The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-26-2002, 07:56 PM

Question univox guitar

Hey i have a question for anyone out there. I own a univox guitar that my friend gave me a long time ago. Another friend of mine told me that the guitar was vintage and was worth some money. I really doubt it is but if any of you know anything about old univox guitars then please reply.
Old 03-26-2002, 09:11 PM

I have had a couple of those. If it's a mosrite copy...they go for as much as $160. Great feel to the neck, though too flimsy overall. Kind of cool guitar.
Old 03-26-2002, 10:10 PM

Wow, that brings back memories! Do you mean acoustic or electric? My first electric guitar was a Univox, when I was probably 12-13 years old. We were visiting relatives in Florida for Christmas, and playing hide and seek, found this guitar in my cousin's closet. Since she played, I assumed it was hers. Plunked on it a little, then carefully put it back so she wouldn't beat me up. On Christmas morning, my parents presented it to me! They had been hiding it there.

I was somewhat disappointed. They didn't know anything about guitars, were just trying to do something special. Of course, being pubescent, I wanted a Strat or something cool like that. This 'Vox was a sunburst hollow-body electric, maybe "cool" as in "cat, can you dig the jazz", but not "cool" as in "wow, man, you ROCK! Let's make out!"

A few years later, I traded it toward a used '72 Rickenbacker 360.

I really don't recall much about the guitar; hey, I was 12 and was probably halfway through Mel Bay Book 3 or something! And don't recall seeing any others since then. Sorry I couldn't be useful, but thanks for the nostalgia!
If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. Romans 12:18
Old 03-27-2002, 12:40 AM

haha no problem. It was my first guitar too, except mine was an acoustic. It wasn't too bad for first guitar (many worse out there) plus i got it for free! can't beat that. It sounded like crap when i got it, but when I put some elixers on it, it almost sounded good. Mine is the only univox that i've ever seen that's acoustic. All the other ones on ebay and stuff are electric
Old 03-27-2002, 05:33 AM

I still own several Univox Les Paul copies. They are quite playable nice looking examples. One of mine is the silver and black and the other is cherry burst. A univox was one of my very first electrics. I couldnt go Les paul so i bought one of these(on credit) for 179.00. They havent lost any value, hehe! never seen a Univox acoustic. JW
Old 03-27-2002, 06:06 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Back in about 1974 a friend and bandmate let me borrow his Univox LP (Black LP Custom knock-off) for about six months to use for slide. I remember this guitar as a nice guitar. It really roared as a slide instrument, with the action up high. I hear they are "collectibles".

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 03-27-2002, 01:05 PM

haha I guess i'm just bringing up old memories for eveyrone... it seems everyone started with an old univox, but mines the only acoustic one..
Old 03-27-2002, 03:06 PM

I bought a new Univox back in 1967 for $90.00 with my summer job money. It was a red and black Gibson es335 copy which I sold about 15 years ago for about $75.00. I sold it because one of the volume knobs didn't work and I was clueless and did not realize that it could be fixed.

It's funny because I had recently been shown a picture of myself playing the Univox with a band back in my high school days and have been trying to find one like it on E-Bay. I got outbid on one this morning. It went for $265.00.

Rich
Old 03-27-2002, 05:41 PM

Oh, by the way, you can read a history and see pictures of Univox guitars at
www.univoxguitars.org
Old 03-27-2002, 05:43 PM

That should be: http://www.univoxguitars.org
Old 03-27-2002, 05:49 PM

Sorry about that - it should be

http://www.univox.org

Hope that's right. If not, I'll give up.
Old 03-27-2002, 06:19 PM

Wow, I think I found it. It's been about 25 years, so I'm not sure, but I think I had the "Pro"

http://www.univox.org/pics/guitars/pro2.jpg

Thanks for the link!
If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. Romans 12:18
Old 03-27-2002, 08:39 PM

Both of mine a the les Paul copy (deluxe) and its really surprizing how good these old guitars play. Ive probably owed 75 over the years because I collect les Paul copies. If I find one nicer than what I have I buy it a sell one of the other two. The cherry burst I have looks and plays like new, the silve and black deluxe is rare and in 8.5(very good) and plays as well. My opinion is the play better than a new les Paul studio. I think they are groovy! JW

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification