, you can get poisoned. Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (industrial degreaser, shark repellent, and common toothpaste additive) is one of my top whipping-boy chemicals . Shameless...
It’s in almost every shampoo. It’s a surfactant and foaming agent. But it also can strip hair dye and undo keratin hair smoothing treatments.

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.
Old 11-16-2014, 10:20 PM

I don't give a crap what Neil Young has to say about anything.
Old 11-16-2014, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Sandy View Post
It’s in almost every shampoo. It’s a surfactant and foaming agent. But it also can strip hair dye and undo keratin hair smoothing treatments.
Lovely stuff , with a delightful name... it gives me nasty cold sores !
Found it in some Glucosamine tabs from Costco (Kirkland brand) the other day !
Old 11-17-2014, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duff beer View Post
This is the same Neil Young who flies around in private jets lecturing the unwashed masses about the environment, and who said that fighting ISIS is not worth the carbon footprint.

I like some of his songs, but I will never take seriously anything this clueless old fool says.
Isn't that what some call an ad hominem attack - where you aim criticism at the person rather than what they have said?
Old 11-17-2014, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
Isn't that what some call an ad hominem attack - where you aim criticism at the person rather than what they have said?
I did not take Duff as attacking Young as a person but noting that his life style choices do not make him a good spokesperson.

Also, when you attack a company you need to remember that a lot of common men and women work there and need a job.

Just to be balanced, I never personally liked boycotting a business because they were politically involved or allowed/paid for some controversial health benefits. Say what you think, but don't try to harm people in the process, IMHO.

Sorry to those that found the title and post too minimal. I will try to improve next time.
Old 11-17-2014, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twelvefret View Post
I did not take Duff as attacking Young as a person but noting that his life style choices do not make him a good spokesperson.
Does a person have to live a pristine lifestyle before they can offer a valid opinion on a topic?
Old 11-17-2014, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
Does a person have to live a pristine lifestyle before they can offer a valid opinion on a topic?
It is the way you choose to express your opinion that will not cause others to have to consider your life style. Using a "war protest" method does not fit all or most causes.
Old 11-17-2014, 07:11 AM
Charter Member

Pretty much everything you eat or drink is genetically modified.

There are many different kinds of potatoes, beans, carrots tomatoes etc. This is because they have been selectively hybridised to give us what we want.

Cows, sheep, pigs are all some way away from their original species because we have selectively bred them.
Ever seen the difference between a wild *** and a race horse?

Wheat, barley, rice - same thing.

My cat is a Burmese pedigree - the product of considerable selective breeding in order to produce a creature that we find attractive.

Now we can GM in laboratories at DNA level. So what ?

BTW - I boycott ALL American franchise Junk food chains operating in the UK. They have put so many small cafes and restaurants out of business and should be run out of the country (after paying our NHS for the damage done to the idiots who consume their muck).

P.S. I don't have shares in Monsanto.
Old 11-17-2014, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
BTW - I boycott ALL American franchise Junk food chains operating in the UK. They have put so many small cafes and restaurants out of business and should be run out of the country (after paying our NHS for the damage done to the idiots who consume their muck).

We live too fast. There is nothing better than sharing a meal /pint with a friend/mate. There is something uncivilized produced with a "drive through".

I would say that I boycott fast food stores, I just don't go. This allows me to continue living my less than pristine lifestyle....
Old 11-17-2014, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Pretty much everything you eat or drink is genetically modified.

There are many different kinds of potatoes, beans, carrots tomatoes etc. This is because they have been selectively hybridised to give us what we want.

Cows, sheep, pigs are all some way away from their original species because we have selectively bred them.
Ever seen the difference between a wild *** and a race horse?

Wheat, barley, rice - same thing.

My cat is a Burmese pedigree - the product of considerable selective breeding in order to produce a creature that we find attractive.

Now we can GM in laboratories at DNA level. So what ?

hybrids/selective breeding and GMOs are not the same thing.
Old 11-17-2014, 08:29 AM

What troubles me about how our food is manufactured is the influence of profit.

It's been proven about the tobacco industry how they intentionally "hooked" their customers. It would be no surprise to learn that food manufacturers add ingredients, or portions, to get people hooked on their product. It doesn't have to be toxic, just enough of a certain additive or ingredient that makes you want more.

Go on all you want about personal choices and accountability, but if you buy anything off the shelf, who is to say that the recipe is not designed, in some way, to increase the likelihood that you'll buy it again. Yes, I know, we buy things because we like them for whatever reason. But without accurate labeling, how do we know something is made the way it is so as to honestly satisfy us or to covertly influence us to buy it again?

If the food manufacturers aren't being dishonest, then why not tell us about everything that goes in to their products? If they're innocent then they don't have anything to hide. That argument gets used against the average citizen all the time, especially post-9/11.

Of course, the manufacturers will complain about the cost and certain political groups will complain about over-regulation. But if they don't have anything to hide, then why not voluntarily tell us what's in their products? Then we wouldn't need regulation.

And this manure about not listening to the message because of the messenger is really immature. If you did drugs as a kid, are you not qualified to tell your own kids not to do drugs?

YouTube (GuiTuber)
SoundCloud

My modest collection:
Hohner HGK-512 (no strings; lifted bridge)
Yamaha FG720S-12, w/ p'ups
Alvarez AJ60S, w/ p'ups
Ibanez AEB5 acoustic bass

Pickups: JBB-Electronics Prestige 330 (SBT) - finest quality at half the price

Recording gear:
Focusrite Saffire 6
MXL 990 and 991 condensor mics
Old 11-17-2014, 08:51 AM

Neil's never taken the effort to become a US citizen and yet he wants to be a key activist here in the states. Long time fan with a shrinking pataince.
Old 11-17-2014, 08:55 AM

I love me some Neil Young, but Starbucks says it isn't true.

Until (and unless) the facts are much more clear, I will not be boycotting Starbucks.

Greg Rappleye

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic