The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 05-26-2015, 10:48 AM

Default Adjustable Neck

Could someone point me in the direction of a resource somewhere on the net that explains how an adjustable neck is built? Preferably with diagrams and or build pictures so that I can see and understand the process?
Old 05-26-2015, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking View Post
Could someone point me in the direction of a resource somewhere on the net that explains how an adjustable neck is built? Preferably with diagrams and or build pictures so that I can see and understand the process?
If you refine your definition of "adjustable neck", you may get more meaningful responses, since there are variations of function that could all be classified as "adjustable".

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 05-26-2015, 11:25 AM

Acoustic or electric? Stauffer designed an adjustable neck back in the mid 19th century, there are quite a few versions.
Fender made some adjustable neck electrics, IIRC.
et al

Last edited by Rodger Knox; 05-26-2015 at 12:12 PM.
Old 05-26-2015, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Milburn View Post
If you refine your definition of "adjustable neck", you may get more meaningful responses, since there are variations of function that could all be classified as "adjustable".
Adjustable... wherein the construction offers features that prevent the need for full neck resets. Most commonly, that would probably mean the ability to adjust the pitch of the neck without having to steam a glue joint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Knox View Post
Acoustic or electric? Staufer designed an adjustable neck back in the mid 19th century, there are quite a few versions.
Fender made some adjustable neck electrics, IIRC.
Acoustic.
Old 05-26-2015, 01:10 PM

There is also the Howe Orme adjustable neck joint. If you can figure it out from this image

http://api.ning.com/files/n05vnQktSM...1/IMG_1587.JPG

The bracket at the bottom of the heel is attached to the body with two bolts and flexes when adjustments are made. Just under the fretboard extension are two nuts with four holes in them and these are rotated to fix the action.

The Stauffer system is simpler. One bolt, low in the heel, goes through the head block. The neck sits in a recess in the body, the top of the neck rests against the body and at the bottom of the heel is a gap. Tighten the bolt and the action lowers, loosen the bolt to raise it. Stauffer used a square headed bolt which was adjusted from outside with a clock key.

Last edited by stanron; 05-26-2015 at 01:18 PM.
Old 05-26-2015, 05:01 PM

Location: Darwin, Australia, 12.5 degrees south of the equator

Most of us that use a adjustable neck had to work them out for ourselves. Your best chance is to just search the www. There was a lengthy thread on the ANZLF that covered one or two different types so you could try searching there. I use one that I have never seen anywhere but have nothing published on it except for a few photos in my "Rose Cliche" thread that is in this section of the AGF.
If I chose car racing instead.
Jim Schofield
Old 05-26-2015, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim.S View Post
Most of us that use a adjustable neck had to work them out for ourselves. Your best chance is to just search the www. There was a lengthy thread on the ANZLF that covered one or two different types so you could try searching there. I use one that I have never seen anywhere but have nothing published on it except for a few photos in my "Rose Cliche" thread that is in this section of the AGF.
Thank you, that was a helpful post. I wondered if that might be the case. Not being a structural engineer (I'm a software engineer), and only a smattering of woodworking experience, I have no real understanding of the different kind of techniques one might use to achieve a specific design goal, so I wondered if there was a standard way of doing this. There are lots of "standard" ways of doing everything else after all.

I did try several google searches. The results usually were explaining how to adjust a truss rod. lol That's when I turned here.

ANZLF... The Australian/New Zealand Luthiers Forum? Is that what that acronym stands for?
Old 05-26-2015, 06:27 PM

Location: Darwin, Australia, 12.5 degrees south of the equator

Yep you got the acronym right Nick, it was a thread from some years ago and may have been in the "tutorial" section maybe. If you can't find it give me a yell and I will have a look. I am not sure how helpful it will be to you though.

Edit. Try searching for "tilt neck"
If I chose car racing instead.
Jim Schofield
Old 05-26-2015, 07:05 PM

Rick Turner did or does an adjustable neck. Google is your friend here.
Tom
Old 05-26-2015, 07:10 PM

Quote:
I did try several google searches. The results usually were explaining how to adjust a truss rod.
A more reasonable search would be for 'adjustable neck angle'.
Old 05-26-2015, 08:03 PM

Google, "bolt on guitar neck".
Old 05-27-2015, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim.S View Post
Yep you got the acronym right Nick, it was a thread from some years ago and may have been in the "tutorial" section maybe. If you can't find it give me a yell and I will have a look. I am not sure how helpful it will be to you though.

Edit. Try searching for "tilt neck"
Yeah, I found the thread. Complicated subject. Seems the biggest issue is doing it in such a way that doesn't change the intonation. Tricky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
A more reasonable search would be for 'adjustable neck angle'.
That's always the trick with google. Finding the right combination of words to give you the results you need. It can be frustrating when the words that seem obvious collide with the same words for a more prevalent subject. I was searching for, "adjustable guitar neck". Which of course mostly lead to how to adjust a truss rod. Necks where the angle itself is adjustable are not common, and so are not talked about much on the WWW.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair