The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-18-2018, 02:19 PM

No kidding, that is just gorgeous!
Old 02-18-2018, 02:22 PM

I ended up getting an OM-28 VTS with a Sitka top. I ended up selling it as I was GASing for a D-18GE which I just got. I do think eventually I’d like to get a Guat OM though
Old 02-18-2018, 04:41 PM

I have had a Guatemalan/Adirondack 000 for a couple of weeks now and love the guitar. The dealer had a Honduran/Andirondack OM a couple of years ago and I messed around until they finally sold it to someone else. I was relieved and sad all at the same time. I think this one is basically the same. I think the comments about lack of bass must be for a particular guitar. Mine is loud and open across the spectrum. They also have a D with the same wood combo which is just excellent, but my D closet is full.

https://imgur.com/hxlNR8i

https://imgur.com/nw9MR2w

https://imgur.com/EAykEHh
Old 02-18-2018, 08:19 PM

Lovely OM28 style guitar. I agree with you about the bass. Mine has a big bass but unlike EIR, it is focused and is not muddy, even when the strings get old.
Old 02-19-2018, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Mc View Post
I have had a Guatemalan/Adirondack 000 for a couple of weeks now and love the guitar.
Congrats on that beauty, Jeff. That guatback is stunning. It’s probably the closest I’ve seen to mine although I see hints of red in yours and mine is purely shades of brown. Aesthetically, Guat may be the most dramatic of Rosewoods currently in play.

Martin’s exotic wood buyer was made fun of a while back when asked where his Guat was sourced after he said, “in a secret valley in an unnamed country” but wherever it is, Martin seems to be putting out some beautiful Guat these days. It sure didn’t sound like Martin’s supply was limited.

Last edited by IndyHD28; 02-19-2018 at 07:49 AM.
Old 02-19-2018, 08:29 AM

Just out of curiosity, what is it? Is this the same species that's sometimes called Honduran Rosewood (Stevensonii)?
Old 02-19-2018, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djg View Post
Just out of curiosity, what is it? Is this the same species that's sometimes called Honduran Rosewood (Stevensonii)?
Not according to Martin. At least two Martin employees are on the record stating that their Guat is Dalbergia Tucurensis which is also sometimes called Honduran or Panamanian. Bottom line, it is making beautiful looking and sounding guitars. Mine is dramatically grained and consistently brown from dark to light with no hint of red or yellow. The closest thing to it I’ve seen is Cocobolo, although that will also have hints of coloration.
Old 02-19-2018, 11:06 AM

I've got a custom shop deep body OM42 in Guatemalan / Adirondack.

I've owned many top end guitars over the years, including a number of Brazilians - the Guatemalan comes closer to Brazilian than any other rosewood I have heard.
Old 02-19-2018, 03:05 PM

Default Guatemalan vs EIR Rosewood

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
I've got a custom shop deep body OM42 in Guatemalan / Adirondack.

I've owned many top end guitars over the years, including a number of Brazilians - the Guatemalan comes closer to Brazilian than any other rosewood I have heard.

When I was in Gruhns auditioning my 0000 I had a D28GE and 1942 D28 beside me for comparison. The Guat was very close to the BRW guitars. My plan was to buy the GE but I left with the Guat. No kidding around.
Old 02-19-2018, 03:59 PM

Good to hear the Guat tone so well respected by so many highly experienced players and builders. I wonder how long until supplies become problematic and/or cost prohibitive?
Old 03-16-2018, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyHD28 View Post
Can some one tell us the current upgrade price for G over I in Martin’s Custom Shop? This will help me confirm the premium I’m paying for my custom later this morning.
Don’t know if this helps but maybe for future readers. This week I purchased a 000-28vs custom from wildwood with ei/Adi. They had the exact same model but with guat b/s for $800 more. I didn’t have a problem going with the ei model cuz I figured the body is a bit smaller than a D, coupled with the adi top would have a good balance across. And boy was I right.
Old 03-17-2018, 01:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12guitdown View Post
Don’t know if this helps but maybe for future readers. This week I purchased a 000-28vs custom from wildwood with ei/Adi. They had the exact same model but with guat b/s for $800 more. I didn’t have a problem going with the ei model cuz I figured the body is a bit smaller than a D, coupled with the adi top would have a good balance across. And boy was I right.
Welcome to the forum , and congrats on the new Martin! Did you have a chance to play both 000s and hear the differences, or was it an online purchase?
Col
Old 03-17-2018, 01:05 AM

It seems to me that when you order a factory guitar sight unseen, it is purely luck of the draw whether you end up with a grrat guitar or merely an adequate guitar. That factor dilutes the cost effectiveness of tonewood upgrades.

Why not spend your money on a luthier with a track record in building martin replicas? There r good luthiers in every budget point when it comes to the martin tradition. Then your Guatemalan rosewood upgrade will have a better chance of being worth it.
Old 03-17-2018, 10:18 AM
AGF Sponsor

I have been singing the praises of D. tucurensis for nearly 40 years now and have built something like 40 instruments from it over that time. I got quite a bit of it at that time from Handloggers Hardwood, the same source that “the Tree” came from in the USA. Until my supply started to dwindle (currently 25 sets left of the original 135) I did not charge any more for tuc than I charged for Mahogany, both were at base price. The material combines the friendliness of mahogany with the projection of rosewood. If there were only one wood available to me for everyman’s guitar, Dalbergia tucurensis would be my choice. IMO, of course.
Old 03-17-2018, 02:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs146 View Post
Do you think the $1,000 up charge is worth it?
Without comparing EIR to GRW, it's hard to know whether the upcharge is worth it. Also, it might not be worth it to me, but it might be worth it to you, depending on the sound you like.

My own experience with good pieces of EIR is that the added bass can be very helpful on an OM size guitar. Then again, I like bass, and the typical lack of bass on many OM guitars makes them less attractive to me, though I own 3 OM/000 size guitars. Two of my OM's are made from EIR and one (a Collings OM1A) is from mahogany, but has a dread depth body to bring out more bass. The two OM guitars made with EIR are a Martin 000-28VS (12-fret neck design, known for its bass) and a Santa Cruz OM/PW (also known for its bass).

- Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion