The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-18-2018, 02:07 PM

Default Options for a broken neck

Back a while ago I was so unlucky that my D-28 was knocked over and the headstock snapped from the neck. I just recently got it glued together again so it's functional, but my tech and luthier can't guarantee that it will hold forever, and since the wood cracked and snapped in a pretty bad angle it's also fairly visible.

So, right now I'm looking into getting a replacement neck. I initially examined the option of getting it shipped from Denmark where I live to the US for a repair, however that would land me well over $2000 with repairs and shipping and most likely also a lot of wait time.

I really like this instrument and I did get a substantial amount in insurance, enough to get a new one, but I'm not really interested in that. I like this one. Is it possible to buy, relatively, affordable necks that fit the specification of this guitar somewhere? It doesn't have to have a logo stamped into the headstock or anything. I don't really care about that. What kind of options do you think I have here?
Old 02-18-2018, 02:11 PM

You're lucky it's a D-28. StewMac has excellent D-28 blanks, as does LMI. And there are plenty of luthiers over there (Pers comes to mind) than can make you a perfect replacement neck (and use your existing faceplate for the repair).
Old 02-18-2018, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOCS View Post
Back a while ago I was so unlucky that my D-28 was knocked over and the headstock snapped from the neck. I just recently got it glued together again so it's functional, but my tech and luthier can't guarantee that it will hold forever, and since the wood cracked and snapped in a pretty bad angle it's also fairly visible.

So, right now I'm looking into getting a replacement neck. I initially examined the option of getting it shipped from Denmark where I live to the US for a repair, however that would land me well over $2000 with repairs and shipping and most likely also a lot of wait time.

I really like this instrument and I did get a substantial amount in insurance, enough to get a new one, but I'm not really interested in that. I like this one. Is it possible to buy, relatively, affordable necks that fit the specification of this guitar somewhere? It doesn't have to have a logo stamped into the headstock or anything. I don't really care about that. What kind of options do you think I have here?

http://www.stewmac.com/Materials_and...tar_Necks.html

http://www.lmii.com/products/mostly-...s/carved-necks

Just not sure if you can marry the dovetails

You might try contacting Martin to see if they will sell you a neck
Old 02-18-2018, 02:16 PM

You are essentially looking at doing a neck reset, which involves removing the neck, shimming it to change the angle, and reattaching it. You will just be putting a different neck on. Look for an experienced luthier who can do that.
Old 02-18-2018, 02:23 PM
Guest 1928

There are ways to reinforce a broken headstock, as well as making the repair in the first place. Since it's already repaired you're mostly stuck with the quality of that repair. It may be fine. A finished replacement neck from Martin is going to be more than $1,000, plus the work to install it. An aftermarket neck will work too as long as you have a repairman/builder who can execute the work. My first, and cheapest, impulse to save the original neck and reinforce the break if necessary. Replacing the neck is no small undertaking.
Old 02-18-2018, 02:27 PM
Charter Member

In my experience, a correctly reglued headstocks can last for the life of the instrument. You may be jumping the gun wanting a new neck.

If you like the sound of the guitar now, there's no guaranty it will sound the same w/ a new neck and a neck rest.

W/ a Stew Mac neck you've devalued the guitar beyond the broken headstock issue. Points to ponder.

A photo of the current condition would be helpful.
Old 02-18-2018, 02:30 PM
Charter Member

Hi, I'd just like to share two experiences of mine:

In 1975 I bought a '73 D35 that had been sold new /damaged /repaired with a typical "airport" fracture.

I played that guitar until I sold it to a friend in '96. He tended to leave it in a damp cupboard in his ancient house and the join loosened in about 2006.
I took him to my preferred luthier who cleaned and re-glued the break. It is played daily (he does a lot of gigs) and it is still fine.

In 1999 I bought a new Collings 12 fret dread. About six weeks after it fell (or was it pushed?) of a stage and the slotted headstock was shattered.

I took to a luthier who repaired it. You can still see the scars on close inspection but - well I was playing it today - nearly twenty years on.

Just a thought.
Old 02-18-2018, 02:54 PM

Smile

Minimize movement and get to hospital
Old 02-18-2018, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenT View Post
In my experience, a correctly reglued headstocks can last for the life of the instrument. You may be jumping the gun wanting a new neck.

If you like the sound of the guitar now, there's no guaranty it will sound the same w/ a new neck and a neck rest.

W/ a Stew Mac neck you've devalued the guitar beyond the broken headstock issue. Points to ponder.

A photo of the current condition would be helpful.
Yes. You did fail to mention that a properly done glue joint is actually stronger than the original wood.
Old 02-18-2018, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenT View Post
,,,,...... W/ a Stew Mac neck you've devalued the guitar beyond the broken headstock issue. Points to ponder. A photo of the current condition would be helpful.
All correct. A photo would allow a resident builder/luthier to advise you better. Most head/neck breaks can be repaired to almost unnoticeable and perfectly functional.
Old 02-18-2018, 03:12 PM

Well, if a good tech and good luthier can't confirm that it's a sound repair, it probably isn't. You're unclear as to who did the repair or how; generally, a competent repair person can do a permanent fix -- the variable being what is needed to make the fix permanent (splines, etc.) I would either fix the existing neck -- almost anything can be fixed well, and minimally visible, by a good repair person -- or buy a new guitar. Replacing the neck is a major change, and the result may or may not sound and feel like the original guitar. The market value would plummet. There's no shortage of great D28s
at good prices. In fact, there's a glut. For me, bottom line, I'd be getting the original neck rebuilt.
Old 02-18-2018, 03:13 PM

I do all my own repairs.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 02-19-2018, 03:33 AM

Surely there are good luthiers in Denmark? If not you could always visit Stockholm and Jam.se - they 4-5 people doing repairs full-time I believe and make really sophisticated jobs
Old 02-19-2018, 07:49 AM

This is what it looked like before the repair:

https://imgur.com/OR8i3Sm
https://imgur.com/OR8i3Sm

And this is what it looks like now:

https://imgur.com/a/GMzNS

I'm not super concerned with how it looks. I mostly care about the actual structural integrity of the instrument. My tech told me this break was a hard thing to do properly because of the way the pores were split and, for that reason, he couldn't guarantee it would hold forever.

So far there has been no issues. However, I tend to not stay in one tuning for long which means the tension changes frequently which worries me a bit.

I might consider buying some neck blanks and take it from there. That should cut some of those costly working hours. I realise this might devalue my instrument even more, but that's not really something I care about. I like the soul of it.
Old 02-19-2018, 08:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crafter ga6 View Post
Minimize movement and get to hospital
You beat me to it! I love responding to the titles only...get a cervical collar immediately and call your local 1-800 attorney.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair