The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-15-2004, 10:37 AM

Default Martin 000-16GT vs. 000-18

I am shopping for an OM size guitar and really enjoyed playing the Martin 000-16GT. The question I have is what are the significant differences between this guitar and the Martin 000-18? I haven't had a chance to play the 000-18 yet.

Is there a big difference in sound between the two guitars? In your opinion, is the extra money for the Martin 000-18 worth it?

Thanks!
Old 07-15-2004, 12:17 PM

Here's a link to Martin's All Models pages . . .

http://www.martinguitar.com/guitars/choosing/model.php

The differences are going to be in the neck joint (mortise & tenon on the 16, dovetail on the 18), different top braces and pattern, use of micarta on the 16 vs ebony on the 18, full gloss body on the 18, gloss top and satin B&S on the 16, spanish cedar neck on the 16, mahogany on the 18, etc etc.

Also check out the Martin Forum for lots of other info . . .

http://pub125.ezboard.com/btheunoffi...tinguitarforum
Old 07-15-2004, 12:19 PM

There are five main differences:

> The 18 gets a dovetail neck joint, and the 16 gets a mortise-and-tenon joint.

> The 18 gets "standard" Martin X-bracing, while the 16 gets a hybrid of the A-frame designed for the 1 Series and the 18's standard bracing. The 16 gest scalloped braces, but the standard 000-18 does not. Frank Ford lays out the bracing patterns (on dreads) at http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Hist...tinbraces.html

> The 000-18 has a 24.9" scale, and the 000-16 has a 25.4" scale.

> The standard 16 gets a Micarta fretboard and bridge (some upgraded models get ebony) while the 18's fretboard and bridge are rosewood.

> The 16's finish is glossy on top and satin on the back/sides, while the 18's is full gloss nitro lacquer.

Things get more confusing when you look at the OM versus the 000. At the 16 level, the only difference is nut width and pickguard shape. At the 18 level, the OM gets the longer scale and (I think) somewhat different bracing. Also, at this time it seems that the only OMs at the 18 level are Vintage and Golden Era models.

Last edited by cpmusic; 07-15-2004 at 12:24 PM.
Old 07-15-2004, 12:20 PM

Oooh, missed the scale difference!
Old 07-16-2004, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uberchauch
I am shopping for an OM size guitar and really enjoyed playing the Martin 000-16GT. The question I have is what are the significant differences between this guitar and the Martin 000-18? I haven't had a chance to play the 000-18 yet.

Is there a big difference in sound between the two guitars? In your opinion, is the extra money for the Martin 000-18 worth it?

Thanks!
In my opinon, the extra money for the 000-18 is not worth it. I was shopping for a 000 Martin and played both the 000-16 and the 000-18 (and the 000-28). The decision was easy for me, no big differences in sound, only in finish. So, I finally bought the 000-16RGT and saved some golden coins. But of course, it is a matter of personal taste. Try to find a store that keeps both the 000-18 and the 000-16 in stock, play them, listen and follow your intuition. At first, I had some preconceptions of the Micarta fingerboard of the 000-16 (Micarta is a fiber-based laminate), but then, after having tried the guitar out, I thought to myself: "Am I really that vain???. If I like it, then why not just like it then, even if it is not real wood" A good feature of the Micarta is that it is not "alive" like wood, in other words it will not shrink (Like wooden fingerboards may do if they dry out)

Cheers!

Simon

Last edited by SimonW; 07-16-2004 at 12:45 AM.
Old 07-16-2004, 01:13 AM

I haven't tried a 000-18, but I just got a pre-micarta 000-16GT shipped to Denmark. Fantastic little guitar, with excellent dynamic range, and response. I got eaten by customs, but that's Denmark for you. The A frame bracing has some real advantages for those who like the sound of it, and and the woods and workmanship on the guitar are top class. I haven't really connected with the European (Furch), and Australian (Maton) 000's I played, but this one works. They were mostly standard X braced. The Furch guitars by the way are beautiful, but there wasn't one I really digged.

/Damien
Old 07-16-2004, 05:24 AM

One other thing: Martin is now making some "custom" 16 series guitars for some of their dealers. They have a full gloss finish, bone nut and saddle, and ebony fretboard and bridge. I'm not sure what the upcharge is, but I don't think it's too high. I believe FQMS lists some of these, and I know one local dealer (Shade Tree in Laguna Niguel) that has a few as well.
Old 07-16-2004, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpmusic
One other thing: Martin is now making some "custom" 16 series guitars for some of their dealers. They have a full gloss finish, bone nut and saddle, and ebony fretboard and bridge. I'm not sure what the upcharge is, but I don't think it's too high. I believe FQMS lists some of these, and I know one local dealer (Shade Tree in Laguna Niguel) that has a few as well.
Yup. I have an FQMS M-16FGEB (full gloss, ebony fretboard, bridge and pins with a bone saddle). The total upcharge is really reasonable IMO and makes the guitar a lot nicer.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion