The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-05-2011, 12:15 PM

Default Whiskey Before Breakfast

What's you favourite guitar version of Whiskey Before Breakfast? And why? I want to learn this tune, but I've encountered tons of different arrangements! I'm confused!
Old 12-05-2011, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipmunk View Post
What's you favourite guitar version of Whiskey Before Breakfast? And why? I want to learn this tune, but I've encountered tons of different arrangements! I'm confused!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4L9fBPUswjU
Old 12-05-2011, 12:36 PM

I found a version in "C" that I like but I find that most people know it in "D" (which is easy to capo to).

It's a fun tune and the runs are easy to memorize, I find I don't even think about it when I play it - it actually messes me up to try and read the music while I play this tune, same with St. Anne's Reel.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:51 PM

There are lots of recordings of WBB, but the parts are essentially the same, just arranged differently.

For guitar, its played in C postion capo'd on the 2nd fret, D, or Drop D. I play it out of the C position. C puts the melody in the middle of the finger board, and I find it easy to crosspick out of C. The reason is played in the key of D is for the fiddle and mandolin players.

Find the simplest version possible and learn that, either key works. I find it easier to learn fiddle tunes from listening to fiddle players or mandolin players. Check out the video of Robert Bowlin below and listen to Brad Davis' part.

Some of my favorite versions are from Norman Blake (he played it the C position capo 3...making it Eb) and Robert Bowlin (he plays it out of Drop D).

Norman Blake- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYau7QfiiuM
Robert Bowlin - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtxdaAui4tw
Old 12-05-2011, 12:52 PM

It's my mandolin version. Teenage daughter for scale.

http://youtu.be/rOde2fz0kjs

f-d
Old 12-05-2011, 01:05 PM

I let my fiddler decide the key & wing it
Old 12-05-2011, 01:18 PM

I like both Norman Blake's and Tony Rice's versions. On the Norman Blake youtube clip he plays it capoed on the 3rd fret in the key of D# and out of the "C" chord position.

Tom
Old 12-05-2011, 01:37 PM

When I play the melody myself, I play it in C formation and either leave it uncapoed or else capo at the second fret. But when I play backup guitar for a fiddler playing the tune, I prefer the sonority of the chords in D formation.

I'm old school when it comes to backing up fiddlers: the guitar can't match the volume level of the fiddle, anyway, and the whole low end drops out when the guitar takes the melody. So when I back up a fiddler, that's what I do. I'll play fragments of the melody in the bass runs, but the main job for the guitar when playing with a traditional fiddler is to provide the rhythm and the low end.

That's how we played it back in Missouri, and I still approach it that way.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 12-05-2011, 01:58 PM
Eric Skye

I play this tune in Drop D tuning
Old 12-05-2011, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
When I play the melody myself, I play it in C formation and either leave it uncapoed or else capo at the second fret. But when I play backup guitar for a fiddler playing the tune, I prefer the sonority of the chords in D formation.

I'm old school when it comes to backing up fiddlers: the guitar can't match the volume level of the fiddle, anyway, and the whole low end drops out when the guitar takes the melody. So when I back up a fiddler, that's what I do. I'll play fragments of the melody in the bass runs, but the main job for the guitar when playing with a traditional fiddler is to provide the rhythm and the low end.

That's how we played it back in Missouri, and I still approach it that way.

Wade Hampton Miller

Yeah, Wade, I can't think of a better way to approach fiddle songs either. I know exactly what you're talking about when the guitar takes the melody or solo, the entire bottom and body drops from the song. It at least helps to have a mandolin or, ideally, another guitar. But it sounds better if you can keep some sort of rhythm going when playing with a lone fiddle.

Tom
Old 12-05-2011, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbluegrass View Post
Yeah, Wade, I can't think of a better way to approach fiddle songs either. I know exactly what you're talking about when the guitar takes the melody or solo, the entire bottom and body drops from the song. It at least helps to have a mandolin or, ideally, another guitar. But it sounds better if you can keep some sort of rhythm going when playing with a lone fiddle.
Right. I actually first started playing guitar as a backup guitarist for fiddlers. There's a distinct Missouri fiddle style, and the role of the guitar in it is well-defined. That's how I first learned to play, playing the I and V notes on the bass strings while brushing chords on the offbeat.

It's different when there's another guitar or, as at Winfield, there might be a DOZEN other guitars playing along. Then playing the melody or melodic variations on guitar makes more musical sense.

It's also different when you're playing bluegrass, as opposed to square dance music or mountain music. Each stringed instrument taking the lead in turn is well-established tradition in bluegrass music.

But when you're playing for dancers, showboating on the guitar is musically counterproductive, and really undermines the whole thing, in a way.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 12-05-2011, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Right. I actually first started playing guitar as a backup guitarist for fiddlers. There's a distinct Missouri fiddle style, and the role of the guitar in it is well-defined. That's how I first learned to play, playing the I and V notes on the bass strings while brushing chords on the offbeat.

It's different when there's another guitar or, as at Winfield, there might be a DOZEN other guitars playing along. Then playing the melody or melodic variations on guitar makes more musical sense.

It's also different when you're playing bluegrass, as opposed to square dance music or mountain music. Each stringed instrument taking the lead in turn is well-established tradition in bluegrass music.

But when you're playing for dancers, showboating on the guitar is musically counterproductive, and really undermines the whole thing, in a way.

Wade Hampton Miller

So you're saying...leave my Marshall stack and pointy guitar at home for fiddle and BG jams?

Tom
Old 12-05-2011, 02:50 PM

Well said Wade! I rarely take my turn at lead and I have my hands full trying to keep up with my son who's a whizbang fiddler. The bluegrass scene in Ventura is very good and inlcudes of a wide range of players from pro to newbie. Bluegrass in Ventura is a true Ventucky sound!
Old 12-05-2011, 03:43 PM

My favorite whiskey before breakfast is a smooth one, more like a Glenfiddich. I leave the Laphroaig until after dinner.

Kolaya Carmen, Trek parlor (by Harv L), Martin 000-28EC, Taylor GC-5 and 355.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by min7b5 View Post
I play this tune in Drop D tuning
In what key or capo position?
-2016 Martin OOL-17
(Others)
-2004 Martin DCX1E
-2015 Washburn RO10 (for the road)

FOR SALE
-2004 Fender Mexican Stratocaster with American pickups and a block installed for pitch stability of the floating tremolo, good condition. Black finish/Maple fretboard.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion