The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 10-03-2014, 10:19 AM

Default Help with version of "Hallelujah"

I am trying to learn this version(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdyTXBT5CQE) of hallelujah. It is the one performed by the four Norwegian guys. I am having a bit of a problem getting the guitar picking pattern down. I am still working on it by trying to just use my ears but if anyone would like to chime in and offer some assistance that would be great. I know that for the more experienced players on the forum this is probably a piece of cake but unfortunately I am not quite there yet.

Thank you,
Mike
Old 10-03-2014, 10:34 AM

I've been working on a version of this song as well. It sounds to me like it's an embellished version of what I'm playing. I can't explain their embellishments to you but I can't wait to hear what others have to say.
Old 10-03-2014, 10:58 AM

Hi RedJoker,

I have a finger style version myself that sounds ok but I think this is the nicest accompaniment one I have heard so far. I am really hoping one of the "pros" comes along and with some advice.
Old 10-03-2014, 11:16 AM

Sounds based on the Jeff Buckley version to me (which I have tab for somewhere, but is easily found online).

It doesn't sound too difficult, but what I'd do (if I had the time ) - is use this:
http://www.seventhstring.com/
(free for one month - is that enough? )

Start with the Jeff Buckley, and amend as and when necessary.
Old 10-03-2014, 11:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phxguy View Post
I am trying to learn this version(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdyTXBT5CQE) of hallelujah. It is the one performed by the four Norwegian guys. I am having a bit of a problem getting the guitar picking pattern down. ...
It sounds to me like a combination of things:
double stops, arpeggios, and hammer-ons.

I noticed the guitar is capoed, just in case that didn't catch your "ear's eye".

Best suggestion I have is to use one of the apps that allows you to change the tempo on a recording (Amazing Slower Downer is the one I use).

With this app, you can dial the tempo as slowly as needed, and, you can focus on just small portions at a time if some parts are more challenging than others.

It's a lovely recording, thanks for posting it!

yours in tune,
amyfb

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write