The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-11-2018, 12:55 AM

Default "67 Gibson B25N

Have you owned/played on of these Gibsons? How would you compare/rate to a small body Martin, your thoughts please.
Old 03-11-2018, 01:33 AM

I used to own this same model, same year in fact. It has the same body shape as the earlier Lg-2s, very comfortable to play and with great Gibson mid-range tone, though a bit more muted than those lg-2s. The only problem for me was the slim neck, 1 5/8’’ at the nut. A very worthy guitar if the neck is ok for you.
Old 03-11-2018, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robroy View Post
I used to own this same model, same year in fact. It has the same body shape as the earlier Lg-2s, very comfortable to play and with great Gibson mid-range tone, though a bit more muted than those lg-2s. The only problem for me was the slim neck, 1 5/8’’ at the nut. A very worthy guitar if the neck is ok for you.
Thanking you kindly robroy........I don't know anything about Gibson guitars at all but when I heard the tone, I loved it very much. Actually it was a LG-1 I heard it from which led me to the B25. I also have no problem with the nut width. Cheers again robroy much appreciated.
Old 03-11-2018, 08:09 AM

While it is purely personal preference, for me the necks on Gibsons built that late are a deal breaker. Also, those guitars with the ADJ saddles have oversized laminate bridge plates which were not the best way to go in terms of sound. On the other hand, bracing did not start getting heavier until 1968 so with a bit of work you can get a guitar that sounds virtually no different than those made a decade before.

Last edited by zombywoof; 03-11-2018 at 08:23 AM.
Old 03-11-2018, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fongie View Post
Have you owned/played on of these Gibsons? How would you compare/rate to a small body Martin, your thoughts please.
I owned one from the late 60's. It was intended as a "student" model and not the equal of a small bodied Martin IMO.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 03-11-2018, 08:54 AM

I owned one, my college girlfriend had one... I love 'em! Never should have sold mine, but had to raise some cash for an electric that came my way.

If you like a 1 11/16" nut like me, you'll be fine with the B25.

Great guitars!
Old 03-11-2018, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post
If you like a 1 11/16" nut like me, you'll be fine with the B25.

Great guitars!
Not one made after 1965 during which year the nut was reduced to 1 9/16."
Old 03-11-2018, 09:48 AM
Charter Member

When I was in my 2nd year of college, 1967-68, my roommate had a Gibson B-25, which he never played and which he very much wanted me to play. And I had no 6-string guitar at the time, only my Harmony 1270 12-string, so I got a fair amount of playing time on the B-25. I thought it was a very nice guitar, but that was pretty early in my guitar journey, so that I can't say that I had a great perspective on how that guitar stacked up against small bodied Martin guitars.

I had no problem with the narrow nut width and never spent any time thinking about this issue. I'm sure the guitar had old strings -- they all seemed to have old strings in those days, including my guitar.

I have a soft spot in my heart for the B-25, but it did seem very much like a student model when I think back on it. It sure was pretty -- the one I played had a very lovely sunburst finish.

- Glenn
Old 03-11-2018, 02:48 PM

Many thanks gentlemen........yes I am concern about the Adj saddles and the bridge plate. This guitar I am interested in, will cost me 2250K AUD here in Australia, I can't afford to spend much more after that. on the flip side, it is in very good condition. Anyway, hopefully I get to play it this Tuesday and see for myself. Cheers guys, appreciate it.
Old 03-11-2018, 03:39 PM

I restored one for a friend a few years back that had been in a house fire, in a closet, and was smoked up pretty bad. It wasn't really damaged and turned out very nicely. I LOVED that little guitar. Played really easy, loose, but you could bang the heck out of it without buzz. Great plinky plunky sound. Unique. Unfortunately, I had to turn it back over to her so she could give it to one of her young relatives. I started to tell her it was destroyed, just forget it. no not really

When I checked the model and pricing, it was coming up $500/600 or so, if I remember correctly. I do recall her being disappointed at the low value. So, 2250 aus / $1766 usd? I think that's WAY too high. But maybe not for there and if you REALLY love the guitar. It is not a high-end model Gibson but it did sound and play better than any standard model Gibson I've ever played. To me.
Old 03-11-2018, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
Not one made after 1965 during which year the nut was reduced to 1 9/16."
yes it was dropped to 1 5/8"
Old 03-11-2018, 04:00 PM

$2250 AUS seems like the very high end of what one of these would be worth.

Would need to be in spectacular condition to be worth that, and IMO would need to have been converted to a fixed saddle.
Old 03-11-2018, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenL View Post
I restored one for a friend a few years back that had been in a house fire, in a closet, and was smoked up pretty bad. It wasn't really damaged and turned out very nicely. I LOVED that little guitar. Played really easy, loose, but you could bang the heck out of it without buzz. Great plinky plunky sound. Unique. Unfortunately, I had to turn it back over to her so she could give it to one of her young relatives. I started to tell her it was destroyed, just forget it. no not really

When I checked the model and pricing, it was coming up $500/600 or so, if I remember correctly. I do recall her being disappointed at the low value. So, 2250 aus / $1766 usd? I think that's WAY too high. But maybe not for there and if you REALLY love the guitar. It is not a high-end model Gibson but it did sound and play better than any standard model Gibson I've ever played. To me.
Thank you Steve, yeah it seems a tad too high, but the condition it's in is incredible that's why I am interested. Anyway hopefully I like it when I get to play it tomorrow. Thanks.
Old 03-11-2018, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDB View Post
$2250 AUS seems like the very high end of what one of these would be worth.

Would need to be in spectacular condition to be worth that, and IMO would need to have been converted to a fixed saddle.
Thanks MrDB, one of my concern is the saddle and the bridge plate. I don't know, I'm getting a cold feet now the more I think about it. LOL Actually he wanted 2600K AUD and I knocked him down to 2250K, it is in VGC well from what I saw on the pic's and from his opinion, tomorrow I get to see it for myself. I'll see what brings. Thanks heaps.
Old 03-11-2018, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fongie View Post
Thanks MrDB, one of my concern is the saddle and the bridge plate. I don't know, I'm getting a cold feet now the more I think about it. LOL Actually he wanted 2600K AUD and I knocked him down to 2250K, it is in VGC well from what I saw on the pic's and from his opinion, tomorrow I get to see it for myself. I'll see what brings. Thanks heaps.
They can be found here in the States for $1200-$1500 all day long. Of course they are significantly more scarce in Oz that they are here, so that has an effect on price as well.

And you get to see and play it before you buy so I say go for it. If you like it why not, it's only money

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion