The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-07-2006, 07:23 AM

Default Dtar Wavelength MP3's Added.

I installed my DTAR Wavelength in my Lakewood M32, installation was straight forward the only downside was drilling the 3/32 hole in the saddle slot, not good for the nerves! String balance is excellent and the pickup produces quite a lush sound.
Here's a very simple example recorded flat with no eq and a touch of compression and reverb The internal Wavelength eq presets were set to give a reasonable balence with eq set flat on the board.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/vikki.2...gth%20test.mp3

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/vikki.2...TAR%20Test.mp3

Vikki(uk)

Last edited by Vikki; 10-09-2006 at 01:05 PM.
Old 10-07-2006, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikki
I installed my DTAR Wavelength in my Lakewood M32, installation was straight forward the only downside was drilling the 3/32 hole in the saddle slot, not good for the nerves! String balance is excellent and the pickup produces quite a lush sound.
Here's a very simple example recorded flat with no eq and a touch of compression and reverb The internal Wavelength eq presets were set to give a reasonable balence with eq set flat on the signal.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/vikki.2...TAR%20Test.mp3

I'll post some more intricate songs later (gigging tonight)
Vikki(uk)
Perhaps including some heavy handed flatpicking and strumming to demonstrate the higher headroom with 18 volts?

"Let's lute the city", said the minstrels.

Oftentimes the only result I get from a thought experiment is a messed up lab.
Old 10-07-2006, 07:45 AM

OK will do, it will be tomorrow now, its mid afternoon here in the uk and the gig bus is waiting outside, well actually its an LDV Convoy
Vikki(uk)
Old 10-07-2006, 09:54 AM

Very nice sound sample, Vikki. Sounds like the intro to "When You Say Nothing At All".

Looking forward to hearing more.

Gary
Old 10-07-2006, 10:07 AM

A Strummer,

When I made head-to-head recorded comparisons of a 90s era Highlander pickup system in my D28 vs the same pickup with the D-TAR high-headroom preamp, I noticed that the higher headroom actually improved the dynamic responsiveness of the fingerpicking samples as well as strumming samples. I could not only hear the difference, I could also see the greater level fluctuation on my DAT recorder's level meter.

Of course, if you don't want as much dynamic responsiveness (for recording purposes or whatever), you can use some compression as Vikki did with this sound sample.

Gary
Old 10-09-2006, 12:40 PM

I've been experimenting with the Wavelength and i have to say i'm pretty pleased with the results, here's a few bits and bobs i recorded ....

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/vikki.2...gth%20test.mp3

I'm no expert at recording, but it gives an idea how the Wavelength sounds
Vikki)uk)
Old 10-09-2006, 02:29 PM

Hi Vikki,

The "bits" were good, but I especially liked the "bobs". It sounds like you're a master of the (intentionally) dampened alternating bass. You might want to try gigging with a Ren when you've had enough of fooling around with more feedback-prone guitars.

Of course, it would also be possible to put a feedback buster in the Lakewood, now that the soundhole pickup has been replaced by a Wavelength system.

Gary
Old 10-09-2006, 05:02 PM

Thanks Gary
I'll have to buy a new feedback buster as i cut the old one in two pieces to go around the Sunrise.
I'd love one of the Renaissance guitars, i'd buy one of each nylon and steel if i lived in the U.S. Sadly over here we are taxed heavily, and most musical items cost around twice as much by the time an importer and second dealer is paid. I may push the boat out next year and buy one!
Regards
Vikki(uk)
PS would the Mama Bear give a good improvement in sound?
Old 10-09-2006, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikki View Post
Thanks Gary
I'll have to buy a new feedback buster as i cut the old one in two pieces to go around the Sunrise.
D
Wow, you needed a feedback buster with a Sunrise? You must be playing at some pretty decent volumes, eh?

Takamine EAN15C w/ Palathetic pickup system and CT4B onboard preamp
Takamine GN93CE w/ TK-40 preamp
RainSong DR1000 w/ Element Onboard pickup system
Rainsong JM3000 12 string jumbo w/ Element Onboard pickup system
Yamaha FG345 w/ Fishman Matrix II

www.donohoeandgrimes.com
Old 10-09-2006, 07:41 PM

Vikki,

I've observed that USTs which sense multi-directionally, like the Wavelength, tend to have a woodier sound and need Mama Bear's "wood and air" effect less than a string-oriented pickup like the Baggs Hex on my classical. Its possible to get a very respectable amplified tone (presuming a good guitar and PA system) with just the Wavelength and some decent EQ. While Mama Bear definitely improves on the Wavelength tone, I think it would be more noticeable with a solo act than with a player who's cranked up to cut thru the band mix.

A cool feature of high-headroom UST systems like the Wavelength is that they simply respond better to a strong attack. I think its that extra responsiveness, in addition to the woody tone, which is pleasing (perhaps subconciously) new users who've been accustomed to more conventional UST systems.

Gary
Old 10-10-2006, 01:53 AM

I think i'll aim for a Renaissance in the future, the Wavelength is yet to be taken out live and we will see how it goes. I find when working with tracks the Wavelength cuts through very well.
Rainsong, i had the feedback buster in really to try and calm the k.k's which i used to blend with the mag, but in the enviroments where i play with a band the k.k's were useless, i can see the k.k's being great in a small coffee house setting, i think the small head ones would be better than the large head ones in my guitar. I'm watching ebay with the hope of finding a Mama Bear at reasonable money, they are around 6xx us new over here.
Vikki(uk)

Last edited by Vikki; 10-10-2006 at 11:07 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification