The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-22-2016, 11:38 AM

On acoustic, you definitely want to stay away from tone-sucking pedals like compressors, distortion and modulation FX. Let the electric player wrestle with those. A tuner is definitely a must. Though you could save a few bucks and some board space and get a clip-on. This one is my favorite: http://www.amazon.com/Intellitouch-P.../dp/B002KDHBRU
A decent pre-amp will help your sound and signal strength to the PA as well. You don't mention if you are using one. ?
I use a DD-20 and a bit of Plate HOF verb through the FX loop on my LR Baggs Para DI. If nothing is being added at the PA, these really allow some good depth and interest to my sound-depending on the tune. I could't recommend the DD-20 more as the 5 VISIBLE preset locations are dead easy to pedal through and tweak (instead of menus) and are more than enough for any worship set.
If you go with the DD-20, a remote tempo tap switch is also recommended to free up the right DD-20 (tap) pedal to be used to step through presets. I also use an optical volume pedal for occasional swells.
Old 01-22-2016, 12:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairlight View Post
On acoustic, you definitely want to stay away from tone-sucking pedals like compressors,...
With respect, if strumming out rhythms, a little compression will smooth out the peaks and valleys of the tone. It really seem to balance things out. I agree it can have a limiting impact on single note dynamics but set conservatively, this can be avoided, while improving the tone heavier attacks and strumming.
Old 01-27-2016, 04:37 PM

Default Pedal flow

I bring the HOF and DD20 to any solo show to allow depth and rythmic pulse (via tap tempo) while also using the looper to repeat vs/chorus/melody/etc.

I'd say tuner > (boost or preamp) > delay > reverb > looping > passive DI box
Gets it done. Less is more in a full band application or just accompanying strumming duo/trio acts. Let's the vox and percussion shine on...

Good forum
Old 01-28-2016, 06:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggs5011 View Post
I'd say tuner > (boost or preamp) > delay > reverb > looping > passive DI box
Gets it done. Less is more in a full band application or just accompanying strumming duo/trio acts. Let's the vox and percussion shine on...

Good forum
The Fishman Tonedeq has pretty much the middle of your chain covered -

preamp /boost / modulation / delay or reverb / active DI.

If the reverb and delay were on separate buttons and it had a tuner IMHO it would be perfect.
Old 02-01-2016, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKW-HTX View Post
Hey everyone!

I would appreciate any thoughts on my list of pedals that I'm thinking of buying in the future.
I have very little experience with a pedal board, let alone using pedals with acoustic guitars so feel free to be blunt with me.

Here's my list so far:

Boss TU-3 (Tuner)
Ernie Ball VP Jr (Volume)
Crybaby Wah
Boss DD-20 giga (Digital Delay)
Boss BD-2 Blues
Boss RV-5 or TC HOF (Reverb)
EH Pitchfork?
TC Ditto Looper (already own)

I can't buy these all at once, what do ya'll think I should prioritize first?
are any of these a bad idea?
any other pedal suggestions?
am I missing anything that would be necessary?
would these be quality pedals for an electric pedal board as well?

I use a Taylor 114ce with a Fishman Loudbox Mini and I mostly play at church services.
My playing style is primarily rhythm at high speeds with slaps, but I do enjoy finger-picking and creating leads with my looper when I'm at home. I also enjoy ambient swells (if its possible to do decent ones on acoustic).

Thanks! and i'm sorry for the many questions! I'm fairly new to the electronics scene of guitars
Less is more to keep pure tone. I gig 3oo nights a year acoustic mostly duo/solo type. Tuner, delay and reverb provide a good pulse (I.e. Percussive meter in delay tempos) tap tempo works great. A clean Boost/ eq can pair well for getting on top of your looper if you use a looper. I use ---

BossTu-2 > mxr10band eq > Radial DI (passive) A/ balanced line direct to a balanced xlr channel on mixer >B/ Thru out unbalanced 1/4 > (stereo
Capable if you want wide ambiance to blend) TcDelay > TC HoFame Reverb > digi looper > stereo/ mono unbalanced 1/4

So one balanced DRY mix + 1 WET unbalanced line blended/panned to taste. It sounds like a lot, but only because I have a pedal board set up with lots of cables...but can cover any size venue and fill it with sonic pleasure with basically 3 pedals. Boost/DI are like hot sauce when neseccary,
Old 02-01-2016, 05:20 AM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turp View Post
The Fishman Tonedeq has pretty much the middle of your chain covered -

preamp /boost / modulation / delay or reverb / active DI.

If the reverb and delay were on separate buttons and it had a tuner IMHO it would be perfect.

I'm gonna check it out ASAP

Thanks!!
Old 02-01-2016, 05:27 AM

I deep my acoustic board pretty simple.

I run into an ABY box set so that I have 2 in 1 out. (Sometimes I play a classical or need to have another acoustic tuned differently).

Korg blackface tuner.
Boss AD3 (chorus, reverb, low/high EQ, feedback cancelling)
Boss DD3 delay
Then out to a DI box and to the sound board.

The only other pedal on my setup is an AirTurn that connects via bluetooth to my iPad. I use OnSong to store most of my music and the foot pedal changes pages when I tap on it.

That's pretty much it. Simple and doesn't confuse this old man.

Jeff
Old 02-01-2016, 05:53 AM

Anyone have tried Line 6 M9 with acoustic?
For reverb, delay.. Maybe tuner and some eq
Kenny Hill Player 640 (2017)(Rosewood/Spruce)
Yamaha NCX 700 (2010) (Mahogany/Sitka)
Guitalele Gretsch G9126 (2013) (Mahogany/Mahogany)

Genz Benz 150LT
Ultrasound/Dean Markley AG15

My Youtube Channel
Old 02-01-2016, 11:19 AM

I use to use a volume pedal and after getting a tuner I pulled the volume pedal off. To use the VP to set the volume on the fly wasn't effective and I ended up using it mostly to turn the volume off when plugging guitars in to out. The tuner pedal does that function. I have an EQ pedal with a boost on it, that serves the function of adding a little more volume when needed.

For acoustic tone I use HOF reverb, Digitech Multi Chorus, Boss DD7 delay pedal. For EQ, I use the MXR 10 band with the boost. I have a Ditto 2x Looper and for coloring I use the Boss Blues Driver 2. I also have a PADI on my board. I have the pedals set very sparingly. I use the BD2 to play leads over a loop and I have it mildly set for tone color and volume boost.
The Old Lady
Goldilocks
Flipper

"Sometimes I play a song I never heard before" Thelonious Monk
Old 02-01-2016, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otavio View Post
Anyone have tried Line 6 M9 with acoustic?
For reverb, delay.. Maybe tuner and some eq
Some of us like multipedals like the M9, some don't. At the moment I am in the multi-pedal camp.

I think discrete pedal boards look cooler, but the best boards generally have a small multi-purpose-pedal in them IMHO.
Zoom G3 pedal
Amps: THR-10 (small), DBR-10 (med), QSC-K10 (large)
Old 02-08-2016, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurth83 View Post
Some of us like multipedals like the M9, some don't. At the moment I am in the multi-pedal camp.

I think discrete pedal boards look cooler, but the best boards generally have a small multi-purpose-pedal in them IMHO.

Works well on verbs and delay. Great for compact acoustic modulation but at the cost of a little DIGITAL tone suck IMO if always on. Use an EFXloop or outboard feed if it's a reverb for a whole night type deal thru the mixer.
Old 02-15-2016, 08:39 PM

I use a TC Hall of Fame Reverb, a Boss OC3 Octaver (set to give the bottom three strings a double an octave lower when I want it), and MXR Micro Amp for a clean boost for solos.

I saw in earlier posts that you were going to drop the reverb. I'd say keep it - being able to make your sound a little bigger really can make a difference sometimes. If nothing else, you can use a really big church or cathedral kind of sound for a change of pace sometimes.
Old 02-16-2016, 04:12 PM
Charter Member

This along with the SA220 onboard reverb and EQ is all I need. For tuning I use a head stock clip on tuner out my cell phone app.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Old 02-17-2016, 02:49 PM

Skip all the hassle and get a TC Helicon Play Acoustic. and a Switch 3 With the new Update you can get: BodyRez, Chorus, Reverb and Delay. You can also save presets for different songs. Plus you have a looper.
Old 04-10-2016, 06:46 PM

I replied earlier to this thread, mentioning that I used a TC Electronic Hall of Fame reverb, a Boss OC 3 octaver and a MXR Micro Amp.

I have added one of the TC Flashback Mini delay pedals to my setup, and it's a nice addition to give some extra fullness to your tone. I don't use it all the time, but it's a nice change of pace for certain songs. Like you, I play a church gig every week - the delay is a nice change of pace when it fits the tune.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
acoustic/electric guitar, help!, pedalboard, pedalboard setup, pedals