The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-19-2013, 09:25 AM

Default Ever bought a second guitar so you don't have to retune?

For the most part everything I've been learning and playing has been in alternate tunings; mostly open-G (Taro Patch) or some close "variation" (Dropped C; G Double Slack). Lately I've wanted to start learning some blues, of course most at my level is in standard tuning. I've heard tuning back and forth too much can be bad for strings...and, OK, I'm a little impatitent and find it to be an annoyance.

I'm loving my OM-15M, but have still been thinking of a second good guitar, maybe mahogany with spruce top (thinking maybe Eastman) or even rosewood b/s (OM-35 is on the short list if I go that way). It would likely remain in standard tuning.

Have you ever gone this route with similar reasons? How did it work out...any regrets? Any suggestions or considerations?

Thanks
Old 04-19-2013, 09:29 AM
Charter Member

I keep one of my guitars in DADGAD all the time, the others in standard tuning. This works okay for me... It saves a little time and retuning tends to shorten string life somewhat.

Some people use multiple tunings to justify additional guitars. Some people just have more than one for whatever reasons that make sense to them. I suppose that has been my situation...

- Glenn
Old 04-19-2013, 09:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBJones View Post
...Have you ever gone this route with similar reasons? How did it work out...any regrets? Any suggestions or considerations?
HI MrB...

Didn't buy a second one for that reason, but I sure do put one of my guitars in an alternate tuning when learning/practicing alternate tuning and leave it.

This saves me time and strings...

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 04-19-2013, 09:45 AM

I like tuning.. It's part of the fun with altered tunings.

My YouTube

Facebook

"Only by becoming acquainted with your own self,
can you gain the composure to write original music"

Michael Hedges ♫
Old 04-19-2013, 09:47 AM

Default 2nd, 3rd and 4th

You bet I did, that was one of the purposes for not spending a lot of money, buying older beaters, reahabbing and setting them up, sometimes radically.

Now I need to find a Chromatic Tuner that is set up for these alternate tunings instead of interpolating my Snarks.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:50 AM

Okay, it's not WHY I bought multiple guitars (that's another whole issue) but it's been a real nice benefit for someone who likes different tunings. My Taylor is in either standard or Drop-D, the Guild is in DAEF#AD, and my Washburn is in CGDGCD. And those tunings do change from time to time. Some guitars sound better in certain tunings than the others.

To say it makes playing in alternate tunings a lot easier would be a serious understatement. People have bought multiple or additional guitars for reasons that make a whole lot less sense than this one.

If you're looking for someone to tell you NOT to buy an additional guitar.... you've probably come to the wrong place.

2017 Breedlove Oregon Concerto E
2016 Breedlove Oregon Concert Rogue
1994 Guild DV72
1994 Guild D65S
2011 Taylor GC8
1995 Washburn EA20 "Festival Series"
Old 04-19-2013, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom in Vegas View Post
If you're looking for someone to tell you NOT to buy an additional guitar.... you've probably come to the wrong place.
Tom in Vegas is right about that!
Old 04-19-2013, 10:19 AM
Charter Member

Default Gas

This is the source of my current GAS - I hate retuning and I want a guitar I can pick up and practice a song in alternate tuning.

000-15 / GC7 / GA3-12 / SB2-C / SB2-Cp / AVC-11MHx / AC-240
Old 04-19-2013, 10:25 AM

Depends on the tuning. I think DADGAD benefits from a string set that beefs up the detuned strings. For something like open D or open E, I think most strings still sound fine.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:28 AM

IF you get a much better guitar and start playing it in standard tuning, you might find you don't want to go back to the other... That's the only possible downside I can think of.

Old 04-19-2013, 10:42 AM

I like to use variety of tunings, used to own four or five extra guitars, keeping them in various tunings. Got tired of caring for all these instruments, space constraints etc. Started cleaning the house and am still at it. When the dust settles I plan on having main steel string six, twelve string and a resonator for blues/slide.
I have settled on medium gauge strings on my six strings, they do help when I drop to open C, or anywhere between there and standard tuning.

I agree with what JSeth said in one of the other threads, do more with less, learn the instrument that you have, see what it is all capable of.
Sure strings wear out fast being tuned, detuned all of the time, but there is a reason guitars has tuning machines ...

My vote is keep what you have, have fun playing, even with pesky tuning/retuning.

As an evil advocate however, maybe a single cone wood body resonator
Old 04-19-2013, 01:08 PM

It wouldnt occur yo me to do that Mr J, I thought thats what machine heads were for.
I can play a forty minuet set on one guitar going through up to half a dozen tunings with a bit of banter between tunes - no one notices - particularly me.
Old 04-19-2013, 04:33 PM

At any given moment, at least 3 of my guitars are tuned differently.

1: standard
2: open G
3: open C
4: some kind of Nick Drake tuning

If I had more, I'm sure it would be in an alternate tuning too. Much easier this way, me thinks.
A few Telecasters
Old 04-19-2013, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBJones View Post
Ever bought a second guitar so you don't have to retune?
Nope.

But have bought more than one guitar and tend to leave them in different tunings.

Don't worry a bit about the strings if/when you retune. You are wearing them out every time you hit one!

Enjoy playing :-)

*everything* is a tone control
Old 04-19-2013, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donh View Post
Nope.

But have bought more than one guitar and tend to leave them in different tunings.

Don't worry a bit about the strings if/when you retune. You are wearing them out every time you hit one!

Enjoy playing :-)
Same with me, Don.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion