The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-17-2018, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeStone View Post
Dave's right AGAIN

Yes.. The Play Acoustic does work really well.

Today I used a Boss AD-2 Preamp pedal in front .. With it's Acoustic Resonance and Ambiance features. It works way better for my setup than the PA's Bodyrez for my Baggs M80 mag pup.

This was the missing link for me...
I am really satisfied with my sound.

As an FYI - the Boss AD-2 has dual outs.. One I route to the Play Acoustic to pickup chords for Harmonies ( then I turned off the guitar output from the Play Acoustic - Thanks Marty for the tip) .... So then the other is a balanced output which goes to my Bose speaker system (S1 Pro).

Ha! This would be the first time I was right about any two things consecutively.

On another note, the guitar body Rez effects in the PA pedal are really designed to improve a basic piezo pickup. Few of the enthusiasts on the board here use a simple setup like that. So, it’s not surprising that the basic guitar features might not appeal to all of us. That said, when I was playing a K&K into the pedal, I liked Body Rez two on 30% mix. It happened to work with that guitar. The Boss seems to get better reviews for guitar processing. Both work fine for a gig. Since you can edit every parameter in the Play Acoustic would can eventually get the right settings if you want to spend the time in the advanced menus.
Old 02-17-2018, 03:31 PM

Yep Gary.. I should check out the Platinum Pro Eq next.
Old 02-17-2018, 04:07 PM

Well.. if you post enough then you will be right twice in a while.

As for PA's advanced Eq .. it is not so easy to dial in. I much prefer knobs.
But like you said.. the PA is not perfect. But it is very usable..

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Ha! This would be the first time I was right about any two things consecutively.

On another note, the guitar body Rez effects in the PA pedal are really designed to improve a basic piezo pickup. Few of the enthusiasts on the board here use a simple setup like that. So, it’s not surprising that the basic guitar features might not appeal to all of us. That said, when I was playing a K&K into the pedal, I liked Body Rez two on 30% mix. It happened to work with that guitar. The Boss seems to get better reviews for guitar processing. Both work fine for a gig. Since you can edit every parameter in the Play Acoustic would can eventually get the right settings if you want to spend the time in the advanced menus.
Old 05-23-2020, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Dave's right AGAIN

Today I used a Boss AD-2 Preamp pedal in front .. With it's Acoustic Resonance and Ambiance features. It works way better for my setup than the PA's Bodyrez for my Baggs M80 mag pup.

As an FYI - the Boss AD-2 has dual outs.. One I route to the Play Acoustic to pickup chords for Harmonies ( then I turned off the guitar output from the Play Acoustic - Thanks Marty for the tip) .... So then the other is a balanced output which goes to my Bose speaker system (S1 Pro).

I considered doing something similar with my Play Acoustic. I'm playing a Gibson Songwriter Deluxe with a LR Baggs Anthem SL pickup. I may try going into my Radial JDI and then out to my Soundcraft EFX8 mixer and utilize that path for my guitar signal path.....and then take the parallel input/output bypass out of the JDI to send to the Play Acoustic just to provide guitar input for harmonies. Then I would just utilize the Play Acoustic for vocal processing. Not sure yet if i would miss the bodyrez or any other guitar processing from the Play Acoustic.
Old 05-23-2020, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Dave's right AGAIN

I considered doing something similar with my Play Acoustic. I'm playing a Gibson Songwriter Deluxe with a LR Baggs Anthem SL pickup. I may try going into my Radial JDI and then out to my Soundcraft EFX8 mixer and utilize that path for my guitar signal path.....and then take the parallel input/output bypass out of the JDI to send to the Play Acoustic just to provide guitar input for harmonies. Then I would just utilize the Play Acoustic for vocal processing. Not sure yet if i would miss the bodyrez or any other guitar processing from the Play Acoustic.
Old 05-23-2020, 07:28 AM

Quote:
So the Play Acoustic is the kitchen sink for both Guitar and Vocal effects.
It's all rolled into one fairly compact unit.
The vocal sounds work fantastic for me.

But lately I have been considering other units for shaping my guitar sound.

Just curious if the TCH Harmony Singer unit will give me most of the Vocal features of the Play Ac....
Vocal Tone, Reverb and Harmonies.

Is it same or close to Play Acoustic in this regard... Or am I missing something?
TC HElicon DUPLICATOR

I'm probably going to trade in my Mic Mechanic for this...
I had been noticing the Mic Mechanic seem to lose volume after a while of playing with a condenser Mic...
Come to find out it's meant to be used with condensers but it only supplies 24v WTF??? So I figured a condenser that requires 48v is over taxing it and causing to fade...
The DUPLICATOR
does everything that the Mic Mechanic will do but without the 24-48v which I don't need do to the Mixer I have...

Check out the DUPLICATOR
Old 05-23-2020, 08:56 AM

I use the Play Acoustic and I love it. Incredibly flexible and the harmonies are excellent. I use the TC helicon switch 3 to control the guitar effects and I have tweaked the body Rez settings for my 6 and 12 strings. I have turned Global Guitar Effects off and have set 10 presets for harmony and guitar effects that I use regularly. This way I can set the guitar effects for each song.

I find that this box more than others any requires time to get the tone right. The presets out of the box are too in your fave, levels need to be backed down a fair amount for it to seem natural.
Old 05-23-2020, 09:40 AM
Charter Member

Harmony Singer for me, hands down. I went back to that and other separate pedals after trying the Play Acoustic for a few months.
B
Old 05-23-2020, 09:51 AM

Same here. Went back to the Harmony GTX pedal plus separate pedals for guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Nelson View Post
Harmony Singer for me, hands down. I went back to that and other separate pedals after trying the Play Acoustic for a few months.
B
Old 05-23-2020, 10:14 AM

I still have my Harmony GTX. I had the play acoustic and the vocals sounded good and guitar sounded meh. I also have the Harmony singer and that's the best of the play acoustic, and it runs on 9 volts and is pedalboard friendly.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification