The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-21-2002, 11:40 AM

Default another "is this a taylor"

check this out. i didn't know taylor made 12 string dreds nowadays, a 1998 750 no less. is this a taylor?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...item=851680900
Old 03-21-2002, 12:12 PM

I think they made 12-string dreads until just a few years ago. I don't know if this serial number is legit, but it would make the guitar a 1997 model and not a 1998 as the ad says. Otherwise, the details look right; it even has the newer dread shape. I might have expected gold plated tuners, but they appear to be Grovers, at least.
Old 03-21-2002, 01:33 PM

Default 750 12 string

Hi,

I have a 1996 Taylor catalog in front of me which shows the 750 in it.
Old 03-21-2002, 01:59 PM
Charter Member

Yeah this is a legit model at least, though I cant exactly speak for this exact instrument...someone on this board actually bought one of these, then sold it shortly after I believe...I forget who though.

(Insert one line representation of cleverness here)
Old 03-21-2002, 01:59 PM

well, live and learn, and this forum is a great place to learn
Old 03-21-2002, 02:16 PM

Yep! And Nope! I have a '97 catalog that has the 750 in it... the narrative says that Taylor is "pleased to welcome the model 750 back to (our) line for all those who have requested a rosewood Dreadnought 12-string"... I thought from that statement that they'd been reintroduced beginning in '97, but the fact that it's in the '96 catalog moves THAT theory back a year!! Good info!!

I think the 750s were discontinued again, after 1998 (??)... one of the TGF Members, getgo, just bought (and then sold!) a 1997 750 a few weeks ago... he indicated that there were only some 98 total pieces produced during that "reintroduction period". Those models all had the abalone rosette and chrome-plated Grovers.

My 1991 750 has the old-style, simple white/black rosette and Schaller mini-tuners... I have NO idea how many 750s might have been manufactured in the earlier production period, nor when the 750 was originally introduced and originally discontinued! Anyone out there know?

My take on the rosewood 12-string dread is that it has a "balanced" sound (i.e., not very heavy in the bass) with lots of sustain... very easy playing and "nice" sounding guitar. I think trombone has one hiding somewhere deep in that industial-grade storage rack! What's your impression of the 750, trombone?

"Experience is something you get just after you needed it!"
Old 03-22-2002, 07:45 AM

Industrial-grade storage rack! Make that racks.
Yeah, it's on the top of the smaller rack, a couple over from the guitar I pulled out last night.
I must be honest, I haven't played it for some time. We got it at a musical instrument pawn shop where it was quite dry. Rehumidified it, but then it needed new strings. All I remember is that it sounded pretty darned good for old black strings. Balanced, like you said. You know you are going to make me pull it out. Been wanting to anyway. Have to do that tonight.
The serial number dates it to 1986.
Old 03-22-2002, 04:08 PM

It's not in the 1995 catalog or the 1998 catalog, just the 1996 and 1997 ones.

Taylor's catalogs are famous for recycling text and photos over several years. The 1996 and 1997 catalogs are almost identical and the "welcoming back" the 12 string dread language is the same in both catalogs. Another bracket of catalogs that have almost identical texts and photos are the 1998, 1999 and 2000 ones.
Old 03-25-2002, 03:05 PM

YIKES! That there 750 that started this thread went for a pretty good chunka change, comparatively speaking!!

Well, trombone... did you get that poor little 750 out and loosen it up a bit? Bet it loves you now, for giving it a breath of fresh air and a touch of light to wash across those twelve little peggies! How did it sound to you? I read a post that Bob T. made quite a while back on 12-strings... he said (more or less) that he thought maybe he'd been a little "blindered" in his pursuit of 12-strings that played easily AND were tuned to concert pitch... seems his "new" take is to tune 'em DOWN (NOT to say that you can't tune a Taylor 12er to concert pitch and keep it there, though!) and use DEAD STRINGS!! The "dead strings" part will make a lot of folks happy, I think... and it might help to explain why that 750 of yours sounded so darned good after rehumidifying but still with the "black strings"!?

"Experience is something you get just after you needed it!"

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification