The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-13-2007, 08:19 AM

Default Low Tension Strings?

Can anyone recommend a low tension string brand? I've never found the "right" string for my Seagull S6. It likes light guage strings, but they don't sound good - too tinny. I just slapped on a Custom Light Phos Bronze Daddario set (11-52) and they sound perfect - nice and full, but feel stiff as hell and make the guitar almost unplayable in the upper registers. I've got the neck adjusted almost straight and they still are too high. It's just too much tension for this Cedar topped guitar for the way I play!

Can anyone recommend a Custom Light set similar to Daddarios but with signifigantly less tension?

Thanks!

Rick
Old 07-13-2007, 09:00 AM

How is the action at the nut and the saddle? Neck can be straight and the action can still be too high (neck relief really isn't for adjusting the action).

I use D'Addario EJ16 Phosphor Bronze Lights (12-16-24-32-42-53) on my S6, and they feel fine. Easy on the fingers, easy to bend, easy to barre, etc, and they sound wonderful. However, I did have my S6's action lowered (took it in for a setup after I bought it). Most Seagulls I've played come with an action that's fairly high.
Old 07-13-2007, 10:25 AM

You haven't experienced exceptional guitar strings until you have tried Newtone strings. Newtone strings provide long life and exceptional tone because they are constructed using a round core wire instead of a hex core wire that is used by most manufacturers. Newtone strings are hand crafted and every string is visually checked for quality. Also, I have discovered they seem to have less tension.

2023 Taylor AD22e
2001 Guild F47RCE

Certified Fretting Technician - Galloup School of Luthiery 2005
Guitar Builder/Tech
Old 07-13-2007, 10:50 AM

second that for the Newtone Heritage
CA GX player sunburst (08)
Taylor 414CE Spring Ltd (09)
Old 07-13-2007, 10:51 AM

The round core strings (Newtones, DR Sunbeams) I have tried do feel less tense. Newtones makes a new line of strings called Heritage, which are even lower tension. I have not had a chance to try these yet.
Old 07-13-2007, 10:53 AM

got them on my Avalon-sweet!!!!!!
CA GX player sunburst (08)
Taylor 414CE Spring Ltd (09)
Old 07-13-2007, 09:44 PM

Okay - Newtones sounds like my new best friend! Do stores carry them or are they found online?

Funny someone mentioned DR Sunbeams - I had this exact problem with my Warwick Rockbass (string tension too high) and the DR Sunbeams turned out to be the "perfect" string for that Bass!

Thanks!!!

Rick
Old 07-13-2007, 10:29 PM

Newtones can be purchased thru http://www.strinsandbeyond.com. Great service and free shipping over $35.
Old 07-13-2007, 10:52 PM

Like Cosine already mentioned your problem might not be string related at all but to your set up. Your neck should be almost straight. Once you have it straight your guitar's action should be adjusted on the nut and/or saddle. No string will make up for a lousy set up.
My recomendation is to bring it to a good guitar tech and have him deal with it.
Christian
Old 07-17-2007, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birkenweg42 View Post
Like Cosine already mentioned your problem might not be string related at all but to your set up. Your neck should be almost straight. Once you have it straight your guitar's action should be adjusted on the nut and/or saddle. No string will make up for a lousy set up.
My recomendation is to bring it to a good guitar tech and have him deal with it.
I checked my "Dan Erlewine Repair Guide" and figured out what happened. It's been a very, very humid summer in NY so the guitar top has softened up thus making the action higher. When I brought this home from the shop, it had a fantastic low action setup (that's one of the reasons why it came home with me). He suggests have another "lower" bridge made for the summer months, but I think that's overkill. I ordered a few sets of Newtone Heritage to see if that will help, but It should only be like this for a little more than a month or so. I have the truss rod adjusted so the neck is straight as an arrow and it's playable - just not exactly how I like it - still a touch flubby. I'm only using 11's so I guess that's the downside with these soft cedar tops. I have a feeling the newtones will work out nicely on these guitars...
Old 07-17-2007, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsmyth9 View Post
Newtones can be purchased thru http://www.strinsandbeyond.com. Great service and free shipping over $35.
Just in case you actually want to get there, that should be www.stringsandbeyond.com

That which is good or great makes itself known, no matter how loud the clamor of denial. -- Theodore F. MacManus

I've got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell -- Christopher Walken
Old 07-17-2007, 01:23 PM

Rohrbacher make lower-tension titanium core strings. They sound lovely, last ages. Silk & Steel is another option.

If it's too high, shave the saddle. The neck should be adjusted to change relief, not neccesarily action. Saying that, I used to get annoyed at how the action slowly got higher on my acoustic, unlike my electric where it's as good as even. I got better, now it's far less of an issue.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:32 PM

Martin Fingerstyle strings are made with lighter core wire and offer a very low tension feel.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:50 PM

I will try DR Rare on my HD-28 tonight if I get time today.

I am sold on the DR round cores for my Telecaster, and quite like the feel and sustain of the Med/Lite Sunbeams on my cutaway. The Sunbeams are as advertised on that guitar where they are not particularly bright, but no way dead.

One step heavier on the Tele felt the same as Fender and webstrings.com strings and the Tite-Fits gave it perfect classic Tele tone.

DR actual sizing for the named size differs, so I'm trying Med. Rares to replace .012 - .053 D'Addario lights on the HD-28.

DR Med/Lite Sunbeams (11-50) did not change the action as far as visual or feel on my Larrive OMV, but are easier to bend than the "Light" EJ16 and webstrings they replaced.

I'll report what Low Tension in the DR ad copy means.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion