The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 06-22-2023, 01:29 PM
Charter Member

Default Furch Crossover opinions?

Interested to know the opinions of any who care to jump in about the Furch crossover. I am researching moderately priced crossovers, and came across the Furch online. Thanks much
Old 06-22-2023, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlemantel View Post
Interested to know the opinions of any who care to jump in about the Furch crossover. I am researching moderately priced crossovers, and came across the Furch online. Thanks much
Have you watched the Alamo Music review?
Old 06-22-2023, 04:36 PM

If you are prepared for a VERY narrow nut width, why not. Fuchs are great guitars.

To me, a nut width of 45mm is out of the question. I couldn't get used to the 48mm Yamaha that I had, simply too narrow for me. Nylon strings are thick...

YMMV of course, but try before you buy or make sure whoever you buy from has an acceptable return policy.

Martin OM-28V
Yamaha FSX3
Godin Arena Pro CW Bourbon Burst
Manuel Rodriguez Magistral D-C
EBS Stanley Clarke Sig. Acoustic Pre
Alto TX210 powered speaker
Old 06-24-2023, 02:52 AM

Default Narrow, but may still work.

The Furch crossover instruments have a narrow neck, 45 mm at the nut I believe. My thought is that this is too narrow for nylon strings and their larger diameters.

But, I recently played a crossover guitar with such a narrow neck and I actually really liked it. My hands and fingers are small so this may still be a problem for average to larger hands.

I usually build my classical guitars with 49-50 mm nut width because this suits me. Typically classical guitars are 52 mm at the nut and 62 mm at the 12th fret. Nobody has ever commented on the necks being too narrow - and that included David Russell and Milos Kardaglic - gratuitous name dropping! Maybe they were just being polite.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical