The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-17-2018, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frets4fun View Post
I wouldn't buy a fake anything, regardless of the price. But, that's just me.
Unfortunately a lot of people don't feel that way. People are just so pleased with themselves when they can save a buck.

On a car forum this guy bought a Chinese knockoff of an OEM turbo for about 1/3 the price of an OEM turbo and at first start up it leaked oil profusely. He was just overjoyed that when he took it back for warranty the 2nd Chinese turbo he got came with free gaskets.

It's like: "Son, that turbo could have hydrolocked your engine and destroyed it". He didn't care because holy cow, he got free gaskets!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-17-2018, 01:41 PM
Guest 1511

Just because there is no logo doesn't mean it's not intellectual theft. I'd feel funny owning one of these guitars. It would feel like owning illegitimate goods.
Old 02-17-2018, 01:55 PM
Charter Member

I saw that listing this morning and noticed the brand was listed as "Chaylor" so it's not like the seller is trying to fool anyone.

If a well respected luthier like Ken Hooper can make repros of Martin D-18s and even call them D-18s why not? It's an attractive guitar. If it's put together right and plays well it's worth a few hundred bucks.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 02-17-2018, 03:21 PM

I am opossed to buying a forgery that says it’s a Martin or Taylor or anything else that is is not. I am not opposed to buying one of those guitars with a different name on it. At one point I’d thought about buying one with my name on it but decided against it. From what I’ve seen in reviews everything on them are positive They seem to sound good and look sharp. As for needing set up, most guitars will need that. The guitars r made in China just like nice Alvarez or Eastman guitars Heck probably the same workers doing the construction
As for price no I don’t think it’s worth $800. At that price order a copy somewhere else or buy a use Larrivee.
As for copy guitars in general. Most normal ppl can not and will not ever be able to afford a fancy name brand or custom guitar with the details like the inlays in these guitars. A lot of folks r doing good to hav a car worth what some of the “real” guitars r
Old 02-17-2018, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Rat View Post
Just because there is no logo doesn't mean it's not intellectual theft. I'd feel funny owning one of these guitars. It would feel like owning illegitimate goods.
How much different does a product have to be to be considered "following a trend" as opposed to intellectual theft?
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 02-17-2018, 05:27 PM

The tuners seem to be Gotohs, which aren't cheap themselves. If they're the 21:1 ratio ones, 1/3 of the price goes towards that.

I hope all this Chaylor and Chartin talk doesn't put bad light on Charis Guitars!
Old 02-17-2018, 05:34 PM

The ad says it's a fake PS model.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 02-17-2018, 08:23 PM

If it's not labeled I have a hard time finding fault.
Larrivee OM 03E
Aria AP-STD
Gibson TB-2 conversion banjo
Price Cavalier banjo
Old 02-19-2018, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChalkLitIScream View Post
The tuners seem to be Gotohs, which aren't cheap themselves. If they're the 21:1 ratio ones, 1/3 of the price goes towards that.
“SEEM” to be is right.

All that real gold must add to the cost too.

Not for me thanks, I’m happy with my genuine Faylur .
Old 02-19-2018, 07:26 AM

Default morals

The replies so far have been pretty much one sided, but I see this as a curious question, mainly, how far does it have to go to stop being intellectual theft? Removing the labels removes the most obvious. Rebranding takes it a step further. I have no problem with the "Ch" preceding the name you are copying as it tells the consumer what you are trying to do yet make it clear that this is a Chinese copy.

Regarding the two that the OP pictured, the differences in the inlay and the rosette are enough to easily tell them apart. which is good.

The harder part are design features, construction methods - bracing, neck attachment. We see this all the time on perfectly acceptable-to-all US-made guitars. How many make Dreads that we don't complain about? That's a Martin thing.... well, it used to be. Or the Taylor bolt-on neck? How about a Manzer wedge? That's copywritten and I'll bet not all makers who use it have done so with permission of Linda Manzer.

So, we've got essentially the same kind of thing going on in the high value market here at home and we don't get the same kind of disgust over copying or ripping off intellectual property? Why not? Really, other than price, what is the difference?

I am asking these questions to get answers more than to play Devil's advocate.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 02-19-2018, 08:01 AM
Guest 2434

ooooohh, shiney!
Old 02-19-2018, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChalkLitIScream View Post

I hope all this Chaylor and Chartin talk doesn't put bad light on Charis Guitars!
Not real Gotohs.
The ad has this:
Quote:
Gotoh 510 style tuners (not real Gotohs, but very nice)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion