The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 11-25-2014, 04:59 PM

Default Punch (in and out) pedals on current multi-track recorders

I'm curious about whether these are still around because they used to be ubiquitous in the days of 4+ track cassette and reel to reel multi-track recorders. Rather than do a track over due to a complete mess-up on my part, there are rare occasions where I'd love to use a foot pedal to punch-in and record over that one spot that is bad.

Of course, every recorder on the planet appears to have that punch-in (automated) function where you painstakingly set up the mm:ss moment in the recordings for auto-punch-in and out and I hate those things ;) . It's one of those things I feel like I'll never live long enough to have the patience to use well. I just want a pedal to punch in and out with. And: Yes, I'd be willing to buy another recorder to achieve this. Tascam and Fostex recorders almost always came with this ability (a punch pedal jack) prior to the last 10 years.

I've currently got a Zoom H4n and like it but I'm constantly doing re-takes because .. it has auto-punchin and out. Any ideas about this capability? I used to be really good at making corrections using a pedal without there being any detectable artifacts on the tape (now digital memory, etc). It's just that they appear to have fallen from style.

Thanks in advance if anyone knows about this.
Old 11-25-2014, 06:24 PM
Guitar Gourmet

The Tascam console units allow contact closure to initiate punch in and out. You can use a footswitch to trigger that.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 11-25-2014, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
The Tascam console units allow contact closure to initiate punch in and out. You can use a footswitch to trigger that.

Bob
Thanks, Bob. I'll take a look at those again. Didn't realize they still supported it.

Edit:

Just noticed the Tascam DP-03SD, which at least, on paper, looks pretty good and supports punch pedal and transport control on a 3-button foot switch. Maybe worth a look-see.

Last edited by mhs; 11-25-2014 at 09:10 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD