The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 11-19-2014, 03:31 PM

Default Record $325M MLB contract - Stanton

The Miami Marlins just signed Giancarlo Stanton to a 13 year, $325M contract. It's the largest contact ever for an American athlete and the longest in MLB history.

I don't know what the Marlins are thinking. Are they worried that they were going to lose Stanton to another team that was going to offer him more? Do they think he'll perform at such a high level during those last few years? They must be confident he'll recover 100% from getting hit in the face with a pitch in Sept.

Anyway, it's the Marlin's money and how they spend it is their prerogative. It's good for conversation though.

http://www.tsn.ca/marlins-stanton-si...ength-1.139096
Old 11-19-2014, 03:45 PM

It's the Marlin's money, yes, but money they will have to get from their fans in one form or another. I will not likely be contributing to this superb professional athlete's salary, though I don't mind if others choose to. Such contracts are one reason I prefer baseball and other sports at an amateur level.

cotten
Old 11-19-2014, 04:15 PM

First of all, let's hope that Giancarlo Stanton keeps his head on his shoulders better than Alex Rodriguez did.
Secondly, the trouble with giving these long-term mega contracts to players is twofold: one is that the player in question becomes virtually untradeable for the length of the contract because he's owed all that money. The second is paying somebody all that money reduces the amount of money you are able to spend on the other players you need to build and improve the team. Will the Marlins advance beyond Stanton and assorted warm bodies? We'll have to see about that.
Old 11-19-2014, 04:16 PM

This is why I personally won't spend my money to go to a professional game. I'd rather spend it on guitars
Old 11-19-2014, 04:24 PM
Guest 2563

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by strings4him View Post
This is why I personally won't spend my money to go to a professional game. I'd rather spend it on guitars
Agree 1000% with this
Old 11-19-2014, 04:36 PM

Come on guys, it's only $25mm per year...which is $154K per game and around $40K per at bat!

As a small market team, I don't see how they can compete having handcuffed themselves with such a ridiculous contract. Give it a couple years and he'll be with the Yankees....just like A-Rod when he left the Rangers.
Old 11-19-2014, 04:50 PM

He also has a no-trade clause and he can opt out after 6 years.

Do the Marlins know something about how Stanton has recovered from that beaning? Otherwise, it's a huge risk.

YouTube (GuiTuber)
SoundCloud

My modest collection:
Hohner HGK-512 (no strings; lifted bridge)
Yamaha FG720S-12, w/ p'ups
Alvarez AJ60S, w/ p'ups
Ibanez AEB5 acoustic bass

Pickups: JBB-Electronics Prestige 330 (SBT) - finest quality at half the price

Recording gear:
Focusrite Saffire 6
MXL 990 and 991 condensor mics
Old 11-19-2014, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabdart View Post
First of all, let's hope that Giancarlo Stanton keeps his head on his shoulders better than Alex Rodriguez did.
Secondly, the trouble with giving these long-term mega contracts to players is twofold: one is that the player in question becomes virtually untradeable for the length of the contract because he's owed all that money. The second is paying somebody all that money reduces the amount of money you are able to spend on the other players you need to build and improve the team. Will the Marlins advance beyond Stanton and assorted warm bodies? We'll have to see about that.
Excellent points Zabdart. Factor in that the Marlin's 2014 team payroll was only $47.5M (2nd last in the league). That makes Stanton worth more than half the entire team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Gilmour View Post
Come on guys, it's only $25mm per year...which is $154K per game and around $40K per at bat!

As a small market team, I don't see how they can compete having handcuffed themselves with such a ridiculous contract. Give it a couple years and he'll be with the Yankees....just like A-Rod when he left the Rangers.
Well, when you put it that way $40K per bat isn't that much . Holy smokes, that's a lot.
Old 11-19-2014, 06:59 PM

When the hostages from the U.S. Embassy in Iran were released in 1981, Major League Baseball presented them with lifetime passes to big-league games.

Sports commentator Beano Cook responded: “Haven’t they suffered enough?”

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 11-19-2014, 07:16 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotten View Post
Such contracts are one reason I prefer baseball and other sports at an amateur level.

cotten
I can't think of one good reason I'd go to any pro sports events anymore - the TV coverage is so good, ticket prices are out of sight and I HATE big crowds filled with screaming drunks.

Michigan has lost out PGA and LPGA event (actually this year we got the LPGA back) so I doubt I'll be changing my mind at any time soon.

Old 11-19-2014, 07:59 PM

Hmmm, I go to sports forums and I hear a lot of this itching and oaning about contracts.

I don't get it. The Stanton contract is like all business contracts....both sides see it to their advantage.

Given Miami's market the contract would seem like a no brainer. But there is also something happening that is a huge factor in all of this: Major League baseball is poised on the brink of the next great wave of talented Latin players. Folks, we are talking serious talent here.....HOF caliber.

Gee, don't know about you guys with "business sense", I am just a casual observer, but I'd rather be on the crest of that wave rather than the trough. It's just like storm surge; it'll go a long way in Miami.

If you are a good business man, I would think you could squeeze more than $40,000 a bat in profits and then some without any problem.
Garcia #2 classical
Cordoba C10 Luthier Series
Tacoma Olympia OB3CE acoustic bass

"I don't care what style you want to play. If you want to master good guitar tone, master preparation, attack and release first." ~ Paul Guma
Old 11-19-2014, 11:25 PM

It is a ton of money, no doubt. But one thing I always think about with baseball contracts is that in the very early 1990s, the Atlanta Braves paid 3 of their starting pitchers (Smoltz, Glavine, Maddux) more than the entire payroll for the Kansas City Royals. I wonder how long it will be before a MLB player has a 1/2 billion dollar contract.

If you really want to see some stratospheric contracts, check out F1 auto racing. Ferrari pays there two drivers a combined $82M a year, Raikkonen makes $51M and Schumaker makes $31M. All of that is base. F1 drivers get large bonuses for wins.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy View Post
When the hostages from the U.S. Embassy in Iran were released in 1981, Major League Baseball presented them with lifetime passes to big-league games.

Sports commentator Beano Cook responded: “Haven’t they suffered enough?”
I didn't know that. I hope some of them did make it to games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
I can't think of one good reason I'd go to any pro sports events anymore - the TV coverage is so good, ticket prices are out of sight and I HATE big crowds filled with screaming drunks.

Michigan has lost out PGA and LPGA event (actually this year we got the LPGA back) so I doubt I'll be changing my mind at any time soon.
You're right, Todd. Sometimes the best seats to the games are at home in front in a cozy environment and large screen HD. Still, sometimes it's great to feel the crowd atmosphere but that only works if the games are sold out. Going to any sporting event with only 1/2 capacity doesn't have the same feeling.
Old 11-20-2014, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Gilmour View Post

I doubt if the Yankees are going to repeat the mistake they made with A-Rod with another player, no matter how good he is. I think a 5-year contract is about as long as Brian Cashman is willing to commit the Yankees.
And I don't blame him.
Old 11-20-2014, 03:46 PM

Well, I wish the Marlins good luck with that, but I always think it's a mistake trying to build a winning team around one highly payed player. For me the best example of that was Barry Bonds.

True, he was exciting to watch as a hitter (which I understand is true of Stanton as well), but he was an ego in the club house, imho rather lackadasical in the outfield, and his salary made it hard for the Giants to get other quality players who could hit. There was a reason why Bonds got walked as much as he did. All you had to do for the most part was pitch around him.

Some of the best baseball I've seen in a long time from the Giants has been sans Barry Bonds. There are no superstars on the club (with the possible exceptions of Bumbgardner, Sandoval and Posey), just a lot of very solid team players who go all out to win.

Then there's the matter of fans. Ever see a Marlins game? The stands are pretty much empty. I don't see that changing in the forseeable future unless the Marlins can start winning games, and that means building a solid team.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic