The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-10-2018, 08:50 PM

This line of tributes to Depression era guitars (or the tones they produce), may not be for everyone. But make no mistake, skeptics; the build quality of these Waterloos is top notch. Glue globs or no glue globs.

Last edited by upsidedown; 03-11-2018 at 01:18 AM. Reason: Egregious spelling error!
Old 03-10-2018, 11:55 PM
Guest 728

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looburst View Post
That's some beautiful figuring on that Maple, Willie!
Thank you! If that flame was on a PRS Custom 22, they'd call it a "ten top."

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedown View Post
the build quality of these Waterloos is top notch. Glue globs or no glue globs.
My '97 Westerly Guild has many more glue boogers and squeeze-out than my Waterloo.
Old 03-11-2018, 08:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
Note that I have been through the experience of vintage, collectable, old worn mojo guitars. I have also been through enough guitars and equipment to know a slight difference in tone or timber isn't anything to wet your panties over. These are the real deal. Not the original but they are the real deal. They are a first class build. Plus they are fun. Having an original is a little serious.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looburst View Post
I would agree with all that's been said. Wilie and Mr. Jelly make the point clear. As a person who owns 3 old Gibsons, 2 wartime Banner LG2s, a 1943 and a 1944, and one 1934 museum quality 14 fret L-Century Gibson. These guitars are fun to play but do they intonate as well as Waterloos? It's not even close, IMO.

That's some beautiful figuring on that Maple, Willie!
I’ve had multiple museum and beater versions of KG-11s, KG-14s, CJR versions, L-00s from 33-35, a 36 L-Century and every copy from Flammang, SCGC, Kopp, Gibson etc etc....the only one I have now is a WL-12. Here’s a shot right now of me n Rose listening to Clapton unplugged.
Old 03-11-2018, 09:37 PM

Nice Jim!

Perry
Old 03-11-2018, 09:43 PM
Charter Member

"Before You Accuse Me". I wonder how that sounds played on a Waterloo.

Barry

Avalon Ard Ri L2-320C, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Guild D-120

Cordoba C12, C5, and Fusion 12

Celtic on YouTube (Subscribers wanted!)

Nylon on YouTube

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral}:

Old 03-11-2018, 11:31 PM

Probably not as good as an old 1939 OM Martin would, or did.
Old 03-12-2018, 04:10 AM
Charter Member

There is a Rolly Brown You Tube video somewhere where he's playing a Gibson and a Waterloo wl-12. He plays the same song on both and cuts back and forth between guitars. Very good editing by the way. If you close your eyes as he plays and guess which guitar he is playing and then open your eyes you'll be wrong as often as not. I can't hear any difference between them myself.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 03-12-2018, 08:49 AM
Guest 728

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
There is a Rolly Brown You Tube video somewhere where he's playing a Gibson and a Waterloo wl-12. He plays the same song on both and cuts back and forth between guitars. Very good editing by the way. If you close your eyes as he plays and guess which guitar he is playing and then open your eyes you'll be wrong as often as not. I can't hear any difference between them myself.
Found the video -- thanks for mentioning it. (He's playing a WL14, btw.) I can tell there's a difference between the two guitars (the Gibson sounds little warmer to my ears), but it's hardly profound, given the age difference. And you're right -- when you close your eyes and just listen, things get interesting. Makes me think about how great the Waterloo is going to sound in a few years!

Old 03-12-2018, 08:53 AM
Charter Member

Hey, that's great! Very interesting way to do it. Thanks for posting. I've always enjoyed Rolly Brown... nice guy, great player and excellent teacher.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion