The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-09-2002, 06:57 PM
Charter Member

Default Larrivee?? WOW!!

I checked out a small local store that carried Larrivee and Seagull and I am very impressed with the Larrivee dreadnought. I played a D-03-E I believe and it blew me away! Anyone else try one of the Larrivees? How bout' a 12er in the Larrivee dread?
Old 02-09-2002, 10:37 PM
guitar, amp fixer upper.

Getgo
I've got one of each and really love them. The 6 string dread sounds great !!!!! I mean great !!!! Great neck, I straightened the neck and lowered the action a bit, but overall super guitars. I really would like to buy 2 or 3 more Larri's, but I have 6 more Taylors on layaway right now. After I get these that'll give me 15 Taylors...so then on the Larri"s. By the way I'm not crazy I've just got terminal TAS !!! hehehehe I love it.
Ron
Old 02-10-2002, 08:34 AM
Charter Member

Been there Ron!! I have weeded my "herd" down to a 514ce and a big baby. I am looking for a 12 string after buying and trying too many Taylors and I think the Larrivee's might do it. I think I might have to get one of those dreads too!
Old 02-10-2002, 07:20 PM

Getgo:
In addition to 4 Taylors, I have a Larrivee D10 that I like a lot. It has a much different sound and feel than my Taylors - which is a nice thing. I love them all. The quality of wood and looks of Larrivees are second to none.

Cisco (Ron): Thanks for posting... 15 Taylors - I always show my wife those threads. She thinks that 4 Taylors is maybe 3 too many. Obviously, I don't agree.

Rodger
Old 02-12-2002, 08:29 PM

Looked over and Had someone play a D-09 today. Thats one great looking and sounding guitar. I thought it was in line with a 810 Taylor. Ithought the price was a bit high for larravee at 1500. Also saw and heard a DC-03R (no electronics!) and had a great sound but was priced(street price) with a 310 but it was rosewood and sounded great. Nice guitars! That D-09 really impressed me. Im going back to play it when the cast comes off next week. JW
Old 02-12-2002, 10:46 PM

Yes the Larrivee are a great guitar! My best friend (a full time musician) was in a guitar store a few months back, heard a Larrivee D05-12E (mahogany, gloss finish, 12 string with P/U) he called me in a panick "it's the best sounding 12 he's ever heard" in his 48 years, he said "you got to buy it" seing how he's a typicical broke musician and couldn't afford himself. I bought it over the phone, all I can say is WOW This ones got a sweet neck too....

Ian
Old 02-13-2002, 12:42 AM

That D-03R is a killer killer deal, IMO. I remember one time I was at a GC and had to tear myself away from one to keep from blowing the money (but I still sorta wish I bought one)

I prefer the wider necks on the higher models, although I'm not a big fan of the glossy finish.

Ken
Old 02-13-2002, 08:26 AM

I have an OM Lite that I love to sit on the sofa and mess around with. I asked a local shop to bring up from Tokyo an OM1 and an OM3, should be here later this week or early next. I would like another mahogany guitar that projects a little more than the Lite, which is a 7/8 size. Bigger than a parlor but smaller than a regular OM. Just my luck, there`s a sale going on at the shop... of a Japanese maker , ASTURIAS. Decisions decisions.
Old 02-13-2002, 07:38 PM
Charter Member

Well, The DV03-12 arrived today and I have mixed feelings. It is a dread 12 string with cutaway, mahogany b-s, spruce top and satin finish. $1000.00 and I don't know. The neck is a little funny, frets are kinda' sharp on the edges, the high e strings are fretting out, has a couple finish flaws and lotsa visible glue in the inside. There are some gaps here and there and the case is a little flimsy. It has a pretty decent sound but I can't seem to get past the detail stuff. I know that this is a mid-priced 12 string but I have had Takamines that were very solidly built and they had electronics. Maybe I am just "Taylor Spoiled" I have a 72 hour trial period and I think this ones goin back. I guess I will have to break down and order the 555CE without playing one and Pray that it is the one for me. SIGH.........................
Old 02-14-2002, 06:53 AM

I played both the om 01, and the om 03 today. Very disappointed on the sloppy finishing on the inside of the guitars. Made me wonder if they didn`t put them together too quickly. Maybe they didn`t take enough care with them. Perhaps I expected too much from the lower end models but I too couldn`t get past the details. I passed on both. I felt bad cause they had to bring both up from Tokyo but not bad enough to buy one and then worry about potential problems.
Old 02-16-2002, 02:56 PM

I really like Taylor guitars, but I picked up a little LV-05 Cedar top and its a fantastic little guitar. It won't stop me from adding a 700 Taylor down the road, but surely life wouldn't S**k, with only Larrivee's either.
Old 02-18-2002, 08:15 PM

I have to say ditto on the Larrivee D-03E. I've had mine for almost a year now and am really pleased with it. The sound is rich, full, resonant, deep transparent bass, bell-like tone that is balanced and piano-like in quality. The Fishman Prefix Plus pickup works great for playing with my church's praise band. It sounds very much acoustic plugged in.
I'm currently "baby-sitting" my friend's D-28 while he uses my Tak 12-string. While his D-28 has a darker tone, the bass is too muddy (old strings don't help it) and there is not much string separation as I get with my D-03. I never thought I'd say this but I actually prefer the sound of my $771.00 D-03E to his 1991 D-28.
Old 02-20-2002, 02:55 PM

I've been playing my D-03RE (rosewood) all morning. This guitar has phenomenal tone and playability. I tried 300 or more guitars and this one just had the most beautiful sound. I actually preferred the neck on a Taylor, but this sound hooked me.
Old 02-20-2002, 02:59 PM

I did have my guitar tech file and smooth the frets a ton, take down the saddle a hair. This and that. It's held up to the initial neck-tweak very, very well. Hasn't budged.
Old 03-05-2002, 08:42 AM

I'll get to play my first lefty Larrivee this weekend, an OM-03. The guy is wanting to sell so if I like it, I can join the Larrivee owner ranks too. I think I'm gonna like it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification