The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-16-2013, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Jack, I hope you don't pick cars like you do guitars - that the manufacturer becomes discontinued after you buy them. Seriously though, your Mossman sounds like a great guitar that reminds you of the mid-West. What is capo rash? Is it wear marks on the back of the neck?
Actually I've oFten thought that my liking a product, TV show or sports team is the 'kiss of death'. I've often wondered what would happen if I admitted liking Taylor or Martin. Just as an experiment, I'm going to announce I like Gibson, they are my favorite guitar. Now, let's see what happens.

Yeah capo rash is where the finish on the back of the neck is worn.

Seriously, on the Mossman, I think my wife would have me committed as crazy if I ever got rid of it.

Jack

1975 Mossman Great
1995 Taylor LKSM-12
2008 Taylor Fall Ltd GC
2008 Applegate C Nylon Crossover
Fender Stratocaster - Eric Johnson Model
Nyberg Cittern
2011 Eastman AC508M
2012 Epiphone ES339
Old 08-16-2013, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabdart View Post
Well, let us not forget the various brands of Larson Brothers guitars, which disappeared when the brothers died: Mauer, Euphonon and Prairie State (as well as a few Stetson and Golden State guitars). Favilla guitars, made by Herc Favilla out in Long Island were pretty good too.
Then, of course, there are the classic archtops made by John D'Angelico, his apprentice Jimmy D'Aquisto, and Elmer Stromberg. I had the fortune to play a couple of Strombergs and, believe me, they were the loudest acoustic guitars ever made. I guess that's why Freddie Green played one in the Count Basie band all those years.
+1 with everything he said! The Larson Bro guitars are some of my very favourite guitars. If I could, I'd get one of the great repro's of their guitars, eg Haans Brentrup etc.

My contribution into this thread are the Swedish company Hagstrom. I own a 1970 HIIN electric guitar, which is a really fine guitar. There are MIC reissues which are great for the price, but aren't quite as 'unique' as their predecessors.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:50 PM

Oh, I love this thread. I'll post my 3 tomorrow.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:17 PM

My Wechter Traditional was made by Wechter Guitars in Paw Paw MI, which is now out of business. Abe Wechter now builds guitars in China, where he lives. I tracked him down and found out that the Wechter Traditionals were made between about 2000 and 2008. A total of about 300 were made during that time, using various wood for tops and b/s. Fewer than 30 lefties were made, he told me. Mine is a lefty.

Some were quite plain and others more embellished. Mine is a spruce top, rosewood b/s, curly maple binding, five-piece neck, and exquisite, understated abalone inlays that are seamless.

The Traditional is a small jumbo, Abe told me. It's very close in dimensions to my Seagull S6 dread, except at the waist, where it is a couple of inches narrower, making it much more comfortable to hold/play (I sit when I play).

This guitar has incredible tone (at least to my untrained ears!) and is in mint condition. What a treasure.

Here are some fotos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/_sundqu...7635994150344/

"We are music fingered by the gods." ~ Mark Nepo
Old 11-04-2013, 11:25 PM

Default Acoustics from discontinued manufacturers?

Am I the only one annoyed by companies buying out the competition (especially when they make a great product) only to shut down the company?
Original Martin Backpacker
Little Martin
Lotus Dread (1st guitar)
Old 11-05-2013, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodstock64 View Post
Am I the only one annoyed by companies buying out the competition (especially when they make a great product) only to shut down the company?
No, you certainly are NOT. I already miss Hamer guitars, and I'm sure I'm going to miss Ovations sometime in the future.
The model of a capitalist economy is that competition is good for business, all the way around. Having one or two companies (like Fender and Gibson) gobble up all their competitors just means higher prices all the way around.
Old 11-05-2013, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodstock64 View Post
I'm sure you'd get a lot of "Hear Hears" from the Tacoma contingent.
Old 11-05-2013, 11:11 AM

I'm down to 3 guitars, all made by The Legend Guitar Company. The dread was built at the pre-Fender Tacoma plant. So that's a double-whammy right there!

I love 'em all, but will probably have to sacrifice one of them at some point to the cause of acquiring THE Gibson J-something, or Martin D-28.

MJ-501

D-112

OM-302

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion