The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 02-12-2024, 10:37 AM

Default I'd love to change the World - Ten Years after

In the intro lick I have found three variations on one note on the guitar among three guitar tutorials. Yeah, yeah I know I should just figure things out by ear on my own, but I'm still working on that.

It's in the second bar (G chord) where they differ. (See below) One tutorial even adds an extra note which I know is not correct as it's easy to count the notes out as they are all 8th notes as in 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & for each bar. So that one is out. But another uses a D open fourth string instead of a G open third string for the 7th note at the 4 count of the G chord bar.

After carefully listening several times I believe the below tab is the correct one with an open g string for the 7th note in the bar at the 4 count in the G chord bar.

Do you concur? Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Cecil6243; 02-12-2024 at 03:16 PM.
Old 02-13-2024, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil6243 View Post
In the intro lick I have found three variations on one note on the guitar among three guitar tutorials. Yeah, yeah I know I should just figure things out by ear on my own, but I'm still working on that.

It's in the second bar (G chord) where they differ. (See below) One tutorial even adds an extra note which I know is not correct as it's easy to count the notes out as they are all 8th notes as in 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & for each bar. So that one is out. But another uses a D open fourth string instead of a G open third string for the 7th note at the 4 count of the G chord bar.

After carefully listening several times I believe the below tab is the correct one with an open g string for the 7th note in the bar at the 4 count in the G chord bar.

Do you concur? Thanks in advance!

Firstly, that is terrible notation! Its clearly just simple arpeggiated chords, and there is no need to include all the tied notes in the notation.

However I'm guessing the notation is of no concern and you're reading the tab! So I checked and you're right, it's a G, although it sounds like he also hits the B at the same time - if that matters, and of course it doesn't.
Old 02-13-2024, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPR View Post
Firstly, that is terrible notation! Its clearly just simple arpeggiated chords, and there is no need to include all the tied notes in the notation.

However I'm guessing the notation is of no concern and you're reading the tab! So I checked and you're right, it's a G, although it sounds like he also hits the B at the same time - if that matters, and of course it doesn't.
Thanks Jon! Interesting about hitting the B at the same time. I'll have to check that out! And yeah I was only interested in the tab although I also read notation.
Old 02-13-2024, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil6243 View Post
Thanks Jon! Interesting about hitting the B at the same time. I'll have to check that out!
I meant that I'm guessing he was flatpicking it, not fingerpicking, and a downstroke on the G is always likely to hit the B. Who cares? (It's ringing on from the previous stroke anyway.)
It's not the D anyway - arguably that's more important if you're trying to reproduce this pattern exactly.
Old 02-13-2024, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPR View Post
I meant that I'm guessing he was flatpicking it, not fingerpicking, and a downstroke on the G is always likely to hit the B. Who cares? (It's ringing on from the previous stroke anyway.)
It's not the D anyway - arguably that's more important if you're trying to reproduce this pattern exactly.
Make sense.
Old 02-19-2024, 08:52 PM

Now, how about scoring out that soaring lead?

2000 Martin D-18GE
2019 Martin OM-28
2020 Martin OOO-18GE Custom
1997 Fender Stratocaster American Deluxe
1930’s Dobro/Regal Resophonic Guitar
Old 02-21-2024, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickcrna View Post
Now, how about scoring out that soaring lead?
Above my paygrade at this time (Don't even own an electric yet), but this man seems to go a good job? Starts showing how to play the lead piece at 9:03 complete with tabs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nM-cPemmKo0

Last edited by Cecil6243; 02-21-2024 at 06:47 PM.
Old 03-10-2024, 11:41 PM

Cecil, if you want to have some fun with this song:

1) Watch this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VI3rVqlQnY

2) Download Moises App onto your phone

3) Using Moises, import the video, and remove the guitar part (and trim the video if you want)

4) Play your new audio file (just the vocals) and play along with it with your guitar.
Rogue Resonator (kindling)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write