The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 04-05-2014, 08:47 PM

I think the assumption is that by finding the data, we can hopefully extract some useful data that will help the living in the future (by helping to prevent whatever happened here).
Old 04-06-2014, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SongwriterFan View Post
I think the assumption is that by finding the data, we can hopefully extract some useful data that will help the living in the future (by helping to prevent whatever happened here).
Exactly. Millions of people fly on jet airliners every day...many on the 777. Not only do the powers that be want (need) to find out WHAT happened, but just as importantly, WHY.

The money and resources being spent ARE for the living.

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 04-06-2014, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggerphil View Post
Exactly. Millions of people fly on jet airliners every day...many on the 777. Not only do the powers that be want (need) to find out WHAT happened, but just as importantly, WHY.

The money and resources being spent ARE for the living.
A quick Google search shows In the USA(one country) there are a approximately 40,000 annual fatalities related to motor vehicles...I imagine globally the numbers must be astounding. For USA commercial plane crashes the number of fatalities seemed to be around 200 annually.

Sorry the numbers just don`t add up...for me anyways.

I do realize that even if the powers that be don`t spend this money on the search and recovery it doesn`t mean they will spend it on other things. It`s just a shame in a world of austerity, budget cuts, poverty etc that money and time is found for stuff like this. I`m sure I could save a lot of lives for the dough being spent.
Old 04-07-2014, 03:07 AM

Default Something

since the transponder went off 40 minutes into the flight , They may had had a massive bird strike somewhere around 10-15 minutes into the flight which could have potentially torn the entire roof of the cockpit off killing everyone in the cockpit . There wouldn't had been anytime for radio transmissions and transponder knob could had been hit by stuff and people flying around. Some migratory birds can fly up to 16,000 feet which would have taken them about 10-15 minutes to reach , Im guessing ..I was involved in aviation for 35 years ..working in 6 different radar facilities worldwide. the plane would likely had done it's own thing after that I guess..or a weather balloon ...meteor strike ?? I don't think anything was intentional .. And to the above , a 777 could stall ( intentionally ) , depending on head on wind a lot slower than 140 .
Old 04-07-2014, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireside_Guitar View Post
Personally I would rather see all this money spent on the living instead of the presumed dead. In a world where there is so many causes that can improve the quality of life for people who can use a helping hand it seems a shame to be wasting so many resources on this mission.
I would imagine that the families want closure on their loved ones. I know I would.

I think they in fact do know what happened to the plane and always knew. A part of me believes that that the pilot was suicidal and the Malaysian government knows that as well. They don't want that coming out because of the consequences to the airline in terms of the lawsuits, possible bankruptcy, travel to Malaysia that would affect tourism and therefore $$$.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:59 AM

Last edited by unimogbert; 03-07-2023 at 11:47 PM.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:18 AM

But the wind does have an effect on the ground speed you can land at.

I've flown an RC model Piper Cub backwards before (while maintaining altitude)
Old 04-07-2014, 09:32 AM

I have no doubt in my mind that this event was deliberate. Either the Pilot, Co-Pilot, or a perp who got in the cockpit made this happen.

I have over 10,000 hours logged flying heavy jets (USAF), and that's how I see it.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post
I have no doubt in my mind that this event was deliberate. Either the Pilot, Co-Pilot, or a perp who got in the cockpit made this happen.

I have over 10,000 hours logged flying heavy jets (USAF), and that's how I see it.
My uncle is a recently retired airline pilot and told me last time I saw him that that is the only way he could understand this happening.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderTrap999 View Post
. And to the above , a 777 could stall ( intentionally ) , depending on head on wind a lot slower than 140 .
An airplane stalls at the same indicated speed, regardless of wind, depending on the flap setting. It's the angle of attack that stalls the wing.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SongwriterFan View Post
But the wind does have an effect on the ground speed you can land at.

I've flown an RC model Piper Cub backwards before (while maintaining altitude)
You'll enjoy this.

http://youtu.be/c99ZHZw97rU
Old 04-07-2014, 09:06 PM

Impressive . . . not so sure I'd do it with myself in the cockpit, though.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:45 PM

Quote:

I think the new radar data and the fact that the plane flew north then west over Indonesia before heading to the South Indian ocean pretty much seals that deal. The plane was piloted to purposefully avoid Indonesian airspace and radar -- if, of course, we can believe this latest report.

max
Old 04-07-2014, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjz View Post
if, of course, we can believe this latest report.
Why would one pilot around Indonesia to avoid radar only to crash into the ocean?
Old 04-08-2014, 05:50 AM

Quote:

I have nothing like your experience, but that's the way I see it, as well. One aspect that hasn't been mentioned is the status of the passengers during flight. It has been assumed that they were all dead during the lengthy flight south. Buy, why?

If someone in the cockpit killed the rest of the crew, put the plane on autopilot, and the killed himself, isn't it possible that the passengers remained alive until the end? Imagine what it would be like to be on a 7-hour auto-piloted flight to nowhere. That's the stuff of terror movies.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic