The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-08-2010, 01:37 PM

Default Ovation Gtrs

Altho I have many gtrs of other brands and like them all, I do have 5 Ovations- 2 Classicals, 1 Pinnacle, 1 Legend, and 1 Celebrity Deluxe. I have used them all at different times in my musical career. I rotate my gtrs just cause I like to hear them and remind myself why I got them in the first place. I used my 1869 S/Shallow Ovation Legend on the cruise ship I played on the contract before last (last year). I use D'Addario Chrome flat wounds (electric strings) on it. It plays well and feels good. Amped sound is very good.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john bange View Post
...the rest of the industry caught and passed them.
Actually, I think the OP-Pro Studio in some of the newer Ovations holds its own against all but the most expensive pre-amps out there. (How "Ovation" can you get?) My opinion of course, YMMV.

MY OVATIONS
Spruce: Patriot #76, 1768-7LTD, 1122, 6774, 1779 USA, 1657-Adi
Redwood: 2001-X, 1537-X, 1713-X, FD14-X, Dan Savage 5743-X
Koa: 2078LXF, 1768-X, 1997-X
12-string: 1755, 1615-X Walnut
Exotic tops: 1768-XWF (Bubinga), 1987-M (Mahogany), Adamas 1681-X (Q. Maple)
Others: MM-68-7LTD Mandolin, MM-868-X Mandocello
Old 02-08-2010, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydave View Post
Not for an acoustic. Depending on the model, they can work fine or less so as an electric.

You OBVIOUSLY have not played many USA Ovation or Adamas guitars.

... oh yeah? ... and my dad can beat up your dad!

and PATCH ... You're right about the OpPro Studio. Nothing can touch it in its price range.

2008 Collector's Blk Adamas I Cutwy
1581-8 Blue Burst Adamas II Cutwy
1537 Nat Sitka Spruce Elite
1768C Nat. Cedar Elite Cutwy
2007 Bearclaw Spruce Collector's
2009 KOA Collector's
1619-1 Custom Legend in Sunburst
6773LX Country Artist
Magnum 3 Bass Greyburst
1271 Sunburst Viper

Last edited by bvince; 02-08-2010 at 03:45 PM.
Old 02-08-2010, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchmcg View Post
Actually, I think the OP-Pro Studio in some of the newer Ovations holds its own against all but the most expensive pre-amps out there. (How "Ovation" can you get?) My opinion of course, YMMV.
Absolutely. I've just nabbed one of the new limited edition 2078LE Adirondack Elites, which has the OP-Pro Studio. It sounds amazing.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:50 PM

You Lucky Dawg!

2008 Collector's Blk Adamas I Cutwy
1581-8 Blue Burst Adamas II Cutwy
1537 Nat Sitka Spruce Elite
1768C Nat. Cedar Elite Cutwy
2007 Bearclaw Spruce Collector's
2009 KOA Collector's
1619-1 Custom Legend in Sunburst
6773LX Country Artist
Magnum 3 Bass Greyburst
1271 Sunburst Viper
Old 02-17-2010, 04:15 PM

Not all Ovations are okay. Especially the plain acoustic sound is not always convincing. There are some great ones though, like my 1997 Collectors Edition. It's a parlor, but in pure acoustic volume it blows away my two dreads (Simon & Patrick and Bluerigde). But the Ovation I own is a bit of a higher priced one. Very beautiful well balanced tone, great for pickin'. Plugged in, it's absolutely stunning!
Norman B20-6
Seagull S12
Old 02-17-2010, 04:47 PM

I lucked out with an Ovation once... it sounded sooo good unplugged and just as good plugged in with the OP preamp, a couple of my friends could believe it was an Ovation....then the bridge popped off... fixed under warranty... but sounded like crap when I got it back (figures)... sigh... sold it.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 02-17-2010, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvince View Post
You Lucky Dawg!
I've just noticed - you have a pretty handsome arsenal there! I only have this one Ovation, but I can understand how someone might want to own a few.
Old 02-17-2010, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrporter View Post
I bought an Ovation and generally liked its tone and playability, but the found the neck too narrow.
I'm in the same boat. My wife has an Ovation 12 string. the neck is too narrow for my taste and has too tight a radius. Sounds fine.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:21 PM

I purchased my first Ovation, an Elite 1778T back in December and I think it sounds great through an amp as well as unplugged. I love the feel of the neck and find it very easy to play.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:24 AM

My 12 string 1751 Balladeer plays easier than most all wood 6 string acoustics... and it just rings and rings unplugged. Plugged in... even better.

My Elite-T 1868T plays like my electrics and sounds good unplugged. It came with an OP-Pro reamp and sounded greated when plugged in. I replaced the the OP-Pro with a OP-Pro Studio ans WOW... what a difference. The Pro preamp had a warm full sound with good range. The Studio preamp really made the tone much more lively. The built in compressor and exciter just add to the whole package.
Fender: '69 Mustang Competition; '91 Stratocaster Plus; '11 Telecaster Standard
Gibson: '11 Les Paul Studio Deluxe 60s
Epiphone: '11 ES 339 Pro
PRS: '07 CE22; '03 Santana SE; '12 Tremonti SE
Bradley: '77 Les Paul Custom
Squier: '99 Precision Bass
Old 02-18-2010, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auriemma View Post
My 12 string 1751 Balladeer plays easier than most all wood 6 string acoustics... and it just rings and rings unplugged. Plugged in... even better.

My Elite-T 1868T plays like my electrics and sounds good unplugged. It came with an OP-Pro reamp and sounded greated when plugged in. I replaced the the OP-Pro with a OP-Pro Studio ans WOW... what a difference. The Pro preamp had a warm full sound with good range. The Studio preamp really made the tone much more lively. The built in compressor and exciter just add to the whole package.
Yes, my choice of the Elite 2078 was motivated principally by its performance plugged in; it has the OP-Pro Studio, too. I looked at a T5 and a few Takamines before going for the Ovation. These other guitars also seem to shine plugged in, but the T5 feels too much like an electric and as acoustics, I think there is something unique about the Ovation design which gave it the edge for me. An added advantage is, as someone else has mentioned, the neck and playability, which mean that I can play stuff on this with relative ease that is more difficult on my other acoustics. I'm not sure, but an Ovation Classic may be out somewhere on the horizon ...
Old 02-23-2010, 10:34 AM

chrisguitar, The Applause and Celebrity models are entry level guitars and are made in Asia. They are good for the price. As you go up in price, such as; Standard Elite, Elite, Custom Elite, the materials and quality goes up. The bread and butter of the industry are entry level guitars. There in lies the problem. I live in Houston and have yet to see a US made Ovation in a music store here. I have a Custom Legend that I bought new in New York in 1981. I love the feel and sound. The projection, tone and balance of this little guitar rival that of expensive dreadnaughts I have tried. You really need to get your hands on an Adamas or a US made Ovation, and make an unbiased comparison. You’ll find that you get a lot of guitar for the money. The shallow bowl models don’t have near the projection as the mid and deep bowls. I don’t play amplified and prefer the deep bowl. Check out the Adamas, Ovation and OvationFanClub sites.

Cheers,
Daniel

Last edited by leapin10; 02-23-2010 at 10:50 AM.
Old 02-23-2010, 04:09 PM

Like most people said, the plugged-in sound is great! I've only played the Asian variety (celebrity, applause) and to me the unplugged sound is just ok, most are thin sounding to me but I would probably use one for its plugged in sound anyway.

in the 90's, when I started learning playing the guitar, you had to have an "Ovation", ie. either a real one or a copy. Ovations were pretty much "high-end" in a 3rd world country like PHilippines where I live. so every guitar player i know in the neighborhood or school had a bowl-backed guitar. the standard dreads and concerts were practically obsolete and out of fashion here. i havent been following trends but in 2000's everything went back to the traditional looking guitars and today Ovations on display are usually 50% off whole year round.

That said, I have been gassing for that Koa-top Ovation thats been hanging on the wall forever in one of my favorite music stores. cant remember the model but I think its a Celebrity with the epaulets on the upper bout bass side only. very very handsome. i dont want to even try playing it. I just might like it.

Taylor 114ce
Epiphone AJ220SCE
Epiphone IB64 Texan FT-79
Ibanez Artwood AW15
Ibanez AEG10NII
Ovation CC44-4q

Takamine EG440C STRQ (gone)
Ibanez Artcore AG75 (gone)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion