The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-03-2010, 08:36 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwlt View Post
Hi all, long time lurker of the forums finally posting.. I'm hoping to get some advice on a "made for fingerstyle" acoustic, bc my Seagull isn't cutting it anymore. I've been researching on this forum and others for a long time but can't find the specific guitar that is what I'm looking for and fits my budget of $1300 (I'm probably asking too much for too little)
I want to be able to play wide variety of fingerstyle with one guitar, styles of Andy Mckee, Dufour and the other candyrat.com artists as well as travis picking, bossa nova, classical etc. SO...

Whats the BEST used instrument I can buy with about $1300 tops?
Would LOVE a custom but obviously I don't have the $$.. Know of any Lakewood/Goodall/Collings or similar medium/high-end used guitars for that low?
-Need guitar that can be tuned low on occasion and still sound healthy.
-Rich overtones and great sustain
-Balanced overall with decent bass.
-Cutaway and/or 14 fret model preferred but not required.
-1 3/4" nut
-Easy to play! frets easy, low action and not too high string tension using medium light strings

Thanks for any ideas!
joe
Joe,
Here's a listing for a used Taylor 512, which was always my favorite model:

"Taylor 512, . Here's a nice used Taylor small-body that's very affordable. This one sports an engleman spruce top, mahogany back and sides, and is in perfect playing condition. One ding in the top thats very noticeable keeps the price down, making this one a great deal. Includes it's original hard case. $1,150."
Pioneer Music Co.
6000 SE Stark Portland OR 97215 • 503.224.4047
Old 01-03-2010, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwlt View Post
WOW, I was unsure I would get much of a response not having contributed to the forum before and asking so many questions so thanks for your input! I used to have a 000 Martin that didn't have much bass response although the mids and highs were lush...
One thing I do with the OM's and Triple O guitars I favor is put John Pearse armrests on them so they can vibrate to their fullest extent and produce their richest tone. You might be surprised at how much extra bass response the simple act of getting your forearm off the top of a Triple O can produce....

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 01-03-2010, 09:15 PM
Musical minimalist

Jim at Trinity has a used Larrivee L-05 that could be had for well under your budget.....call him for the best price!

http://www.trinityguitars.com/steelstr/used/frame.htm

Old 01-03-2010, 09:41 PM

I like Taylor's Grand Auditorium body shape but if you need to play over one leg for whatever reason the balance is not ideal. It has a big lower bout and a tiny upper bout. Classical posture or standing is fine though and its thinner than it seems so even though the lower bout is about the width of a dread, its way easier to reach around.

Grand Concert size (like the 512 mentioned above) balances nice over one leg because its more symmetrical but you say you want bass and I wouldn't associate any of the x12s with big bass or any of the GCx's. They are super easy to play though - 1 3/4" nuts, fast neck, usually very decent factory setup and the body is tiny so if you are into percussive technique and right hand tapping its like theres nothing in your lap at all.

There are a few quirks about some of the x12s though that you may or may not be able to live with. I own a 712 and its not the most hardwearing guitar ever so be careful with it. The other thing is that mines a 1997 model and the neck has a satin finish. Well the satin finish wore off in about a week to a gloss and it keeps doing this. Some other guy mentioned this in a harmony central review and its exactly the same thing that happens with me. I don't know if its a year thing or what but if a glossy neck is going to annoy you then stay away from the x12s from circa 1997 I guess.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:48 PM

I had a Larrivee OM-03R, a very good guitar but lacking the bass I wanted. Bought a Martin OM-21 for an all-round guitar last July and have enjoyed it every day. It's got the low end the OM-03R lacked and rich overtones to boot. If a cutaway is a non-negotiable, though, the OM-21 is not.

Hope you the best.

Bill
Old 01-03-2010, 11:02 PM

PM replied to...

IMO Larrivees are great mid-priced guitars. Warmer than a Taylor, brighter than a Martin, not as expensive as a Collings. Very versatile, well built, nice materials, great playability, etc. I've owned a few and they've been my main performing and recording guitars to this point (I play and compose for a living)...
Old 01-04-2010, 08:09 AM

Default finger picker

I have a Everett Laurel : see here:
http://www.billpillmore.com/Laurel.html
Woolson LG
Woolson OM (Special Bracing/Double Top)
Bashkin SJ-12
Baranik Retreux Parlor
H&D 00-SP Cedar
John Kinnaird Hi-Strung Guitar
Old 01-04-2010, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turp View Post
Welcome to the AGF.

Lots of choices mostly in the used market. The Breedlove C25CR Pro Herringbone, to my ear, meets the preferences you listed, although I just sold one it is by far one of the best sounding instruments I have played. It had rich Bass, resonance, and overtones. The neck profile was just a tad thicker than I prefer, but it was still less thick than Seagulls I have played.

A used Martin OM or 000 with rosewood back and sides also meets your list.
Hi All:
A big +1 on the Breedlove Pro Series C25 CRH. Brand new they are only a couple hundred more than your budgeted price, and that includes a very very nice hard case. Also, as of October of 2009, they are now completely made in Bend Oregon!!! They sound fantastic for the styles you are seeking to play, and they have super fast and smooth necks. You can easily buy one used but mint condition for well under your price point, or if you can fudge up a little, you can buy one brand new. They were designed for fingerstyle, so do give them a good look!

Very Best Regards
duff
Old 01-04-2010, 11:12 AM

I love the look of that Everett guitar Bill. Those abalone fret markers and logo are class, sounds great too from your recordings. how much you asking?

Thinking about this used C25/CRH Pro for $XXXK or a Stonebridge G-23 CR

Stonebridge:

Last edited by Fliss; 02-03-2010 at 10:39 AM. Reason: AGF rule number 2 no guitar price discussion, thanks
Old 01-04-2010, 01:50 PM
Charter Member

+1 on the Breelove Pro Series C25CR

Great guitars for the money! Like a Taylor 712ce but for half the price.

Quote:
Welcome to the AGF.

Lots of choices mostly in the used market. The Breedlove C25CR Pro Herringbone, to my ear, meets the preferences you listed, although I just sold one it is by far one of the best sounding instruments I have played. It had rich Bass, resonance, and overtones. The neck profile was just a tad thicker than I prefer, but it was still less thick than Seagulls I have played.

Old 02-01-2010, 06:57 PM

Default lakewood guitar

hi i'm not sure if you ever heard of Lakewood guitar? they are hand made in germany i'm selling mine model is M1/32 if you are interested i can send you some pictures i'm asking XXX$ shipped to usa
comes ih a hard shell case

Last edited by Fliss; 02-03-2010 at 10:39 AM. Reason: AGF rule number 2 no guitar price discussion, thanks
Old 02-01-2010, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Welcome to the AGF.

Yes indeed...a HUGE +1 for the Breedlove C25 CRH Pro Series. They are all USA made in Bend Oregon, and feature solid Red Cedar top, Indian Rosewood back and sides, ebony fingerboard and bridge! They can even be had new if you shop carefully, for your stated price. They are wonderful guitars, super easy to play, huge huge sound with even a light touch, and they have nice discret built in electronics. Do give them a look and a listen!

Very Best Regards
duff
Old 02-02-2010, 09:52 PM

Lowden makes a stunning fingerstyle guitar. I had an L25C that I sold for $X,XXX, so theyre out there used. I'm not a fingerstyle player, so I thought it was more worthy of another player.
Taylor 815C, Taylor 410e, Taylor 314ce, Taylor 224ce-K DLX, Taylor 110e, Martin D-18GE, Martin D-14 Woodstock, Little Martin Felix II, Sigma DM-5, Sigma DR-41, Martin 000x1e, Washburn 314k Parlor-125th anniv, Yamaha FG730s, Liberty Mahogany resonator
Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Epiphone Sheraton II, Fender Amer. Std. SSH Strat, Ibanez SZ520

Last edited by Fliss; 02-03-2010 at 10:38 AM. Reason: AGF fule number 2, no guitar price discussion, thanks!
Old 02-02-2010, 10:39 PM
Charter Member

I got a used Lowden 010C off ebay for about that price. Couldn't be happier.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:46 AM
happiness

H jwlt, welcome to the forum, good to have you with us

I think this thread is treading a fine line, because it started out as a request for recommendations, which is fine, but if it turns into a "would like to buy..." it becomes a classified ad, which is fine in our classifieds area which is open to charter members, but not in the general acoustic guitar discussion area. There's also a need to bear in mind our rule of "no guitar price discussion" - it's fine to say you're looking for recommendations within a particular budget, but not to specify a price for a particular guitar.

So as long as we stay on the right side of that line, we're good!

Fliss

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion