The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 06-22-2023, 08:55 AM
Charter Member

Default crossover/short scale recommendation

If you had 4-5000 to spend, what short scale (640-ish) or crossover would you consider buying, looking for good sustain, good intonation up and down the neck, good volume in all registers including solid bass projection and warm highs, you know, all this things you hope for in a good nylon string. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-24-2023, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlemantel View Post
If you had 4-5000 to spend, what short scale (640-ish) or crossover would you consider buying, looking for good sustain, good intonation up and down the neck, good volume in all registers including solid bass projection and warm highs, you know, all this things you hope for in a good nylon string. Thanks in advance.
For that amount likely nothing from a typical production line. I'd go direct luthier.
Old 06-24-2023, 08:19 AM
Charter Member

The shorter scale ones (i.e. 640mm) are harder to find, but Kenny Hill comes to mind if I were going to look for one. This Hill crossover design checks all your boxes, except for the price. They have gotten more expensive, as with everything else:
Hill Crossover short scale
You might be able to come across a used one for lesser money, but it might be a long wait. They're popular instruments. Hill is a fine maker.

But you did say short scale OR crossover.
The standard crossovers (Crossover I) from Cervantes are very nice instruments, and less money than your budget, but they are all 650mm scale guitars (I believe).
I have a very nice Cervantes Crossover II model, which is the same as the I model, except that it has the regular 2" classical neck. Mine also has a 640mm scale, but I had to specify that as a special. I dealt with Alejandro Cervantes directly on that before hand, and then ordered it locally. He's a nice guy and very easy to deal with. It's a guitar I have come to really like (mad rose + Engelmann spruce top), and came under your budget figures. That's why I mention it. Cervantes is a good one to keep on your radar, as well as Hill.
Good luck in your search!

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 06-25-2023, 09:38 PM
Humanist

This may or may not be of interest to you, but back in 2013-14 I commissioned a short-scale classical w/cutaway from a local builder, Anders Sterner. Anders has placed instruments with a few internationally-touring artists, including Matthew Greif of the LA Guitar Quartet....this is the real-deal, a concert-quality instrument.

This guitar is a 604 mm scale (not a typo, not 640)....that is, 23.75"...

I played that guitar exclusively for a number of years when I was having some serious hand problems.

Here are two videos of that guitar:

100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 06-25-2023, 10:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Pattis View Post
This may or may not be of interest to you, but back in 2013-14 I commissioned a short-scale classical w/cutaway from a local builder, Anders Sterner. Anders has placed instruments with a few internationally-touring artists, including Matthew Greif of the LA Guitar Quartet....this is the real-deal, a concert-quality instrument.

This guitar is a 604 mm scale (not a typo, not 640)....that is, 23.75"...

I played that guitar exclusively for a number of years when I was having some serious hand problems.

Here are two videos of that guitar:

Larry, this is beautiful playing. The second piece, I especially like. The guitar is a wonderful instrument.
Old 06-26-2023, 08:28 AM

Thanks for the videos, Larry. I have a couple of crossover nylons, but currently spending most of my time playing a Cordoba Cadete. I love the 24-1/4" scale length combined with the narrower 1-7/8" nut width.

I play capoed often, as high as the forth or fifth fret and I still have no problem with the even shorter inter-fret distances.
Old 06-28-2023, 10:02 PM
Charter Member

I have a few short scale nylon guitars.

I have a Cordoba Torres model (640mm scale 51mm nut) that is made in Oxnard,Ca. and is a fantastic guitar. I picked it up used for a fraction of your budget. As a home player it’s way more guitar than I need.
You can find lots of reviews on line. Here’s a video of Tavi Jinariu playing one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hel3j4TQdAs

I also have a Kenny Hill New World Player Series that is short scale(628/50), solid woods(spruce over rosewood)that I picked up used for a fraction of your budget. Like the Torres copy, it has a slightly smaller body. It is made in China. They make them in a variety of scales(650,640,628,610). There are lots of reviews on the web. This was my first classical guitar and I don’t regret it’s purchase.

Cordoba makes a parlor classical that has a 630mm scale with mahogany back and sides(C9) or rosewood(C10). These are both a fraction of your stated budget. If I hadn’t already purchased the Kenny Hill I likely would have started with one of these.
Bradford Werner of thisclassicalguitar.com did thorough reviews of each:

https://www.thisisclassicalguitar.co...ssical-guitar/

https://www.thisisclassicalguitar.co...parlor-guitar/

I also have an Emerald X7 nylon which has a short scale and a 48mm nut- more like a cross over guitar- and a radiused fretboard. It’s a completely different beast in that it’s made of carbon fiber. I travel with it and use it in situations that would potentially damage a solid wood guitar.

Good luck with your search.

-Tom
Old 06-28-2023, 10:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRose View Post
I have a few short scale nylon guitars.

I have a Cordoba Torres model (640mm scale 51mm nut) that is made in Oxnard,Ca. and is a fantastic guitar. I picked it up used for a fraction of your budget. As a home player it’s way more guitar than I need.
You can find lots of reviews on line. Here’s a video of Tavi Jinariu playing one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hel3j4TQdAs

I also have a Kenny Hill New World Player Series that is short scale(628/50), solid woods(spruce over rosewood)that I picked up used for a fraction of your budget. Like the Torres copy, it has a slightly smaller body. It is made in China. They make them in a variety of scales(650,640,628,610). There are lots of reviews on the web. This was my first classical guitar and I don’t regret it’s purchase.

Cordoba makes a parlor classical that has a 630mm scale with mahogany back and sides(C9) or rosewood(C10). These are both a fraction of your stated budget. If I hadn’t already purchased the Kenny Hill I likely would have started with one of these.
Bradford Werner of thisclassicalguitar.com did thorough reviews of each:

https://www.thisisclassicalguitar.co...ssical-guitar/

https://www.thisisclassicalguitar.co...parlor-guitar/

I also have an Emerald X7 nylon which has a short scale and a 48mm nut- more like a cross over guitar- and a radiused fretboard. It’s a completely different beast in that it’s made of carbon fiber. I travel with it and use it in situations that would potentially damage a solid wood guitar.

Good luck with your search.

-Tom
Thanks Tom. I've considered all these guitars. It is good to see votes of confidence for them.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical