The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 11-16-2014, 03:24 PM

We have a fireplace with a wood burning stove insert made by Craft. It was in the fireplace when we bought the home in 93, one year old. We've used it every winter and it has been a great source of heat in that part of the house. My wife loves it which means I have to gather firewood during the year. No problem as I enjoy being outdoors working.

Over the years, our electric has went out, sometimes for many days at a time. Without the insert in the fireplace we would have been very cold. We'd shut off the back part of the home and basically campout in the front of the house.

We now have a whole house propane generator hooked up. About two weeks ago, the electric went off for several hours. The generator automatically kicked on and we had all the essentials normally possessed. I walked outside that night and looked around at the neighborhood and almost felt guilty we had power. I then went inside and to bed. Hopefully we do not need to rely on the propane generator this winter for any extended periods of time as propane is not cheap in these parts.
Old 11-16-2014, 10:44 PM

I have the typical builders grade open face fireplace that is pretty much useless for trying to heat the whole house. During last years cold I was a little worried about what I would do with my instruments if the power went out.

I looked in to getting a good insert but the way my chimney is built "prefab", I would have to get about 30 feet of class A pipe which is not cheap. Even with the pipe, alot of "experts" still do not recommend hot fires in that type of chimney. Pretty bummed as I was getting excited about the whole thing. Nothing like a fire on a cold night making the house nice and toasty.

My Grandfather has a Hitzer insert with a blower and it heats the whole house upstairs (about 1800 sq. ft.). Downstairs he has a Warm Morning coal/wood burning stove. With both of these going in the dead of winter the house stays at about 72-75 degrees.

Here is his Hitzer insert doing it's thing.

Old 11-17-2014, 07:26 AM

Wood stove here, fireplace is useless. Did I read that right in post above on a "spare the air" day in Calif. the neighbors will turn you in if you start a fireplace? Sure its not 1939 in some other country?
Old 11-17-2014, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHS View Post
Wood stove here, fireplace is useless. Did I read that right in post above on a "spare the air" day in Calif. the neighbors will turn you in if you start a fireplace? Sure its not 1939 in some other country?
Nope it's not 1939. It's 2014 in the US, and there are just far too many people here.
Eastman John Pisano
Gibson Johnny A
Franklin Prairie State
Collings D1A
Old 11-17-2014, 10:12 AM

Have a propane "zero clearance" fireplace that we use quite a bit. During our power outage last week it was the only heat we had and did an adequate job of keeping the chill off.

In our prior home of 25 years we had a wood stove with glass doors that could heat the entire house.

Old 11-17-2014, 12:39 PM
Charter Member

Not sure if this counts, but I heat my cabin with a wood stove although I have electric baseboard as a back-up. Just bought two cords of wood which should take me through next winter...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 11-17-2014, 12:44 PM
Charter Member

I go through 3-4 face cords each year. My main furnace is a gas forced air furnace from when we built the house, the fireplace was added when I put a big addition on.

I just got off the phone with my parts supplier and some of my maintenance parts are on back order, so I am out of commission for several more weeks and we have a 1-2ft snowstorm threat tonight.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 11-17-2014, 05:53 PM
AGF Sponsor

We have a wood burner but it can burn coal, too. Never had a fire place. I love the smell and feel of wood heat.

AGF MCKNIGHT GUITAR SNIPPETS https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=663228

I'll continue "Doin' Life ... As a Luthier's Wife"
McJam = Guitar private event June 21-22, 2024
[email protected]
Pre-sign is required and begins now.
Old 11-17-2014, 07:46 PM

Our house is not too old but I consider the fireplace to be modern because it has a steel or iron surround and fan that moves heat out from it. The house is an interesting mix of some modern design but traditional materials. Heat comes out in the gap between stones above the guitar headstock.

Old 11-18-2014, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefooter View Post
We have a fireplace with a wood burning stove insert made by Craft. It was in the fireplace when we bought the home in 93, one year old. We've used it every winter and it has been a great source of heat in that part of the house. My wife loves it which means I have to gather firewood during the year. No problem as I enjoy being outdoors working.

Over the years, our electric has went out, sometimes for many days at a time. Without the insert in the fireplace we would have been very cold. We'd shut off the back part of the home and basically campout in the front of the house.

We now have a whole house propane generator hooked up. About two weeks ago, the electric went off for several hours. The generator automatically kicked on and we had all the essentials normally possessed. I walked outside that night and looked around at the neighborhood and almost felt guilty we had power. I then went inside and to bed. Hopefully we do not need to rely on the propane generator this winter for any extended periods of time as propane is not cheap in these parts.
Sounds like a great back-up plan for those power outages, Tom. I'm fairly certain my propane fireplace would work with now power; however, the fan wouldn't work so it would be slow to distribute the heat.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:07 AM

Default Anyone have a fireplace?

My main source of heat in my house is the centrally located wood stove. There is also a wood burning fireplace in the dining room, though it rarely gets used. I cut, chop and stack 25 face cord of wood every year and burn most of it through the winter. Much like Glenn, it keeps me in shape.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary View Post
We have a wood burner but it can burn coal, too. Never had a fire place. I love the smell and feel of wood heat.
Hi Mary. I'm with you, there's something special about the smell of wood heat.
Old 11-20-2014, 03:05 PM

Temps last night here in my area dropped into the mid-30's so we cranked up the fireplace. I think this may be the earliest we've ever had a fire in the hearth here. Usually it's mid-December thru January when we use it.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 11-20-2014, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post

What about you?
Ya we've got one, but we don't use it that much... holidays and special occasions. Thinking about doing an insert but haven't yet.

Taylor 710 sunburst
Epiphone ef-500m

...a few electrics
Old 11-20-2014, 05:07 PM

Got one that gets lots of use. Dogs and wife love it.

Drys the house out and makes me nervous with instruments around. I take most to basement during fireplace season.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic