The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Old 09-24-2014, 07:17 PM
Charter Member

Default 1999 Taylor 310 - HUGE sound!

**SOLD**

Hey all! Here's another guitar I'm reluctantly letting go to fund the move back to Austin in a few months. This is a '99 Taylor 310 I picked up awhile back. I got in a bind where I needed a guitar quick for a gig I was offered at short notice (had one out, one on the way). When I went to go check it out, I honestly wasn't expecting much. It was an all solid wood guitar under $1k and I figured it'd at a minimum have the typical balanced Taylor sound...I was WAY off! Sure, it's balanced, but this wood will rumble your chest! I've only owned a few guitars over the years as resonate as this one - the sound blossoms out if it more than many of the higher end acoustics I've had. I've been indifferent about letting it go, but alas, we're trekking 6k miles in less than two months so every penny counts.

It's in great shape for being 15 years old - a few small dings on the top (nothing major), back and sides are clean with no buckle rash or the like, only a teeny bit of wear on the first few frets (typical B string type), straight neck, plays without any buzzing top to bottom, medium-low action, truss rod adjusts as it should...just a wonderful all around guitar.

As for tone, I'd say it's somewhere between a rosewood lush and mahogany dry....leaning a little more towards the mahogany side in regards to clarity. Surprisingly, it doesn't have an overbearing mid range as some hog style guitars do, and it has an uncharacteristically rumbling low end!

*I'll be doing some recordings with it tonight.

Specs:

Top - SOLID Sitka Spruce (gloss - has aged to a nice warm "vintage" tone, check out that silking!)
Back & Sides: SOLID Sapelle
Fretboard: SOLID black ebony w/ pearl dots
Nut Width: 1-11/16"
Bridge: SOLID black ebony w/ ebony pins
Tuners: Grovers (stays in tune like a champ!)
Case: Nice padded gig bag
Electronics: none

I'm looking for exactly what I have into it - $SOLD PP and shipped via FedEx 2-day to your door. FedEx 2-day is the only shipping method I will use out of Juneau. I've owned some of the nicer Eastmans and a few other solid wood guitars under $1k and this one takes the cake. I won't be disappointed if I have to keep it until I get back south.

*On a quick side note, I popped a Fishman Rare Earth Blend into it for the show I mentioned above, running it into a Fishman Platinum EQ and straight into the board. I had several folks come up and ask what it was and commented on the big balanced tone. The sound guy was blown away!

Last edited by Mayfair; 09-25-2014 at 01:18 AM.
Old 09-24-2014, 07:32 PM
Musical minimalist

One of the earliest guitars I've seen with the NT joint - (july '99)

Last edited by fitness1; 09-25-2014 at 12:22 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars