The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-25-2002, 01:00 PM

Smile Macassar ebony's tone coloration?

Does anyone own a guitar made with Macassar ebony? Can you help me by describing the overall tone charachter of a guitar whose back and sides are made with this wood? How does it compare with any of the other more commonly used woods like Brazilian rosewood for example? It sure looks good, but does it sound good? Goodall makes some guitars with this wood, the ones I have seen have an Adirondack spruce top...has anyone bought or played one these beautiful guitars? (Check out the BuffaloBros web site they have a couple ECJ's for sale.) Thanks.
Old 03-25-2002, 01:08 PM

I have one currently ... had two others I parted with.

Current one I have is a Goodall ECJ with Adirondack top. Compared to Brazilian, it has less bottom end and resonance ... stronger on the fundamentals (not as many overtones). The Adirondack top seems to amplify the sound.

The ones I parted with were a Goodall ECJ with Adirondack top (I liked this guitar so much that I ordered the one I have now with the options I really wanted) and a Goodall Parlour with Engelmann top. The Parlour had similar characteristics as the ECJ, but smaller sound with more overtones which, in my opinion, muddied things up.
Old 03-25-2002, 02:05 PM

i played a goodall parlor guitar w/madagascar rosewood and italian spruce top that had to be the most responsive, most enjoyable and awe-inspiring guitar i have ever played!!! unfortunately the price was not even within sight of what's possible
Old 03-25-2002, 03:25 PM

Smile

Budiesorg, thanks for your input. Can you tell me what you ordered on your custom Goodall ECJ and why? Also, how did you decide on the CJ size?
Old 03-25-2002, 05:02 PM

Well, you can see it at http://stringsnthings.org/hsguitar/ECJ1.html. As to why? Because that's the way I wanted it to look. I like his CJ size ... played quite a few of them ...
Old 03-26-2002, 07:26 AM

Buddiesorg,

That is a beautiful CJ. I love the Dove inlays on the 5th, 9th and 15th. Are there position markers on the upper side of the neck? And if so, are they in the traditional spots starting at the third fret?

Without getting into the specifics, Is taking off the usual diamond markers at the 3rd,7th, 12th an extra cost or is it cheaper? Also, how about the doves on the bridge?

I would like to order one someday with the doves at 5,9 and 15 with no diamonds and no doves on the bridge, I'm trying to see if that is less expensive than the full inlay.

Thanks for the info,

Erm
Old 03-26-2002, 07:47 AM

Budiesorg. Wow! Looks great! Thanks for posting the pictures.
Old 03-26-2002, 08:47 AM

Yes, there are the normal position markers in the traditional spots.

As to prices on the different inlays, I'm not sure if there is a price difference with taking off the diamond inlays, dove fretboard inlay should add under $250 (I don't have the current price list). I've seen guitars with both the doves and diamonds, though, and really don't like the mix at all (I don't know if they add in a cost for keeping the diamonds). The dove inlay on the bridge is extra (under $200) ... I like adding them there on the old style bridge best since it's larger.

I just had a Brazilian/Adirondack 14-fret Parlour done with just a large dove at the 9th. I haven't taken pictures of it yet. I thought having the three doves was overdoing it on such a small guitar (but I didn't want just a tiny dove), and I think it does look classy without it. Also didn't put an abalone edge border on it as I thought that would be a bit much on such a small guitar. The rest of the appointments are my "standard" options.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification