The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 11-25-2014, 04:38 PM

Default Fading the finish of a guitar.

My Epiphone inspired by 1964 Texan arrived this morning, I switched the pickup out for the M1a and it sounds awesome!, I really like it.
However, the guitar has an aging toner on it to make the spruce look more mellow, however, on this example it looks rather orange not massively but it is a bit darker than expected, is it possible to fade the finish to help it look a little bit more natural?, if so, how?

Alex Kirtley, UK
Old 11-26-2014, 07:46 AM

That's the problem with trying to use tints and shaders to mimic age, they never really look natural no matter how well done. If it is a poly finish it will likely not change at all even as it ages.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Howard View Post
That's the problem with trying to use tints and shaders to mimic age, they never really look natural no matter how well done. If it is a poly finish it will likely not change at all even as it ages.
Oh well, I have found a solution ...... I will call it Ginger

It doesn't look too bad, I have an old classical guitar which is almost the same shade, however that has the dings, wear and scratches to match, with this it is new and shiny with a colour you would associate with an old guitar.

A little while ago we had someone come to the local folk clubs who lives in Virginia but comes over the pond 6 months a year, he had a limited edition Martin D-41 Made of Madagascar Rosewood, the top on that was tinted to the same colour as my Epiphone.

I reckon once I wear it in a bit it will suit its colour.

Alex Kirtley, UK
Old 11-26-2014, 11:05 AM

Some tinted finishes fade with exposure. If this is one of them, exposing it to UV light will do the trick.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair