The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-08-2018, 08:26 PM
AGF Sponsor

Boy, I sure like that look. I wonder if they’d make a WL-S with that combination of black and fire stripe guard...
Old 03-08-2018, 09:13 PM

Thank you Barry and others here! Robey, I think you got a great deal, if you found one of these used because they haven't been offering this guard on their jet black WL-14s for very long, less than 6 months, I think. Apparently someone got it and didn't like it, just like my first WL-14X sunburst I bought back in 2016. Think I payed around $1600 for it back then. This will be a new one but they do break in pretty quickly, if you play them a lot.
Old 03-08-2018, 11:01 PM

Great look for Waterloo! Willie, I have a WL-12Mh and it is great. I would also like one of these in black with the firestripe guard, but I'm pretty sure my wife wouldn't go for it.

Maybe a striped guard and a can of flat black paint for mine? Naaah.
Old 03-09-2018, 07:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looburst View Post
UPDATE! Well the guitar came in from the factory in Austin two days ago and had everything I ordered on it except for the fact that they put the white guard on it!
I'd of probably just asked them to send me a free fire strip pick guard and changed them out. But that's me.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 03-09-2018, 07:58 AM

I own a wl-14 - I've also had a variety of Gibson L-0x models - looking for that perfect blues sound. the WL is much better than any of the gibson's - I believe the ladder braced version is closer to the early 1900's L00's. However, if I had to do it all again - I would purchase the 12 fret version because I think the longer neck scale ratio to 12 frets favors blues playing.

I'd be interested to hear what others with WL's think - do the 12 sound more bluesy? Or is it just playability?

Also - I will admit - it appears the WL does not retain it's resale value like Gibson.
Old 03-09-2018, 10:32 AM
Guest 728

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmckenna45 View Post

I'd be interested to hear what others with WL's think - do the 12 sound more bluesy? Or is it just playability?

Also - I will admit - it appears the WL does not retain it's resale value like Gibson.
I think the 12-fret sounds more balanced, but the "bluesy" aspect can be gotten out of either model. The ladder-braced 14-fret is probably the bluesiest to my ears.

As for resale, you may be right, but it's pretty early in their history yet. It will be interesting to see how the Waterloos fare after some years pass.
Old 03-09-2018, 11:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Voltaire View Post
I think the 12-fret sounds more balanced, but the "bluesy" aspect can be gotten out of either model. The ladder-braced 14-fret is probably the bluesiest to my ears.

As for resale, you may be right, but it's pretty early in their history yet. It will be interesting to see how the Waterloos fare after some years pass.
I think on some of the models I've listened to on YouTube they took the "bluesy" thing too far. It's almost as if they were building a $400 guitar, jacking the price up and calling it "old time sound." To me it's just a cheap sound. Half that "old time sound" is from old recording equipment and the other half is because they played on cheap guitars.

I'd love to have a Waterloo, but I'm getting suspicious.

Somebody point me back to the light, lol.

Barry

Avalon Ard Ri L2-320C, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Guild D-120

Cordoba C12, C5, and Fusion 12

Celtic on YouTube (Subscribers wanted!)

Nylon on YouTube

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral}:

Old 03-09-2018, 11:48 AM

Yeah, they sound terrible ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 03-09-2018, 12:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I think on some of the models I've listened to on YouTube they took the "bluesy" thing too far. It's almost as if they were building a $400 guitar, jacking the price up and calling it "old time sound." To me it's just a cheap sound.

No I won't. These guitars are not for everybody. I've heard old blues men sound real crappy playing very nice and expensive guitars. What somebody wants in the sound of a guitar is very individual and subjective. I don't really know what exactly a bluesy sound is. They are quality built guitars. And what that holds is that the sound from them has much more refinement than a lesser quality built guitar. The sound and tone may be considered by some to be a cheap sound. But it has more refinement and focus in the sound than a $400 guitar. They have better fit and finish also.

Guitars are tools and one should always use the right tool for the job.

From the looks of your herd I wouldn't advise you to buy a Waterloo. It would only corrupt you

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 03-09-2018, 12:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
I'll bet it sounds more open and responds more freely than a recent Gibson. Looks good.
Well, that was my experience! in fact I went out that day to buy a Gibson L-00 butas the store had a few different models I hadn'r decided which one.

Tried 'em all .... came home with a WL-12.

I don't care for the black finish myself, but each to his own.
Old 03-09-2018, 01:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I think on some of the models I've listened to on YouTube they took the "bluesy" thing too far. It's almost as if they were building a $400 guitar, jacking the price up and calling it "old time sound." To me it's just a cheap sound. Half that "old time sound" is from old recording equipment and the other half is because they played on cheap guitars.

I don't know where the light is. It may be over there.

I've played and currently play a number of higher end guitars and all I can talk about is the Waterloo WL14L Tbar guitar I picked up. It sounds great. But I don't play the blues. Don't sing them either.

Does it sound like my similar sized Martin '35 0018. Nope. Like I expected, the ladder brace slightly smears the transients, like having a tiny bit of hall reverb. But it still projects well, sustains beautifully, takes a licking, is well balanced with a n very present low end and skinfingerpicks OK, though not nearly as nice as my Goodall Parlor. Does it sound a bit like the prewar 00 no name ladder brace guitar I've had for 40 years. Yes, it does. Except it's much easier to play, keep in tune, has more overhead, I can hear the bottom, has very nice sustain without losing the fundamental and the neck is not quite in Louisville Slugger territory.

Is it a great all rounder guitar like the Bourgeois JOM or Slope D I have, nope.

Does it fill a niche I hear in my head like my '64 Guild M20, yes, definitely. I can see using it on a bunch of rootsy/folky stuff I'm working on and I've been writing with it for the last few days on both finger and flatpicking stuff. It is a fun guitar to play and it makes me feel good playing it.

Will it keep up at Merlefest like my D35 at 1 in the afternoon. Nope.

Will it sound great sitting around drinking coffee at 8am with my Merlefest vendor buddies in the vendor camp before the hoards show up? Yep. Sure will.

Does it sound like a $400 guitar. Well, I original paid $500 for the '35 00-18, so almost, but different.

Was it worth the $1250 I paid for it. I think it was. Pretty too. Not a big fan of matt finishes, but whatever. Definitely not disappointing.
Old 03-09-2018, 05:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robey View Post
I don't know where the light is. It may be over there.

I've played and currently play a number of higher end guitars and all I can talk about is the Waterloo WL14L Tbar guitar I picked up. It sounds great. But I don't play the blues. Don't sing them either.

Does it sound like my similar sized Martin '35 0018. Nope. Like I expected, the ladder brace slightly smears the transients, like having a tiny bit of hall reverb. But it still projects well, sustains beautifully, takes a licking, is well balanced with a n very present low end and skinfingerpicks OK, though not nearly as nice as my Goodall Parlor. Does it sound a bit like the prewar 00 no name ladder brace guitar I've had for 40 years. Yes, it does. Except it's much easier to play, keep in tune, has more overhead, I can hear the bottom, has very nice sustain without losing the fundamental and the neck is not quite in Louisville Slugger territory.

Is it a great all rounder guitar like the Bourgeois JOM or Slope D I have, nope.

Does it fill a niche I hear in my head like my '64 Guild M20, yes, definitely. I can see using it on a bunch of rootsy/folky stuff I'm working on and I've been writing with it for the last few days on both finger and flatpicking stuff. It is a fun guitar to play and it makes me feel good playing it.

Will it keep up at Merlefest like my D35 at 1 in the afternoon. Nope.

Will it sound great sitting around drinking coffee at 8am with my Merlefest vendor buddies in the vendor camp before the hoards show up? Yep. Sure will.

Does it sound like a $400 guitar. Well, I original paid $500 for the '35 00-18, so almost, but different.

Was it worth the $1250 I paid for it. I think it was. Pretty too. Not a big fan of matt finishes, but whatever. Definitely not disappointing.
I'll have to get one eventually

Barry

Avalon Ard Ri L2-320C, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Guild D-120

Cordoba C12, C5, and Fusion 12

Celtic on YouTube (Subscribers wanted!)

Nylon on YouTube

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral}:

Old 03-09-2018, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
I'd of probably just asked them to send me a free fire strip pick guard and changed them out. But that's me.
I've already tried that once before, Collings won't do that.
Old 03-09-2018, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
Yeah, they sound terrible ;-)
As this points out perfectly, there are many styles you can play with this or any guitar. Players sometimes get tunnel vision when it comes to how guitars are advertised. I prefer to try one myself and see what it can do. After all it is built by Collings.
Old 03-09-2018, 11:15 PM
Charter Member

I ended up w/ two sunburst Waterloos, which isn't hard to do. Got the WL-12 first and liked it so much i bought a WL-14xt w/ the slightly smaller profile neck, only one I could find at the time was sunburst. I did wish it black at first but I've adjusted. Collings does a great burst even when they are not trying.

I don't think of Waterloos as blues guitars, even though the primary music i play is blues. I like the voicing, with John Pearse Phosphor Bronze on the WL-12 the overtones are so much fun. Playing chords up the neck w/ some open strings, it's fun to hear the overtones jumble around. The WL-14 has Martin Retros on it and a Sunrise in it and it's my gig acoustic. The Retros work well w/ the pickup but I do like Phosphor Bronze on the guitar as well.

I bought the WL-12 used, I'm the third owner and that underscores what folks have written here, it's not a guitar that everyone loves but for what I want to hear, the Waterloos (and a Martin OO-15m) pretty much hit all the bases for me except,...

I do wish Collings would do a Waterloo WL-12 w/ rosewood sides and back. I know there's a rosewood upgrade in the WL-JK model but it's just too big for me.

Last edited by stephenT; 03-09-2018 at 11:21 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion