The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-18-2018, 07:39 PM

Default New Halcyon!

Hello all, this is my first post on the forum. I found this site while researching acoustic guitars recently. Been playing acoustics and electrics for 25+ years, and figured it was finally time for a really good acoustic. I was wishing for a Canadian handmade guitar, but was prepared for disappointment due to the high cost I was expecting.

The name Halcyon caught my attention. I saw the pictures, read every bit of info I could find online, heard the sound clips, and every review I could find was extremely positive. I read about the builders Ed Bond and Ryan Jones and I was very impressed.

A handmade guitar built in Canada by a highly skilled luthier at this price Point?! The only drawback would be having to wait for it to be built.

Last week I called my favourite luthier/boutique guitar shop which is a three hour drive away to get some advice, and see what was in stock. I asked if they had any Halcyons (they are a dealer), and yes! One in stock. Is it a dreadnought? YES! What are the chances they had exactly what I was looking for?! I asked the sales guy (who is the apprentice luthier and a hell of a guitar player) what he thought, and said he thought I'd love it. I took the gamble and asked them to hold it for me until I could get there in a week.

Finally got to the shop yesterday and was able to see and play it. I played 7 or 8 other very high quality guitars as well, for comparison and see what felt right. I can honestly say the Halcyon was my first choice.

It's a dreadnought, lutz top, walnut back and sides, and its gorgeous. I really love the simplicity, yet impeccable craftsmanship in this guitar. It's perfect. Sorry I can't get pics up at this time.

The sound is unreal. So responsive, it's sparkly yet warm, perfectly tonally balanced, the intonation is brilliant up and down the neck. I was really impressed with the sustain and volume projection without being overly boomy, all while being light as a feather. I could not be happier with my new guitar.

Anybody labouring over the decision to have Ed build them a guitar- do it, you won't be disappointed!
Old 02-18-2018, 07:55 PM

Congratulations! They are great guitars.
Old 02-18-2018, 07:58 PM
Charter Member

Congratulations on the new Halcyon and welcome to the AGF!

Now, about those pictures of said guitar....
Old 02-18-2018, 10:00 PM

Is that the one from Saskatchewan?
Old 02-18-2018, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedwagon View Post
Congratulations! They are great guitars.
Thanks speedwagon!
Old 02-18-2018, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Growler View Post
Congratulations on the new Halcyon and welcome to the AGF!

Now, about those pictures of said guitar....
Thanks Growler, and I will see about getting some pics up tomorrow.
Old 02-18-2018, 11:20 PM
Charter Member

Congrats! A video would be nice too. There's so little out there available on Ed and Ryan's guitars.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 02-18-2018, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon/Tinker View Post
Is that the one from Saskatchewan?
It sure is. The folks at Sawchyn are always great, and now you’re going to have to build them a couple more haha! Like I said in my original post, I’m very impressed, and proud to own one of your guitars. I’m also lucky that my wife BOUGHT IT FOR ME! Then we went to the Big Wreck show. Yeah, it was a pretty fantastic weekend I’d say.
Old 02-18-2018, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Congrats! A video would be nice too. There's so little out there available on Ed and Ryan's guitars.
Thanks TB, and I agree there are not enough Halcyon pics and vids out there. I would like to add both once I am able.
Old 02-18-2018, 11:54 PM

I do have a replacement in the works for them presently, so that’s good timing.

I also have a pile of high res vids/soundclips that need posting at some point.

I’m jealous that you saw Big Wreck. I’m really hoping cash comes together in time for the Commodore in my town. Ian is one of the very few I’d give a guitar to just so that I’d know they had one.

I don’t know if you’ve seen them, but O’Briens Music in St. John’s NFL, a dealer, has posted some great vids of some really amazing players, as has Dolphin Guitars in Japan...
Old 02-19-2018, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon/Tinker View Post
I do have a replacement in the works for them presently, so that’s good timing.

I also have a pile of high res vids/soundclips that need posting at some point.

I’m jealous that you saw Big Wreck. I’m really hoping cash comes together in time for the Commodore in my town. Ian is one of the very few I’d give a guitar to just so that I’d know they had one.

I don’t know if you’ve seen them, but O’Briens Music in St. John’s NFL, a dealer, has posted some great vids of some really amazing players, as has Dolphin Guitars in Japan...
How long until you ship the new one out? What's the wait time for ordering a new one? I think at least one of my guitar friends wants a Halcyon now.

Yes I did see all those videos when I was scouring the internet.

As far as Big Wreck, I hope you are able to catch them at the Commodore. it was a really good show, especially being the 20th anniversary of ILMO. They played the entire album, Ian's guitar work was world class and mind boggling as usual. He would definitely be the perfect choice to give a guitar to, I hope you are able to!
Old 02-19-2018, 11:15 AM

Congratulations and welcome to the Acoustic Guitar Forum. Finding that particular guitar was like winning the lottery. Enjoy it!
Old 02-19-2018, 11:49 AM

New one ships out end of the month, new orders near a year...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion