The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-19-2002, 12:42 PM

Lightbulb Eureka???

Just might be cherry-stained maple!! Sure wish "someone" could say for sure!

As for the mid-80s cases, here's mine from the '84 712. Like cpmusic says, it is NOT a nice tight custom fit, and there's no saddle/bridge pad on the inside of the lid, and there's NO support for the neck other than right at the body section... it's not a good case for "shipping", without adding padding in certain key areas!! But I'm pretty sure that folks would be able to tell it's a Taylor case, with that logo, like Mike A. was talking about!

Hey, cp - "My Guitar's Different From Yours... And Here's How!" (a little rosewood/herringbone, for contrast!)

"Experience is something you get just after you needed it!"
Old 03-19-2002, 01:16 PM

For my 2-bits worth, it looks like "Cherry Stained" Maple. Unless someone can get up close and personal with this guitar, or an answer from "Supreme Commander", I don't think we'll really know.

I do know that Cherry wood is used in the manufacture of pianos, so it does lend itself to being a "Tone wood". But as far as guitars go, I don't know of any manufacturers that have ever used this in their construction. Please enlighten me if you know.

As a foot note, Maple and Cherry AND Birch all have similar grain patterning in the "open" sections from their respective trees. When stained, it can become extremely hard to tell one from the other. That also applies to the parts and cuts of the tree from which the Flaming or burly pieces come from.

Best bet is to hear back from the man who's creation this one is.

Bill B.
Old 03-19-2002, 02:13 PM

I just looked at a M****n "Special Editions 2000" brochure, which includes two of their 'SW' (Smart Wood) series guitars. The entire inside back cover page is dedicated to background on their "Certified Wood Models", with backs and sides made of solid CHERRY... and includes a pic of the back of a dread made with cherry. I must say that the 650 that's the subject of this thread could easily be solid cherry, when its pic is compared to the brochure's pic! Also, I'm pretty sure that some of those ocean-going bird guitars (S*****l) are made with laminated cherry. So... it appears that cherry is considered a legitimate guitar tonewood by some of the "current players"!!

Gee... I, too, wonder if Taylor REALLY made any guitars from solid cherry, "way back when"!??

Old 03-19-2002, 02:15 PM

Well shoot, Tom, I may not have an official Taylor case after all. Mine doesn't have the Taylor logo or the heavy locking latch, and the plush is black. (Oh man, I'm getting really trivial now.... ) I'll try and post a picture this evening, assuming that no one else minds our ongoing comparisons.

BTW, that herringbone is muy cool, my friend!
Old 03-19-2002, 02:31 PM

I saw one of those Martins up close and personal about a year ago. I think it was essentially a D-16 with a satin finish throughout, and it was very nice. I can't remember specifics about the tone, but it struck me as a good, solid performer.

Seagull uses real laminated wild cherry on their S series guitars, and they're excellent guitars for the money. I suspect that wild cherry is used because it's plentiful and inexpensive, but the results are good nonetheless. These bodies work very well with the solid cedar tops.

I've also seen cherry used in many hammered dulcimers, folk harps, and mountain dulcimers. The cherry is usually relegated to structural members or, in the case of mountain dulcimers, low-end model soundboards, but it's a good, dependable, and (I think) plentiful wood that's actually quite pretty without any stain.
Old 03-19-2002, 04:46 PM

Tom I love that old case! JW
Old 03-19-2002, 06:55 PM

re:
>>I do know that Cherry wood is used in the manufacture of
>>pianos, so it does lend itself to being a "Tone wood". But as
>>far as guitars go, I don't know of any manufacturers that have
>>ever used this in their construction. Please enlighten me if you
>>know.

I have a Blue Lion guitar with cherry back and sides and a cedar top. It sound is not unlike koa. The cedar lends some warmth.

Blue Lion also makes mountain dulcimers. The are located in Santa Margarita near San Luis Oblspo in California. Bob Baker is the luthier and his wife Janita does awsome inlay work and is a world class dulcimer player.

Dusty
Old 03-19-2002, 07:00 PM

Hey JW! Yeah, the case is pretty neat looking, but it's nowhere near as nice as the newer, form-fitted cases when it comes to protecting the guitar... and we all know it's what goes INSIDE the case that's important!

Chris - I want to see that case... even if nobody else does! But I have to expect that Why Me was pretty close in saying, "I just know that there are lots of Taylor freaks out there like myself who like to see unusual stuff like this"!?

My viewpoint on my Taylors (and ALL of these nice Taylors that we're getting to see!) is pretty much the same as that on my place here in the Boonies... someone else put them "out there", and I'm just a caretaker along the way!

Back to the thread... kinda! I read a little deeper into what the M****n brochure said about those "Smart Wood" guitars... can you believe they use "Reclaimed Pulp Wood" (whatever that is!) for the tops AND for the internal top bracing?? Now I think THAT might be taking the "green" thing a bit far, but that's definitely fodder for another thread!!

So... who's up for bidding on a genuine, solid cherry(??!!) bodied 1983 650!?? Hah! Or not?

Old 03-19-2002, 09:48 PM

Dusty,
Thanks for the update on the use of Cherry in guitar making. I didn't know if it was stable enough to be used in the thicknesses required in guitar construction.

Tom,
Smart wood? Reclaimed pulp wood sounds like the stuff left over that isn't good enough to make a sheet of paper! HEY....maybe that way you can incorporate your "cheat sheet" music or set list into your guitar!

Bill B.

Last edited by b-squared; 03-19-2002 at 09:53 PM.
Old 03-20-2002, 12:26 AM

Okay, Tom, here are some pictures. You can see from the last one how poor the fit is. The guitar doesn't exactly move around in there, but this is far from the custom fit of Taylor-made cases.

Old 03-20-2002, 09:25 AM

Thanks for the case pics, Chris! I see what you mean about the fit... looks like an oversized dread would fit in there, if there is such a thing!! Does it hold the guitar "firmly" enough to keep the body from rotating, which would allow the headstock to move side-to-side and touch the sides of the case?? My case fits the GC body style, but is a bit wide through the waist (aren't we all!?) and a bit loose around the lower bout (not going there!)... the headstock CAN move side-to-side enough to touch the sides as the body rotates, which isn't too good IMO! Those custom fit cases that come with the guitars nowadays are hard to beat!!

On that 650... is your eMail contact pretty good at getting back to you? I have no intention of bidding on ANY guitars right now (unless maybe a 1996 or 1997 sitka-topped 714 comes up!), but like someone said in another thread... "inquiring minds want to know"... is it, or isn't it!? Solid cherry, that is!!

Hey, b-squared! "cheat sheet"?? "set list"?? Do folks actually use those things!? (Hah!!) I saw in another thread where someone "warped" the definition of "Reclaimed Pulp Wood" into "paper mache"... sounds good for getting autographs, to me!!

Old 03-20-2002, 10:20 AM

Funny you should mention an oversized dread, Tom -- that's exactly what I've always thought. The case defintely has a more more squared-off shape, and unfortunately, that leaves the upper bout free to move side to side. In addition, the guitar doesn't sit straight and the headstock angles toward the hinge side of the case. At first I wondered if the guitar's neck wasn't on straight, but on reflection, it seemed much more likely that the case was out of alignment. The treble tuners actually brush the inside of the case, but I don't think there's a real chance of damage unless I drop the case. A proper Taylor-made case would be a great upgrade (especially with the poodle plush) but somehow I keep finding other uses for the $150 or so it would cost, and that's assuming that anyone even had one for sale.

BTW, that third picture show some weird coloring or shadows in the guitar's top on the bass side. The second picture is a lot closer to reality, with just an obvious shadow from the case lid.

Also BTW, I don't have an actual contact at Taylor. I just dropped an email to [email protected] which usually turns up an answer, though it's not always quick.
Old 03-22-2002, 06:11 AM

Well, maybe inquiring minds will never know if that's real, solid cherry wood on the back and sides of that 650... unless maybe one of the more affluent TGF members wants to place a winning bid and report back to us!!??

Hey Chris (cp)... isn't this your case?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...item=853312626
Same "loose" fit on THAT 615... and the same nice wide lid holding strap and "hinge hiders"... and the same heavy hardware (but YOUR case's hardware is a lot shinier!! )

BTW... that case might be from 1985, but not the guitar... it's an '88 model!! Methinks the eBay listing's description is off a bit!!

Last edited by NdaBoonies; 03-22-2002 at 06:29 AM.
Old 03-22-2002, 09:51 AM

Nice 615 though. JW
Old 03-22-2002, 10:23 AM

So what you are you saying, JW? Is it that my 615 isn't nice?? Huh???? Just kidding, of course. Anyone can tell that mine is nicer!

Tom, that does look like my case, or very close to it. Since I bought my 615 in 1988 (used, obviously), that might just figure. The store originally set me up with a Harptone case (also a weak fit) but it was defective and they replaced it with the Taylor case.

You're right about that serial number being off. This guy is also mistaken about the signature; I think Bob stopped signing them personally before mine was built. Still, that's a pretty guitar, and it looks like it's been well kept. I'm really curious about the headstock veneer. In the first picture, it almost looks like stained maple or a very light mahogany, yet with a rosewood TRC.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification