The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 03-19-2018, 09:38 AM
Charter Member

Default Mini review : Minwax water-based wipe-on poly

In this thread, I was unhappy with StewMac's housebrand of water-based wipe-on poly.

Now, obviously StewMac private labels a product. I recently tried Minwax's water-based wipe-on poly.

After using these products one-after-another, I think these might be related products (similar appearance, same smell, same instructions).

One thing I noticed was that the StewMac Colortone version was a bit "thinner" and didn't seem to have as much solids in it.

I had a terrible time with theirs covering grain-filled mahogany, even with many coats.

The Minwax version I just used did a very good job on a maple piece I am doing. Instead of 3 coats like they recommended, I put 6 coats, but I wiped them back after each coat so each was thinner, whereas they say to put 3 liberal coats on.

A few differences:
  • I used the Minwax versus the Colortone
  • This one "felt" slightly thicker (perhaps more solids in it?)
  • I was using satin instead of gloss
  • I was covering maple instead of (grain-filled) mahogany

So, obviously not an apples-to-apples comparison, but the results and my experience were dramatically different. I know the mahogany is tough to cover but I had a perfectly smoothed grain-fill on there so it was not the open pores of the mahogany giving me trouble. I know maple is easier to coat but I couldn't sand any of the other stuff without burning through everything (including my stained wood.)

While applying this with the exact same lint free shop towels, in the exact same manner using the exact same gloves, I noticed a striking difference:

The Minwax left a noticeable white coating on my gloves. This was the poly coating making a layer on the gloves. The Colortone did not do this - I noticed nothing on the gloves, suggesting to me it was lacking in the coating poly material.

So, I found this to be a very good top coat material. It was incredibly easy to apply. Had absolutely no bad smell. The end results (of the satin version on maple) was excellent.

I'm not sure how applicable this coating would be on an acoustic but for a solidbody electric I would use this stuff as my new first choice.

I could not pick this up in Lowes or Home Depot (both had it online). Amazon had it with faster delivery and at a lower price.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg poly.jpg (68.5 KB, 138 views)

000-15 / GC7 / GA3-12 / SB2-C / SB2-Cp / AVC-11MHx / AC-240
Old 03-19-2018, 10:05 AM

The additive used to make it a satin probably had something to do with the differences in thickness (and whiteness on your gloves). I know when I add the satin paste to nitro to make a satin nitro it thickens it slightly. Try the satin on the mahogany.
Old 03-19-2018, 10:44 AM

Default Pour n wipe

I like this wipe on poly.

http://mohawk-finishing.com/catalog_...asp?ictNbr=215

I order a gallon at a time along with 8, 1 pint empty cans.

I break it down into the pint cans as soon as it arrives, otherwise it will harden in the gallon fairly quickly as oxygen gets to it.

I fill the pint cans right to the top so there is no air getting to the poly.

Satin finish that will become more glossy with many coats.

Covers well over shellac seal coat.

"If you try to play like someone else, Who will play like you". Quote from Johnny Gimble

The only musician I have to impress today is the musician I was yesterday.

No tubes, No capos, No Problems.
Old 03-19-2018, 11:28 AM

I've used Minwax "solvent-based" (non-water-based) wipe-on poly satin for some years on furniture. It is an excellent finish with good build and durability. It is easy to apply with a rag/cloth and difficult to screw-up. It doesn't smell great, but is a good, easy, inexpensive finish. Clean-up is mostly to dispose of the rags properly.

I wasn't aware they had a water-based version now. I'll give it a try on some future project.
Old 03-19-2018, 12:32 PM

yep they do have a wb version. I can find it at HD in CA. have used it on some furniture and it's super easy to apply. durable as expected from a wb wipe on. i have a person who wants it on a guitar but i have some questions about repair/recoating down the road. i'll have to play with it a little bit first.
Old 03-22-2018, 08:48 PM

I've used the solvent-based Min-wax wipe on satin poly for many, many instruments and recommend it to others.

I haven't tried the water-based Min-wax, but I've used some other water-based brands for furniture projects in the past and regretted it.

I'll stick with the stuff that I know works for me.
Old 03-22-2018, 10:22 PM

The Mixwax wins Fine Woodworking’s easy finish of choice award almost every year. It’s great stuff - I’ve used it for all kinds of things, including finishing electrics from scratch.
Old 03-23-2018, 06:59 PM

Do you sand and buff afterwards or just use as dried?
Old 03-23-2018, 07:29 PM
Charter Member

I find the instructions insufficient - they say sand between coats then buff the final coat for gloss or leave as-is for satin.

Bu I found the coats too thin and sanding burned through them.

So, I use 2-3 coats then sand with 320 or 400 grit and then repeat.

After 2-3 rounds of this I then put a final coat on.

000-15 / GC7 / GA3-12 / SB2-C / SB2-Cp / AVC-11MHx / AC-240

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair